Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Re: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Finished "The Crimson Petal and the White" by Michel Faber. It's about a 19 yr. old prostitute in Victorian England named Sugar. Long, the second person narrative takes a little getting used to, but good.

Also read "My Losing Season" by Pat Conroy. It's about Conroy's last year in college at the Citadel playing point guard. An excellent book and I highly recommend it. Nothing at all like his fiction.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nothing at all like his fiction.
    No long winded love passages about his mothers beauty eh?

I just finished The Numbers Game by Alan Schwartz about the history statistics in baseball, and yes I feel even more powerful.

I'm also reading the John Adams Biography, I'm 1/3rd done, it is very good as recommended.

Book 3 of the journey is a easy to read piece on the band Wilco, I just started that.

Book 4 sits by a chair that I occasionally sit in if there's no cat there, it's Ty Cobb the biography by Charles Alexander a history professor at OU and a great deadball era Biographer.

Time is the Revelator.

Has anyone read Chuck Palahniuk's "Survivor"? I was meaning to pick that up sometime.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    No long winded love passages about his mothers beauty eh?

I just finished The Numbers Game by Alan Schwartz about the history statistics in baseball, and yes I feel even more powerful.

I'm also reading the John Adams Biography, I'm 1/3rd done, it is very good as recommended.

Book 3 of the journey is a easy to read piece on the band Wilco, I just started that.

Book 4 sits by a chair that I occasionally sit in if there's no cat there, it's Ty Cobb the biography by Charles Alexander a history professor at OU and a great deadball era Biographer.
    Adams Bio is a good piece of work.

If you like it, and enjoy quality works about that era, I'd also recommend a book by Richard Brookheiser - Gentlemen Revolutionary: Gouverneur Morris, the Rake who wrote the Constitution.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/eoe/hus...t/gallery6.jpg

Excellent work about a important but little known figure in that period. Quite the character as well, a womanizer with a wooden leg. Vital in NY history as well.

Recieved it for Christmas last year, read it quickly. Only been out for a year or so.

I'm still polishing off "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...313697-6011813

Debating what I should move onto next.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Has anyone read Chuck Palahniuk's "Survivor"? I was meaning to pick that up sometime.
    Yeah, good book. I like Palahniuk, I'm not rabid about him like many of his fans, but he writes thought provoking page turners if nothing else.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm reading the 9/11 Commission Report. Everybody should read it and understand these muslim extremists we're dealing with. The new security measures we've enacted and the Patriot Act was a great step in the right direction.

I just started Marvin Miller's autobiography and "Distant Replay" by Jerry Kramer and Dick Schapp. I have the Adams bio at work but due to my busted ankle I haven't been to work for the last week and a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I just started

Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!
    by Jade Dellinger, David Giffels

According to Amazon:
    With flowerpots on their heads, distinctive post-Kraftwerk imagery, and staggeringly catchy electro-pop riffs, Devo carved an '80s niche setting them apart from the mish-mash of punk, new wave and rock surrounding them. Dellinger interviewed band members and asso-ciates, ransacked their archives to provide illustrations, memorabilia and rare photographs documenting Devo's entire career, and re-evaluated their complete works to provide the most -exhaustive survey of the Devo phenomenon.

According to me:
    Fun read that I'm about halfway through. I went to a Devo concert in Cleveland in '84 and was a fan a few years before that. The story of how they got their start is a fascinating read and surprisingly full of controversy. Chrissy Hynde, Iggy Pop, and David Bowie helped them along the way. Lots of Akron, Cleveland and Kent State anecdotes from the 60s and 70s, too. If you lived or went there in those days, you might really dig the pop-culture riffs on things like Ghoulardi and various eccentric Kent State profs. I didn't, but I'm enjoying it, nonetheless.
    /r/reds

I'm about 80 pages into "Lie Down in Darkness" by William Styron. It's slow going so far ... hopefully the pace will pick up. Has anyone else here read this book?

Time is the Revelator.

Bought "A Matter of Character", by Ronald Kessler. I'll begin reading once it arrives.

La Dolce Vita

Finally getting around to "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. At the same time I'm reading a book written in the 70's that I picked up at a flea market "Tracy & Hepburn: An Intimate Memoir" by Garson Kanin, a close friend of the couple.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I have the Adams bio at work but due to my busted ankle I haven't been to work for the last week and a day.
    For all the time you spend on this board no one here ever suspected you actually work. :

Rem

Bought "A Matter of Character", by Ronald Kessler. I'll begin reading once it arrives.
    Let me know how you like that one.

I own just about every other one of Kessler's books. Was looking at that one as well.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Let me know how you like that one.

I own just about every other one of Kessler's books. Was looking at that one as well.
    No doubt. Looking forward to reading it.

Whats' Kessler's best, in your opinion?

No doubt. Looking forward to reading it.

Whats' Kessler's best, in your opinion?

The Bureau was my favorite to date. Great little tidbits and stuff I'd never heard about from the Hoover era FBI all the way up to pre-9/11 stuff. If you're an American History buff that's a great pick up.

Inside Congress is filled with some tawdry yet amusing stuff actions as well. Read that and you'll never see Congress in the same light ever again.

Kessler's expose' type stuff is usually the most entertaining. That is why I was interested in his book on Bush. Someone else who had read his CIA book and saw me reading it turned me onto another one of my favs, James Bamford's "Body of Secrets", about the NSA.

Turn Off Ads?