Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

May 25, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

CINCINNATI -- Ken Griffey Jr. let the glare speak for itself.

Griffey stared angrily into the Florida Marlins' dugout after he rounded third base on his 492nd career Tuesday night, a three-run shot that sent the surging Cincinnati Reds to a 5-2 victory and left some feelings ruffled.

For the third time in five days, an opposing manager chose to intentionally walk Sean Casey, the NL's leading hitter, to get to Griffey with a game on the line.

The All-Century outfielder evidently is taking it personally.

"Junior has a tendency to respond well to criticism and controversy and challenges," said shortstop Barry Larkin, who also homered. "Walking the guy in front of him is definitely a challenge."

Griffey also has a tendency to avoid reporters after a high-profile game, and did so on Tuesday.

The glare had everybody else talking.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamece...040525_FLA@CIN
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

I saw the game, and I would not call his stare angry.....it was more of a "take that" look and according to Gammons, it was pointed directly AT trader Jack.

I do NOT think JR would stare at another ballplayer....as that seems to be taboo. But I think he really likes taking it to McKeon's attempt at strategy.

What I LOVED about this AB was the way JR swung. The bend the knees as he strides is JR 6-7 years ago. If he has THAT part of his game going again, we could be looking at an MVP type performance from him.

Beckett seems to be ticked about it.

Beckett didn't see the glare, either, but was upset when told about it.

"I'm glad you told me that," he said. "I didn't see it. I do take offense to that."

Beckett said he didn't care "if he's a Hall of Famer or not. I don't think I'll forget it. I don't know what he's staring at."

GAME DAY RECAP Tuesday, May 25
    Griffey Makes Marlins Pay for Walking Casey

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Ken Griffey Jr. let the glare speak for itself.

Griffey stared angrily into the Florida Marlins' dugout after he rounded third base on his 492nd career homer Tuesday night, a three-run shot that sent the surging Cincinnati Reds to a 5-2 victory and left some feelings ruffled.

For the third time in five days, an opposing manager chose to intentionally walk Sean Casey, the NL's leading hitter, to get to Griffey with a game on the line.

The All-Century outfielder evidently is taking it personally.

"Junior has a tendency to respond well to criticism and controversy and challenges," said shortstop Barry Larkin, who also homered. "Walking the guy in front of him is definitely a challenge."

Griffey also has a tendency to avoid reporters after a high-profile game, and did so on Tuesday.

The glare had everybody else talking.

"That's something about Griff," said Casey, who is hitting .379. "He can turn on the switch when he gets angry."

He evidently was angry at Marlins manager Jack McKeon, who decided to have Josh Beckett face Griffey in the sixth inning with the game tied at 1. McKeon played the odds, figuring Beckett had a better chance of getting Griffey, who strikes out more than twice as often as Casey.

Plus, Griffey had never hit a homer off Beckett, the World Series MVP.

McKeon managed Griffey in Cincinnati in 2000, when he came to his hometown team in a trade. McKeon was fired after a second-place finish that year, and went on to lead the Marlins to a World Series title last season.

McKeon didn't see the glare and passed it off as a natural reaction to having someone intentionally walked.

"I think everybody would be (thinking): 'I'll fix you," McKeon said.

"I'm glad you told me that," he said. "I didn't see it. I do take offense to that."

Beckett said he didn't care "if he's a Hall of Famer or not. I don't think I'll forget it. I don't know what he's staring at."

Only Griffey knew for sure.

His third homer in three games kept Paul Wilson (7-0) on the best start of his career and extended the Reds' winning streak to seven games, their longest in two years. Cincinnati has the NL's best record at 27-18 after winning 10 of its last 11 games.

Larkin added a solo homer and a run-scoring single, helping the Reds hold onto first place in the NL Central for a second day.

Wilson, who has never had a winning record or more than eight victories in any season, joined Houston's Roger Clemens at 7-0 with another solid performance.

The right-hander gave up seven hits in seven innings, including Miguel Cabrera's tying RBI single in the sixth as a thunderstorm approached. Fans were urged to leave the exposed upper deck in the middle of the inning.

