Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

OK guys I read the quotes in the game thread and to tell you the truth I can't believe DanO has said this to anyone. Kearns is the best player on the team when he is healthy in my opinion. I say DanO didn't say it... What do you think?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

Hal's trying to sell papers. That's what I think. We'll see. Came off as gossip that Hal placed just a bit too much emphasis on.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I guess we'll find out

Hal said that "a couple people" "in the clubhouse" "have a theory." Which is that Kearns struggled in Spring Training and during the regular season, so DanO hasn't seen Kearns at his best. Therefore, he may think AK isn't ready for the bigs, and wants to see him put up consistent numbers in the minors first.

It's a plausible theory. After all, LaRue got the call to return after going one-for-nine, yet Kearns stays down with a .385 average. Something clearly is going on here.

On the other hand, you'd think that DanO, in his role as an Asst. GM last year, would be familiar with Ears.

OTOH, if DanO knew his ML players, he wouldn't have to think so hard about potential transactions.

Regardless of how you interpret this, you've got to question DanO's competance, during either this year or last.

In any case, Hal's just reporting a plausible theory he heard. That's his job.
    Last edited by Redsland; 05-18-2004 at 07:54 PM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I'm taking it with a pound of salt since Hal said it, but if Dan O think Kearns is not mlb ready then he needs to review tapes from last season and the season before
    Go Gators!

Like DanO can judge talent. He thinks Kearns isn't major league Ready but Romano is. Just who I want running the team.

Tonight's game
    "Kearns walked in the first and later was singled in, and then was walked in his second AB."
    So if they not going to pitch to him what good is the Rehab, DanO.
    Kearns now has like 1.300ops at AAA What more does DanO need.
    Last edited by Redmachine2003; 05-18-2004 at 08:09 PM.

Why does anyone listen to Hal McCoy? And further, why would anyone get worked up about what he says? If you believe what he was saying is true, let me tell ya about some land I got to sell.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Why does anyone listen to Hal McCoy? And further, why would anyone get worked up about what he says? If you believe what he was saying is true, let me tell ya about some land I got to sell.
    I could see DanO saying something like that...

However, I guess you can't jump to conclusions until the article comes out and we see what sort of quotes are in it and who said them.

Hopefully it's nothing

For a Level Playing Field

woy...

AAA rehab is get your timing down-pat. I'd say, by the numbers, that he has got his timing down-pat. And maybe to get some confidence at the same time. Time to cut the crap and get AK back in RF on this team. I have not watched AK in Louisville, but I have read about it. He s/b back... now.

I think (I hope for the sake of this team) that this story is a bunch of hogwash-rumor-bull that Hal is trying to make into a story. If not, I'd say we have a nut-case for a GM.

One more thing... it is known that Hal and Marty are buds. I seemed to notice "glee" (for lack of a better term) in Marty's voice when he heard this story from Hal. Almost as if he was happy to hear the tale or perhaps he was happy to be the 1st media to "break the story". Just seemed weird (Hal's story and Marty's tone).

tremere

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Tonight's game
    "Kearns walked in the first and later was singled in, and then was walked in his second AB."
    So if they not going to pitch to him what good is the Rehab, DanO.
    Kearns now has like 1.300ops at AAA What more does DanO need.
    How many years has Kearns played in the big leagues? Two. Considering the total number of AB's over two seasons (715), he is in a serious sophomore slump. In other words, lots of players do great in their first full season, then either burn bright or fizzle. Even if his performance has been due to injury, then you have to consider that he doesn't belong in the majors at this point anyway, since he really needs a lot of REST.

Typical Hal, twist words to fit your agenda. What was probably said that Kearns isn't "physical" ready to come back yet, and they just aren't talking about broken bones.

Hal didn't say it! He was repeating what he said he heard in the clubhouse (though I'm not sure he should be doing that). That being said, perhaps the "couple of people" in the clubhouse were being sarcastic too. He said the players were wondering why he hadn't been called back.

Regarding DO, when he made his "acceptance" speech after being hired, didn't he say he was going to watch tapes over the winter to become familiar with the players? I guess he didn't look at Austin's very carefully if he truly doesn't realize how good he is. Not only that, but you'd think someone would have enlightened him by now... Miley certainly knows.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-18-2004 at 09:48 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Maybe the Reds want to get one last look at Pena before recalling Kearns.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?