Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

oheeoh..magglio

Re: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Personally, I loved the stare and was laughing about it the moment I saw it.

Griffey didn't go overboard and stare at his homer or start yapping at Beckett like he could have, but he made sure to look at Jack rounding 3rd as if to say "I dare you to try that crap again."

I'm not sure why this would anger anybody, I mean what do you expect the guy to do after he almost hits the 1st pitch to Covington following an intentional walk?? Just run around the bases and act like he wasn't disrespected??

I was very happy to see some fire from Griffey, it's not something he shows all that often.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    I guarantee you one thing....if a ball sails towards Griffey's head, there will be 24 guys ready to work on the opposing pitcher...I promise you that. And, if you justify throwing at anyone's head, you have big time issues. You clarified yourself saying balls heading towards his body....well, you at first said his head. I can not defend anyone throwing at anyone's head...it's classless...and tasteless. And, for anyone to suggest that could not have played the game....
    I am not going to give you my baseball background. You obviously know (excuse me, DO NOT KNOW) me already. Issues? Only with you... now. But that's okay, I'll read your book on baseball someday when you are out of school, Professor Doubleday.

However, these things (head-hunting) tend to start when someone "stares". I do not agree with it and might have been a bit over-the-top w/ my first post. Just play the game. That is what I want. No stares, no arm flaps, no jumping (Sosa). Just play the game and act like you've hit many HRs in the past (like 491 before that). That is what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I am not going to give you my baseball background. You obviously know (excuse me, DO NOT KNOW) me already. Issues? Only with you... now. But that's okay, I'll read your book on baseball someday when you are out of school, Professor Doubleday.

However, these things (head-hunting) tend to start when someone "stares". I do not agree with it and might have been a bit over-the-top w/ my first post. Just play the game. That is what I want. No stares, no arm flaps, no jumping (Sosa). Just play the game and act like you've hit many HRs in the past (like 491 before that). That is what I want.
    Probably would have to morph back into the '60's for that, RFA66. I'm not a big fan of all the extra-curricular stuff either, but I can also remember guys like Frank Robinson and Bob Gibson glaring at anyone who crossed their path the wrong way. I personally had no problem with the little glare that Griffey shot into the Marlins dugout. It was brief and it sent the message. Right now, he is back. I can get used to it.

Did anyone see McKeon's pregame comment (from the Miami Herald):

And to think McKeon, at least before the game began, was having fun with Griffey's home run chase to 500. At least McKeon managed a laugh out of reporters when he joked about a sign positioned above the wall in right-center at Great American Ball Park, one that simply read ``491.''

''I didn't realize it was 491 feet to that thing there,'' said McKeon, knowing full well that the number represented Griffey's career home run count.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    Did anyone see McKeon's pregame comment (from the Miami Herald):

And to think McKeon, at least before the game began, was having fun with Griffey's home run chase to 500. At least McKeon managed a laugh out of reporters when he joked about a sign positioned above the wall in right-center at Great American Ball Park, one that simply read ``491.''

''I didn't realize it was 491 feet to that thing there,'' said McKeon, knowing full well that the number represented Griffey's career home run count.
    well now, it is apparently 492 feet out there.

I don't blame him, I'd have stared too. But anyway, I'm glad people are walking Cassey, its fine by me, it simply means Griffey will see more and better pitches to hit, now if Austin Kearns can keep hitting, this is going to be a deadly order up to the 6 hole.

The is another example of how everyone blows any Ken Griffey news way out of proportion.

Old Griffey-McKeon Feud
    McKeon walks Griffey
    Griffey makes him pay
    Griffey gives him a "message" stare

Big deal. Was it really appropriate? Probably not. But we are contending despite it being early and I sure as hell want to see fire from all our players. That we mean business and if you walk someone to get to an All-Century player, it will haunt you. I gurantee Jack will think twice about walking someone to get to Griffey in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

I don't want your baseball background. I don't care...but if you suggest headhunting you have no understanding or respect for the game.