With heavy rain falling, Ryan Freel singled to open the Reds' sixth, then took second on Larkin's groundout. Casey was intentionally walked to bring up Griffey.

Beckett became the 310th pitcher to give up a homer to Griffey, who passed Fred McGriff into 21st place on the career list.

Houston manager Jimy Williams intentionally walked Casey twice to face Griffey during the Reds' recently completed four-game sweep. Griffey hit a tiebreaking RBI double in a 7-4 win on Friday, then grounded out in a sweep-clinching 7-5 victory on Monday night.

Wilson, 31, has been a cornerstone for the Reds' turnaround, evolving into their most dependable starter. He had never beaten the Marlins, going 0-3 with a 4.50 ERA in eight previous appearances.

Todd Jones pitched the ninth for his first save in four chances. Closer Danny Graves had pitched in five of the Reds' last six games.

Cabrera also had a run-scoring double in the eighth among his three hits. Mike Lowell added three doubles for the Marlins, tying the club record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240525117
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Time is the Revelator.

Beckett sounds like a moron.

The last time a pitcher called Ken Griffey Junior out they got lit up (Kris Benson). Beckett just needs to move along. If he has a problem with it he needs to take it up with his manager. He's the one that walked a guy to get to a sure fire Hall-of-Famer with near 500 HRs.

I was at work and heard only the Reds batting in the first and sixth innings. Glad I heard the 6th inning. It was fun listening to Marty Brenneman........the Marlins intentionally walked Casey and you could hear the crown booing in the background. Then Junior came to the plate and Marty was chattering about something unimportant and his voice rose 3 octaves! Long drive.......home run! (he said it was a home run before it left the park.....a no doubter). That was so exciting, especially on the first pitch! Sent chills up my spine. This team is fun!!!!!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Of course Beckett didn't see it. He was too busy licking his wounds from the ass whipping he just endured.

Any one read his interview in Maxim this month? Makes perfectly clear that Beckett is has a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head.

I think Griffey was responding to a bit more than the IBB. Didn't McKeon have some not-so-kind words for JR after he was fired?

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    Beckett seems to be ticked about it.

Beckett you moron, if it was so bad, how come no one in the dugout was upset enough by it to even mention it to you or at least be talking about it during the game. Seems to me this is being made an issue when it was probably nothing big, although I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge it for myself.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by WVSteveVT
    Beckett you moron, if it was so bad, how come no one in the dugout was upset enough by it to even mention it to you or at least be talking about it during the game. Seems to me this is being made an issue when it was probably nothing big, although I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge it for myself.
    It was pretty bad azz. It was very clear what Griffey was saying, though it wasnt to Beckett, it was to McKeon.

i love the fact Griffey glared at Jack

I cant get over how dumb that move was..... jeez

This is almost as good as Griffey grabbing his jock after banging one off Sparky Anderson's Tigers way back.

Gammons did a little bit on the Griffey v McKeon fued which, according to Gammons, dates back to the last game of the 2000 season when KGJ and Larkin left early and flew back to Florida. Apparently, McKeon embarrased KGJ by taking it to the press.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    Gammons did a little bit on the Griffey v McKeon fued which, according to Gammons, dates back to the last game of the 2000 season when KGJ and Larkin left early and flew back to Florida. Apparently, McKeon embarrased KGJ by taking it to the press.
    Boys will be boys, but Assinine Jack better watch who he's dealing with. Same goes for Beckett. Do you think either of them would mess with Barry Bonds? No. I am so daggone, flippin, whatever glad that they let let Jack go some time ago. The ignoramus (I don't even know how to spell it) sleeps through most games and only with the talent he has at Florida is he even winning games. IF he made the decision to walk Casey to get to Junior, it has to be one of the bonehead moves of the year. Didn't he pay attention in the Houston series? Nope, he was probably looking a a few new cigars.

I hate what happened after Jack left, with you-know-who and all, but anyone, and I mean anyone can win with talent and a supportive front office.

Enough from me on Dipstick Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?