Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Re: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

i can understand why he makes the move... i just think it was dumb

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101
    i can understand why he makes the move... i just think it was dumb
    Hey, Ramp. I know he was the manager when the Marlins won the Series last year, but how can you understand? I mean, Barry Bonds is in a slump, but would you walk to get to him? Mark McGwire? Why is Griffey the designated weak sister all of a sudden? His 11 homeruns is equal to Bonds. Why does everyone consider that McKeon is so smart? This same man took a team that was in contention in 1999, added Junior Griffey, and didn't have a prayer.

Sorry, but I really think without talent, this guy is clueless.

I will now censor myself (as my blood pressure rises)
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

why reds fans continue to say bad things about the last manager who led us to a winning season (and not just a winning month of may, as even bob boone was able to do) i will never understand. mckeon won when he was with the reds - boone hasn't, and i believe miley still has a losing record as reds manager.

oh, and then mckeon took over a marlins team in the middle of the season and led them to a world championship. i have a strange feeling he knows how to manage.

well WV, Griffey aint exactly tearing the cover off the ball in 04 is he now?

Sean Casey is having a sick year... I still hate the move but i kinda understand his logic

too bad Beckett decided to serve up a fatty...

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Jack will always hold a soft spot for me, '99 was one of the most fun years to be a Reds fan in my lifetime and he was a major part of that.

Gixxer

Call it a stare, glance, or look whatever word you think best fits JR’s actions tonight. Ever great athlete has a mean streak inside of them, some however show it more than others (lord knows Clemens, and Pedro have ran a fastball up and in on a number of occasions to establish dominance). Though I’d say JR was just showing a glimpse of having the swagger back from his early playing days.

Jr didn't have to give em a stare, but he did. Big deal. It's not like he flipped them off. If it was me, I'd been smilin big time at them.

I happen to join WV in not being a McKeon admirer. I know he is a more recent memory of success, but folks are turning his short stay here into urban legend. He is given way too much credit for '99 and not given enough credit for the lackluster performance of the '00 team that added Griffey but barely finished with a winning record. If you want to talk about great managers around here, the first name out of one's mouth ought to be Sparky, not McKeon.

Williams and McKeon both are practicing percentages baseball without using their blasted heads. You would have thought the Marlins' scouts might have hinted that Griffey's numbers are climbing fast these days. But oh well, their moves have certainly benefitted us I really was expecting Griff to get whizzed inside his next AB though. I will give McKeon credit for not doing that, but then he might be waiting for a time when its not so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101
    well WV, Griffey aint exactly tearing the cover off the ball in 04 is he now?

Junior
    2004-
    353 OBP
    535 SLG
    888 OPS

May 04
    391 OPB
    667 SLG
    1.058 OPS

Yes, he's knocking the cover off the ball

For a Level Playing Field

Okay... I am a huge Junior fan (please keep that in mind before reading on!).

Here's my take on the "stare thing"... it is not necessary. The point was made as soon as the ball went over the RF fence. The stare is not necessary. The only thing that would have been better is if Junior had not stared IMO. It makes me think of the old phrase "act like you've been there before". If I am the Marlins... the 1st time Junior bats tonight, I throw the 1st pitch near his head. Then I throw the 2nd pitch even closer to his head. You want to stare (glare?) at our manager, then get in the box and look out.

Mckeon went to the press on Junior? So what?!? Junior copped out early on his team. McKeon knew (thanks to brainiac Bowden) that his REDS days were done. McKeon also knew that he was not well received by Junior or Larkin (for whatever reason those two had). Leave early on your team? That takes more than nerve... it takes a huge ego. I do not care about renting a charter flight. Hey, there is always a chance for a rain delay. You took the chance (charter flight + rain delay) and you should have sucked it up and bit the bullet on the charter flight. Last game of the year or not... you get paid to be with the REDS team. What Junior did was wrong... w-r-o-n-g. If he hates Jack for that, then his psyche is even more fragile (screwed-up) than I ever thought. That whole thing was not Jack's fault... it was Junior's (& Larkin's). Then Jack goes public (buy telling the truth!!). So what? The REDS were giving him the shaft (as well as lark & Junior by their actions during most of Jack's last year w/ the REDS).

