Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Re: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Here is the link to the video of his homerun and the "stare". Decide for yourself.

Edit: My link isn't working. Go to mlb.com and they have a link to it on their homepage.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-26-2004 at 01:11 PM. Reason: My link doesn't work
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    God I love Ty Cobb.
    Story I heard was they locked themselves in a hotel room with one guy as the Judge, Cobb kicked the crap out of him but also got some nice facial lacerations. The next 2 games Cobb wasn't around, Herzog was convinced that he had lost the fight but said "That Cocky SOB won't show because he'd have to admit that he got knocked on his butt by a smaller man."

BTW Herzog was the Reds Player manager in the mid teens.

Cobb also had a legendary fight with Boss Schmidt (catcher on his own team) in 1906 or so, got his butt kicked good.

Puffy, Cobbs father was in the Civil War, he certainl was a product of his culture.

BTW Cobb, Tris Speaker and Gabby Street all were KKK members (as I'm sure others were) during it's 2nd coming in the 20's.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Redfanalways acts like Ty Cobb was never born and today's athlete started this stuff, it's not true.
    I don't care what Ty Cobb or anyone else did. Nor did I state that modern players started the arrogance thing. I (in my opinion) wish that Griffey would just run around the bases and not look at the opposing manager. There is no reason to look at anyone. Jack is trying to win. So is Junior. If Griffey would have struck out, would it have been okay for Jack to stand at the top of the steps and stare at Griffey in a "see I knew what I was doing " look?

Better yet... next time an opposing player gives the REDS a look, then I look forward to the reaction of many here. We'll see how differently the shoe fits at that time.

Yea, Dusty Baker doesnt do anything like that or Sammy Sosa with his goofy jump after a well hit ball.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Yea, Dusty Baker doesnt do anything like that or Sammy Sosa with his goofy jump after a well hit ball.
    I know, smith. But staring at the manager is a bit different than that. Even talking about the opposition is different than that. When you do something on the field that is directed at the opponent, then it takes it to another level (usually in the minds of the opponent). I hope nothing comes of it.

And FWIW... Griffey does not have to win me (see how things get blown out of proportion... saying that one does not agree w/ Griffey's stare leads to the statement that Junior can never win over Cincy). I am a big Griffey fan. That does mean that I have to agree with everything that he does. The same reason that I would not praise someone who likes to assault people during and after a game. But it also does not mean that I am a Griffey hater if I do not agree with a particuliar action or statement. Is that so hard to understand!??!

No, whats hard to understand is saying you like Griffey then go on to bash him as some cry baby who doesnt know how to play with class.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Story I heard was they locked themselves in a hotel room with one guy as the Judge, Cobb kicked the crap out of him but also got some nice facial lacerations. The next 2 games Cobb wasn't around, Herzog was convinced that he had lost the fight but said "That Cocky SOB won't show because he'd have to admit that he got knocked on his butt by a smaller man."

BTW Herzog was the Reds Player manager in the mid teens.

Cobb also had a legendary fight with Boss Schmidt (catcher on his own team) in 1906 or so, got his butt kicked good.

Puffy, Cobbs father was in the Civil War, he certainl was a product of his culture.

BTW Cobb, Tris Speaker and Gabby Street all were KKK members (as I'm sure others were) during it's 2nd coming in the 20's.
    I know - thats why I had the :mhcky21: after it.

True story. When I worked for the Attorney General's office we had to investigate a complaint against a woman who wouldn't rent to a black woman. The complainee even had gone so far as to tape conversations she had with the owner of the building. The owner was was taped saying such things as "I would rent the place to you if it had a back door you could use" and "I'm sorry, but i just can't rent to a colored woman" among others.

The thing was that the owner was a 94 year old woman who by all accounts was as sweet as sweet can be. And how could you really be outraged by her as that was the culture she grew up in.

Ty Cobb is just an easy target for that joke, but he sure wasn't the only racist who ever played baseball.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Ok, so when I first saw it I was pretty pumped up. I was mad that McKeon had walked Griffey and got excited about the glare. After thinking about it, I'm not so sure that I like it. Just put your head down and run the bases. That is the way that the game is supposed to be played. Don't show up your opponent. I think that he made his point by hitting the homerun. The look was not really needed. (By the way, there is nothing that I get more excited about than when I get to watch Scott Rolen run the bases after a HR. That is how it is supposed to be done)

Also, there is a place for throwing at the other team in baseball. Yes, there are circumstances in which a guy should be plunked. Case in point: A guy hits a homerun against my college team. As he approached homeplate, he stopped short and removed his shin guard and helmet before proceeding across the plate. That guy deserved to be hit. He disrespected the game and my team. That is one of a few exceptions. On another note, there is no place for throwing at another player's head. EVER. Completely stupid and inhumane. Should never happen. Put it in the middle of his back and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    No, whats hard to understand is saying you like Griffey then go on to bash him as some cry baby who doesnt know how to play with class.
    I did not mean it that way, smith. I did not like what he did last night. I did not like what he did in the last game of 2000. I do not agree with staring at the opposing manager when you are running down the third base line. I do not like that a guy leaves early during game #162. I would never say Junior is a crybaby. I might say that he needs to shut his mouth and just play baseball. Junior is a sensitive person. No doubt about it. But I will not be over-sensitive for his sake. I tell it like I see it. It is not being a good sport to stare at someone b/c they decided to walk the man before you. No way, no how. That other person is doing what they think will win the game. They were wrong about it last night (thank goodness). I do not care what year you were born or what year you play.

That is not what I consider bashing. Not at all. If that is bashing, then I'd hate to see what you'd call my feelings about a few other players in MLB.

The stare could have been by any REDS player and I would say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101
    well WV, Griffey aint exactly tearing the cover off the ball in 04 is he now?

Sean Casey is having a sick year... I still hate the move but i kinda understand his logic

too bad Beckett decided to serve up a fatty...
    3 homers in 3 games that does not classify as tearing the cover off the ball?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Manny Ramirez did the same thing in the playoffs last year and Buck and McCarver (I think) went on and on about it. It's a natural emotional reaction when you feel you've been treated disrespectfully to give a "take that" signal.

As for what Jr. said the other day about his 500th homer, IIRC, his dad taught him not to show up the pitcher during a homerun, but I don't believe he gave him instructions for whether showing up overrated, sleepwalking, stinkin' cigar smokin' ex-managers was unacceptable :mhcky21:

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    3 homers in 3 games that does not classify as tearing the cover off the ball?
    so I should base everyone's season on 3 games now?....

When Ramirez did that I went nuts. Threw things at the TV. Yelled and screamed. To clarify though, he pointed to his own dugout, not that of the otehr team (not the griffey pointed).

He also walked halfway up the line. That is what got me.

I love SportsCenter's description, "Griffey went Medieval on the Marlins".

And Medieval he did, cranking the very first pitch he saw 20 rows deep with a towering shot. I think that ball must be lopsided now.

"You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a da** sight. I'ma get medieval on your @$$!"

Turn Off Ads?