Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Re: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

[QUOTE=EKURed][QUOTE=RedFanAlways1966]Okay... I am a huge Junior fan (please keep that in mind before reading on!).

Here's my take on the "stare thing"... it is not necessary. The point was made as soon as the ball went over the RF fence. The stare is not necessary. The only thing that would have been better is if Junior had not stared IMO. It makes me think of the old phrase "act like you've been there before". If I am the Marlins... the 1st time Junior bats tonight, I throw the 1st pitch near his head. Then I throw the 2nd pitch even closer to his head. You want to stare (glare?) at our manager, then get in the box and look out.

He didn't suggest headhunting??? Read his post that I quoted....maybe I can't read...hmmmmm....sure seems like he insinuated some head hunting....
    I'm sure you read just fine. We're simply comprehending differently.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Originally posted by EKURed:

sure seems like he insinuated some head hunting....
    Are you really naive enough to believe that it doesn't go on? Even if RFA66 did insinuate it, it is nothing that hasn't been going on in major league dugouts for a long, long time. It's called "intimidation" from a pitcher's perspective, and it works. People may not like it, or think that it is right, but to believe it doesn't continue in this day and age on Major League diamonds and dugouts is to be extremely naive about the game of baseball. Nobody is going to admit "headhunting" but it is alive and well. Again, all you have to do is look at the picture of Junior the other night against the Astros to see it "up close and personal."

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Are you really naive enough to believe that it doesn't go on? Even if RFA66 did insinuate it, it is nothing that hasn't been going on in major league dugouts for a long, long time. It's called "intimidation" from a pitcher's perspective, and it works. People may not like it, or think that it is right, but to believe it doesn't continue in this day and age on Major League diamonds and dugouts is to be extremely naive about the game of baseball. Nobody is going to admit "headhunting" but it is alive and well. Again, all you have to do is look at the picture of Junior the other night against the Astros to see it "up close and personal."
    Nope...I'm not naive. I understand what goes on, but are you too naive to understand that you can hit a person in the back and get the same message across. Have you faced a 90 mile fastball in your life? People talk about head hunting so casually...it's all fun and games until you have looked at one yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    Nope...I'm not naive. I understand what goes on, but are you too naive to understand that you can hit a person in the back and get the same message across. Have you faced a 90 mile fastball in your life? People talk about head hunting so casually...it's all fun and games until you have looked at one yourself....
    Believe it or not, you are not the only person that has ever faced a 90 mph fastball. I have looked at more than a few, and there is nothing "casual" about it. I don't disagree that putting one between someone's shoulders is just as effective, but I have played enough baseball to know that there are players and managers out there that are mean and ornery enough to do anything it takes to get an advantage. They may not go out and speak publicly about it, but they sure have no qualms about using it to their advantage. You don't have to watch much baseball to see a lot of pitches up around the head. They are not all accidents. I will agree with you on one thing. "It's all fun and games until you have looked at one yourself."

Here's my take on the "stare thing"... it is not necessary. The point was made as soon as the ball went over the RF fence. The stare is not necessary. The only thing that would have been better is if Junior had not stared IMO. It makes me think of the old phrase "act like you've been there before".
    My thoughts exactly...(and it was on the first pitch too) And isn't Junior contradicting himself? Didn't he mention in the newspapers of not showing any emotion when hitting a HR because of Dad telling him not to do it again after hitting his First HR? What's really sad is that this has been the talk of sports radio here in the Queen City, when the story should be about the team! :mad:
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I've watched the tape a few times, and I think the "stare" is getting blown way out of proportion. It was more like a "steely glance" that sent a very subtle message. It's not like Junior jumped up and down, waved his arms and made a big issue out of it. I, personally, kind of like the subtle gamesmanship. I think Griffey is finally getting to play baseball in Cincinnati the way he expected, and I like the intensity that he is bringing to the ballpark these days.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Yea...ESPN's slow mo replay over and over make it seem like Griffey stopped midway, flexed his muscles, flipped the Marlins off and then moonwalked over homeplate.

He made a slight glare at McKeon... Nothing that hasnt been seen before and I definately think it was pimp.

When did everybody come out with this saying "just play the game". Baseball is one of the most emotional sports and for almost a century players have showed this type of emotion, what's wrong with it? Redfanalways acts like Ty Cobb was never born and today's athlete started this stuff, it's not true.
    And who cares about the talk show coverage in Cincinnati? It's miserable anyway with those idiot Kentucky fans. Sadly I have no idea how Lance stays sane with the iq of callers of his show and those two kentucky guys, it's sad how dumb the general sports population is.

as I said before, Im glad it happened..... no need for Jack to be walking Casey for Griffey

overmanaging.... something he has done alot this year so far.... anyway good luck tonight

I thought it was great. Everyone cries about Griffey not showing emotion "he never smiles, he always looks like he isnt interested, blah blah blah." He looks at someone with a look of "Try me again" and people want to start crying again that he shouldnt show that much emotion. How about we watch one of the greatest players ever start taking a team on his back like we all expected before and love it as the Reds are in first place with the best record in the NL.

Griffey will never win in this city, it's like these idiot talk show hosts look for a reason to fire up the anti-Griffey masses. Those two angry idiots need too go back and talk about stupid Kentucky basketball and leave the Reds alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    When did everybody come out with this saying "just play the game". Baseball is one of the most emotional sports and for almost a century players have showed this type of emotion, what's wrong with it?
    In an exhibition game between Detroit and the Giants in 1916, Ty Cobb took umbrage with an inside pitch and decided to slash his spikes into Giants' infielder Buck Herzog later in the game. After he was once again brushed back by a pitch (from Jeff Tesreau), Cobb challenged Herzog, Tesreau and the rest of the New York team to fight. The story goes that Herzog and Cobb fought on the field, under the stands after the game, and in Cobb's room at the hotel later that night. Eyewitness accounts differ on who won the fight, but with the reputations each of them had for fighting, it's safe to assume both Cobb and Herzog got in some good licks.

http://www.thebaseballpage.com/featu...ll_history.htm

God I love Ty Cobb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    God I love Ty Cobb.
    Yeah, those racists from Georgia are all warm and cuddly :mhcky21:
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I don't judge men's character in the past, I imagine about anyone raised in Georgia in 1900 would be somewhat racist, it's life. I also don't care much about players life's off the field, on the field the son of a ***** played the game HARD.

Turn Off Ads?