Junior needs to grow up (who Junior?) and get over things that happened 3 1/2 years ago. He caused that problem, not Jack. Junior is Junior. He has plenty of personality "issues". Junior had no reason to stare at Jack. Just run the bases, act like you've been there before and keep on hitting!!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I dont really think it has anything to do with the past honestly, RFA. I think it has everything to do with the disrespect Griffey is getting even though his numbers just this month alone are becoming rather frightening for opposing teams.

It defies logic people would want to get to him rather than face Casey. It would be like asking to play Tiger Woods in a round of golf instead of Mickelson.

It would first of all, defy logic even though both are great players, Mickelson isnt Tiger Woods. Second of all, Tiger would feel slighted and probably give the glare Griffey gave after whooping up on you.

It also seems, RFA, you have some sort of deep seeded anamosity towards Griff that has nothing to do with this story and you just want to vent about Griff.

RFA,

Regardless of whether "the glare" was right or wrong, or leaving before the game was over (did the Reds discipline them? I don't recall, but that would be more important than McKeon's take on things), you don't know if that had even anything to do with it. Maybe there were several incidents over the course of the year that they were together that has created the bad blood. Maybe Griffey just wanted to gloat that he made another manager look like a fool for walking Casey ahead of him, again. I'm not saying you were the one with this opinion, but many have been clamoring for Griffey to show some emotion in his play, like slamming some water coolers after a strikeout or throwing his helmet, or kicking the dog when he gets home, I dunno. Now that he does, do we now say "well, not that kind of emotion."?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Okay... I am a huge Junior fan (please keep that in mind before reading on!).

Here's my take on the "stare thing"... it is not necessary. The point was made as soon as the ball went over the RF fence. The stare is not necessary. The only thing that would have been better is if Junior had not stared IMO. It makes me think of the old phrase "act like you've been there before". If I am the Marlins... the 1st time Junior bats tonight, I throw the 1st pitch near his head. Then I throw the 2nd pitch even closer to his head. You want to stare (glare?) at our manager, then get in the box and look out.

Mckeon went to the press on Junior? So what?!? Junior copped out early on his team. McKeon knew (thanks to brainiac Bowden) that his REDS days were done. McKeon also knew that he was not well received by Junior or Larkin (for whatever reason those two had). Leave early on your team? That takes more than nerve... it takes a huge ego. I do not care about renting a charter flight. Hey, there is always a chance for a rain delay. You took the chance (charter flight + rain delay) and you should have sucked it up and bit the bullet on the charter flight. Last game of the year or not... you get paid to be with the REDS team. What Junior did was wrong... w-r-o-n-g. If he hates Jack for that, then his psyche is even more fragile (screwed-up) than I ever thought. That whole thing was not Jack's fault... it was Junior's (& Larkin's). Then Jack goes public (buy telling the truth!!). So what? The REDS were giving him the shaft (as well as lark & Junior by their actions during most of Jack's last year w/ the REDS).

Junior needs to grow up (who Junior?) and get over things that happened 3 1/2 years ago. He caused that problem, not Jack. Junior is Junior. He has plenty of personality "issues". Junior had no reason to stare at Jack. Just run the bases, act like you've been there before and keep on hitting!!
    I have many issues with what you said. First off, to even suggest someone throw at another person's head is a complete joke...an utter disgrace and you have no understanding of how the game should be played. Second, in the heat of competition, when someone challenges you like McKeon did, why not get excited about it. There is obviously history between the two of them and McKeon was definitely trying to show Junior up in that situation. Junior trumped him...and all he did was look...never said one word. And the third thing is that Griffey wasn't even on the active roster when he chartered the flight, he didn't even have to be there in the first place, but he was. And, he had permission from ownership to leave, so who cares. What I care about is that he is definitely here for his team right now....wow, is he ever!!!!

This isn't by any chance going to get blown completely out of proportion, is it? : :biglaugh:
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

If its Griffey...yep!

By the way, doesn't Griffey kill kittens and steal candy from children??

Turn Off Ads?