You know what....if you get so torn up over a 1-2 second glance...maybe we should just have robots playing showing NO emotion in front of fans not allowed to make any noise...whatever....

it's a freaking game....get over it...it wasn't a big deal....there is bad blood....Griffey made his point...basically Griffey's glance meant "SCOREBOARD"

This is some good controversy. Reds have been dissed for a while now, I'm glad to see one of them stand up and say 'no more Mr. nice guy'
    Winning teams can be like that.

Perhaps it's a little killer instinct coming around.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I don't see where 1966 said he wanted to see headhunting .... just that he predicted it might happen ....... and it absolutely could. Two entirely different things. Jeez, guys, C'mon!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I do NOT think JR would stare at another ballplayer....as that seems to be taboo.
    Did anyone else watch him run the bases after that home run? As he was rounding second, he DID turn and glare at a Marlins player. I couldn't tell if it was Castillo or Gonzalez, but he definitely gave someone the stink-eye. I pointed it out to my friends as it happened, and they said they noticed it too. We said, "I guess that intentional walk p*ssed him off." Then he rounded third and glared into the dugout, and we all said, "Yeah, it sure did."

I also remarked that his "angry glare" looked a lot like Prince's in "Purple Rain" after Morris Day stole Appollonia.

And as for "headhunting," it's part of the game. '66 wasn't endorsing it, or saying it *should* happen. He was saying it *will* happen, because that's the mentality of ballplayers.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-26-2004 at 10:57 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

It would be real nice to think that pitchers never go "head hunting" in Major League baseball, but I certainly see enough high hard ones on a regular basis to know that just isn't the case. Case in point is the picture of Griffey getting out of the way of the high hard one against the Astros. Throwing the baseball up around the ears has been around for a long time, and although nobody is going to come right out and say it in this PC world, it is still a big part of the game for pitchers. To question RFA66's understanding of the game based on that assumption would make me question anyone's understanding of what really goes on between the lines. It's not a game for the faint of heart. To believe that no one is ever going to throw it up around your ears because it just isn't the right thing to do, is a good way to take one in the old coconut.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 05-26-2004 at 10:58 AM.

I like Jack. Liked him with the Reds. Sorry he left but it seemed to be time. Was happy for him when the Fish won the WS last year. A good guy.

I like Junior. Like all Reds fans, I've been dying for him to have some Mariners-era-type success as a Red. Looks like it might be happening this year. I'm happier for him (and us fans) than words can express.

Personally, I'm not big on glares or any other ways of showing up your opposition. Like RFA said, act like you've been there before. Any other player at any other time I'd say it's bush. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a little bad blood come out of this.

But in another way, I'm glad Jr. did it. He's playing with some fire in his belly now. I'm sure he was giving it his all before, but injuries were just too close to the surface for him to be able to let out the stops. Well, he's letting them out now. And Jr. never shows his emotions (a source of criticism). For him to do this speaks volumes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

[QUOTE=RedFanAlways1966]Okay... I am a huge Junior fan (please keep that in mind before reading on!).

Here's my take on the "stare thing"... it is not necessary. The point was made as soon as the ball went over the RF fence. The stare is not necessary. The only thing that would have been better is if Junior had not stared IMO. It makes me think of the old phrase "act like you've been there before". If I am the Marlins... the 1st time Junior bats tonight, I throw the 1st pitch near his head. Then I throw the 2nd pitch even closer to his head. You want to stare (glare?) at our manager, then get in the box and look out. [QUOTE]

He didn't suggest headhunting??? Read his post that I quoted....maybe I can't read...hmmmmm....sure seems like he insinuated some head hunting....
    Last edited by EKURed; 05-26-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I also remarked that his "angry glare" looked a lot like Prince's in "Purple Rain" after Morris Day stole Appollonia.
    So you're saying it was an homage?

Or…wait…both followed in their father's footsteps…both drive sports cars…the game was being played in rain… :idea:

Oh my god!
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?