Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Re: Griffey glares at Marlins after blasting his 492nd homer

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Agree that it's a mountain out of a mole hill.

But I love it. I absofreakinglutely love it.

The great players & the great teams always seem to have a little bit of moxie. Chutzpah, even.

Junior & the Reds showed some last night.
    Preach on brother 15fan. I agree 100%. I won't even call it a glare, I'll call it a glance, because that is what it was. This poor guy just can't win in this city. No matter what he does, the media blow hards portray it as bad or wrong. I just about puked this morning as I listened to Skinner on 1360(Gamble is on vacation). Griffey glanced in the dugout, big fricking deal. What's to say someone in the dugout wasn't yelling something at him and he looked over to see who? I know, not likely, but the point is that we don't know all the facts, and so what if it was just a message glance, McKeon gave Casey a message IBB, Griffey I think is entitled to a message glance, after he did what he did. Move on, get over it. I love what this team is doing right now, and only hope that we can continue. I like to see some confidence from the guys, all of them having fun out there. Some of the interviews that Grif has given lately seem to look like he is having fun again, I'm calling the 2004 season the "Return of the Kid".

I just hope the Marlins don't try and retaliate tonight, because as close as this team is, there will be 24+ people (including coaches) following the Kid on his trip to the mound, and it will get ugly.

This whole give Griffey hell thing is just tired. Let the man play ball and do what he does best and loves to do. Leave the guy alone and let him play.

Go Reds!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101
    so I should base everyone's season on 3 games now?....
    No, you should base it on the numbers Raisor provided which show someone having a solid year despite a slow start. Plus, one should consider how a player is currently hitting. After all, that is the excuse both managers are using for walking Casey. Griffey has been smoking the ball the last week and it shocks and amazes me that a major league manager doesn't have enough sense to remember that special players do special things at special times. Casey has been hitting as well as anyone in the league, I will grant anyone that, and it is choosing your poison to an extent, but all things considered, who is the most dangerous in that situation? I think some opposing managers better reevaluate their opinion on that.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    No, you should base it on the numbers Raisor provided which show someone having a solid year despite a slow start. Plus, one should consider how a player is currently hitting. After all, that is the excuse both managers are using for walking Casey. Griffey has been smoking the ball the last week and it shocks and amazes me that a major league manager doesn't have enough sense to remember that special players do special things at special times. Casey has been hitting as well as anyone in the league, I will grant anyone that, and it is choosing your poison to an extent, but all things considered, who is the most dangerous in that situation? I think some opposing managers better reevaluate their opinion on that.
    TR, I heard Jack Mac say that he did it to set up the double play, which in some small way makes sense. Freel was on Second, so walking Casey set up the DP. Plus, Casey is batting 460 something with RISP, yes Grif is batting 340 something with RISP but to play the odds, which Jack usually does, he did what he thought he had to do. I'm not saying I would have, but Jack ain't managing the defending champions for nothing. Yes Grif's been hot, but Sean's been even hotter. It was a better of two evils approach IMO.

"If I am the Marlins... the 1st time Junior bats tonight, I throw the 1st pitch near his head. Then I throw the 2nd pitch even closer to his head. You want to stare (glare?) at our manager, then get in the box and look out.

That's no prediction. That's saying what he would do. So here's a scenario for ya. Go ahead and throw at Jr. Then when the pitcher who did it comes to bat, don't just throw near his head. Drill him. And when(if he's able) he takes 1st base and leads off, drill him again. That's how baseball should be played huh? I mean, if you throw at our best players head, be prepared brother.

You guys are a joke. I know how the games played, but the only person who would throw at a guys head is a piece of ****.

How about the last seven days?
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Code:
    YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS 
    2004 42 159 25 40 12 0 11 37 24 37 1 0 .252 .353 .535 .888 
      STAT BREAKDOWN 
    LAST 7 DAYS 7 27 4 8 4 0 3 11 3 6 0 0 .296 .367 .778 1.144
    Last edited by TRF; 05-26-2004 at 02:27 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

It's simple.

If Griffey is prepared to glare into the opposing dugout after a homer, he should be prepared to duck at some point tonight.

