Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

Re: Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

:MandJ:
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm guessing this is where it is from:

Waiting game: Despite going 3-for-5 with two doubles on Monday, the Reds decided not to call up outfielder Austin Kearns from his Triple-A rehab assignment.

Kearns, who is rehabbing from a fractured left forearm, is hitting .385 (10-for-26) with three doubles, a triple, two home runs, eight RBIs, a stolen base and five runs scored during seven games with Triple-A Louisville.

"I'm really surprised he's not up here," Casey said. "We're talking about Austin Kearns He's one of the best hitters in baseball. When I talked to him he said he feels great so yeah I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by tremere
    How many years has Kearns played in the big leagues? Two. Considering the total number of AB's over two seasons (715), he is in a serious sophomore slump. In other words, lots of players do great in their first full season, then either burn bright or fizzle. Even if his performance has been due to injury, then you have to consider that he doesn't belong in the majors at this point anyway, since he really needs a lot of REST.
    Consider that the Reds kept playing Kearns 30 games after he tore up his should I would not consider this a sophomore slump. I was willing to write off April for Kearns to get his timing back as his shoulder got better. I was thinking May was going to be better for him as his shoulder got stronger and his timing got better. The same with Jr who also had shoulder surgery last year. Kearns swing got longer and slower last year after he hurt his shoulder and it started out that way this year but as the year went on watching him his swing was getting shorter and faster but his eye at the plate was still off and then he got hit by that pitch. 550 abs batting over .300 and after hurting his shoulder 150 plus abs batting under .200 I tend to say injury over slump.
    Last edited by Redmachine2003; 05-18-2004 at 10:53 PM.

Isn't kind of obvious DO likes Romano since he was one of the people responsible for drafting him originally? Am I wrong/misinformed there? I don't know that it's such a bad idea to have Kearns rehab in AAA for a couple of weeks to get back in a groove, but yeah you gotta wonder why he wasn't back tonight.

A little odd.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I was all about keeping Kearns down in AAA for a week to 10 days to get him back in his groove....it seems as if he's back in it so far

I say bring him back this week, assuming something unforseen doesn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Isn't kind of obvious DO likes Romano since he was one of the people responsible for drafting him originally? Am I wrong/misinformed there? I don't know that it's such a bad idea to have Kearns rehab in AAA for a couple of weeks to get back in a groove, but yeah you gotta wonder why he wasn't back tonight.

A little odd.

Romano was drafted by Texas, his AAA line in a hitters league is alot like Hummel, he should be an infielder.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?2180

Hal's a hack. Always has been!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Hal haters get me down.

He's a guy trying to do a job. In my opinion, he does it well.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Kearns still needs activity to build up his shoulder muscle from his surgery. Numbers don't tell you everything, especially with this sample size.

Does it hurt when he swings in either his arm or his forearm? Is the guy sore the next day? How does his swing look? Does he look like he is 100% or is getting lucky.

Maybe there is a trade in the works that he wants to give a couple of days on before being pushed on a roster move. Maybe Kearns was batting under the Mendoza line before he was hurt and they would like to see him really get rolling for a little bit and get full confidence back before bringing him up.

There are lots of reasons why you might not make this move tonight. And Hal's quote could have EASILY been misquoted or misconstrued.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Before I scream and yell (which is always a possibility) I'd like to see the story, see the quotes, and see who is quoted....if DanO isn't quoted of the sort, then it is most likely speculation based on what other people said.

Not saying he's not trying to do his job and I don't hate the guy. In my opinion, he doesn't do it very well. I've read plenty of McCoy columns and I can't remember ever reading anything that made me think he's a good writer or really knows baseball all that well. He loves the game and I'm sure he's a good enough guy. I just don't find him especially insightful or interesting to read. I don't know what makes him hall worthy other than the fact that he's been around a long time.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Before I scream and yell (which is always a possibility) I'd like to see the story, see the quotes, and see who is quoted....if DanO isn't quoted of the sort, then it is most likely speculation based on what other people said.
    Based on what he said on the radio, I expect the clubhouse chatter to be "not for attribution." I suspect Hal will try to corner DanO, but will either get a dismissal of the claim or an "unavailable for comment."
    Makes all the routine posts.

If what Hal allegedly stated is true, I have to wonder what the FO is thinking. He was certainly ready for the ML's last year at this time when he was near the top in RBI's. But no one knows if this is true until someone from the FO comes out and says so.

Regardless, I'm not sure I see the logic in not bringing him up. It's not as if they have bided their time by playing Pena on a regular basis to see if increased reps will prove him worthy of a roster spot. Instead they have played the likes of Freel (who I like), Romano, Cruz and sparingly Pena in his absence. No real plan and such no real reason to keep him down. This isn't a rookie they're afraid to rush to the majors. He's been in the league three years (injuries aside). He's proven himself worthy of a roster spot when available.

My big concern is not that DO doesn't think AK is ready for the ML's, but that he is so afraid to make a roster move because most scenarios would have him lose a player to waivers - Romano, Pena, Cruz (?). Let's make a decision to help the club. I was impressed that he was able/willing to dump Haynes, but equally perplexed about this non-move.

I really have to wonder about DanO. So far I would have to say I am not impressed at all by him. I am not sure what team he is watching because I am not seeing the same thing in some of the players he is.

The Reds once again let the media tell the story rather than tell the story themselves. I know DanO likes to play things close to the vest and not blab all kinds of stuff out there but in this case it was a bad move. When Kearns was sent down on rehab he could have said, "We're giving him so long down there then we'll call him up." or "We'll keep him down there a few days, evaluate him and make a decision at that time." Instead all we get are shrugs and "I dunnos" about Austin's status. Since no one knows what exactly his status is it becomes a breeding ground for rumor and innuendo. Maybe these guys who talked to Hal have it in for DanO so they concoct some rumor that DanO doesn't think Kearns is big league material. Now whether this is true or not is irrelevant. Even if Hal goes to DanO and tells him he's going to run a story that says that DanO thinks Kearns is a stiff and DanO denies it, people aren't going to believe him. If he doesn't comment it looks just as bad because it looks like they are hiding something. Instead of being open and controlling the story from their end, DanO and the Reds let the story play them. From now on this is going to stick to DanO like the "Old 30" remark stuck to Bill DeWitt. Whenever Kearns does something good people are going to say, "And O'Brien didn't think he could play. What does he know?" It doesn't matter if it's true because people are going to believe it's true even if DanO swears on a stack of bibles that it isn't. JimBo's problem was that he didn't know when to keep his mouth shut. DanO's problem may be that he doesn't know when to open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?