It will be interesting to see if the Marlins act on the glare. I'll be the first to admit it would be childish but considering this kind of crap has been going on forever, it wouldn't shock me to see Griffey get plunked. Of course after Griffey gets hit, Kearns will hit the next pitch about 1800 feet and glare into the third base dugout on his way to home plate.
    :bong:

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I did not mean it that way, smith. I did not like what he did last night. I did not like what he did in the last game of 2000. I do not agree with staring at the opposing manager when you are running down the third base line. I do not like that a guy leaves early during game #162. I would never say Junior is a crybaby. I might say that he needs to shut his mouth and just play baseball. Junior is a sensitive person. No doubt about it. But I will not be over-sensitive for his sake. I tell it like I see it. It is not being a good sport to stare at someone b/c they decided to walk the man before you. No way, no how. That other person is doing what they think will win the game. They were wrong about it last night (thank goodness). I do not care what year you were born or what year you play.

That is not what I consider bashing. Not at all. If that is bashing, then I'd hate to see what you'd call my feelings about a few other players in MLB.

The stare could have been by any REDS player and I would say the same thing.
    When you are an all Century player and you get the guy ahead of you intentionally walked 3 times in 5 nights, you are being disrespected. Period, end of story. The glare is simply a subtle message that says "Guess what? Maybe I still deserve the respect." Nothing more, nothing less.

Neither walking Casey nor glaring in my opinion is any worse than the other. Both show up the other guy, but neither does so in such a way that it is a big deal.

So you're saying it was an homage?
    I'm saying I wouldn't have been surprised if he had started singing "dearly beloved...we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life..." as he rounded the bases.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Who cares really? Are these guys so frickin' thin skinned that something this trivial bothers them? If it is then they should all be wearing skirts. Is this any worse then Casey jumping up and down at home plate like a todder after scoring a run in the middle of an inning?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Who cares really? Are these guys so frickin' thin skinned that something this trivial bothers them? If it is then they should all be wearing skirts. Is this any worse then Casey jumping up and down at home plate like a todder after scoring a run in the middle of an inning?
    Of course it is because it's Jr. Everything Jr. does - good or bad - is magnified times 1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    TR, I heard Jack Mac say that he did it to set up the double play, which in some small way makes sense. Freel was on Second, so walking Casey set up the DP. Plus, Casey is batting 460 something with RISP, yes Grif is batting 340 something with RISP but to play the odds, which Jack usually does, he did what he thought he had to do. I'm not saying I would have, but Jack ain't managing the defending champions for nothing. Yes Grif's been hot, but Sean's been even hotter. It was a better of two evils approach IMO.
    I know that's what he says the percentage move is. That's why I don't like McKeon as a manager. Sometimes you have to think about more than what the chart says to do. He managed by rote in this instance and got burnt.

Well, that's one reason I don't like McKeon as a manager :mhcky21:

Well then you better dislike about 99% of managers because I bet my wallet almost every manager would have walked Casey there.

I'm with ya TR, I'm not saying I agree, but that's just Jack, and he's done something right to manage a team to a WS title.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    How about the last seven days?
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Code:
    YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS 
    2004 42 159 25 40 12 0 11 37 24 37 1 0 .252 .353 .535 .888 
      STAT BREAKDOWN 
    LAST 7 DAYS 7 27 4 8 4 0 3 11 3 6 0 0 .296 .367 .778 1.144
    Now compare that to Casey over the last 7 days. Because I believe that is what Jack was saying, that he'd rather pitch to Griffey with the chance of a double play thatn Casey with a RISP and no force out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Well then you better dislike about 99% of managers because I bet my wallet almost every manager would have walked Casey there.
    Is that so? So I guess the numbers that the crappy lefthander was spitting out about the last time that the batter ahead of Jr was intentionally walked dated back to the late 80s must mean that first base was never open to make that available in the thousands of ABs in between then and last Friday? Plus, an overwhelming number of idiots believing the same thing doesn't necessarily validate the position. Just look at the Democratic Party... :mhcky21:

Turn Off Ads?