Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Re: What book(s) are you reading right now?

I've read "My Antonia" a few times now; good read.

This talk about high school reading is bringing on serious flashbacks. I had such an awful teacher when we read "The Hobbit" that I'm afraid she turned me off Tolkien forever. The same teacher had us read "Beowulf" as well; it wasn't pretty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Piglet's 1-2-3s.

Sometimes I read it 5 or 6 times each night before bed time...

Warning: Alex Garland's new book is pretty tedious. Avoid @ fair-to-moderate costs.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Piglet's 1-2-3s.

Sometimes I read it 5 or 6 times each night before bed time...
    Oh man, I spent a few thousand hours reading to my kids. I can recite whole Dr. Suess books by memory.

Also "hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats", "hug their little dears and dust their pants", "'quiet old lady whispering hush", and "he'll want a glass of milk".

They've all gotten big now. A and a :thumbdn:. Go figure.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Queen of the South ~ Arturo Perez Reverte

Colossus: The Price of America's Empire ~ Niall Ferguson

The Art of War ~ Machiavelli

I fully credit my mom reading to me when I was a kid as the reason why I read so much today; I actually thank her for it all the time.

When I was in grade school and junior high, I used to *beg* my mom to take me to the bookstore or library so I could get some new books (I had to have the newest Sweet Valley High! ), and she would get so fed up with me. "You JUST got two new books last week; you can't possibly be done with them!" Now she has to deal with my 13-year-old brother, who always wants new video games or CDs or rollerblades or a pair of expensive sneakers. I ask her now "See, me wanting books all the time wasn't so bad, was it?" and she says "I'd give anything to hear your brother say he wants a new book." Thanks bro, for making me look like the best child ever!

But back to the topic: I just finished Richard Russo's "Empire Falls" this morning, and I really liked it, especially the characters. (I'm not sure why it won a Pulitzer though.)

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    But back to the topic: I just finished Richard Russo's "Empire Falls" this morning, and I really liked it, especially the characters. (I'm not sure why it won a Pulitzer though.)
    Good read. I would agree w/ you about the Pulitzer. HBO is making a film of it w/ Paul Newman, I think. He was also in Nobody's Fool, another of Russo's books.

Isn't The Art of War by Sun Tzu?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I'm reading a german translation of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. A little strange, I know, but some relatives are coming over from Germany in the Fall and I need to work on my German.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Isn't The Art of War by Sun Tzu?
    Yep, "The Prince" is the classic Machiavelli book.

Funny, but I thought about how the Sun Tzu book would make a good companion book when I saw Machiavelli but didn't notice the cross-match.

"Empire Falls" is pretty good. I think we discussed it in here before (searching searching), yep, here http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=empire+falls

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    "Empire Falls" is pretty good. I think we discussed it in here before (searching searching), yep, here http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=empire+falls
    Thanks Roy! I don't remember that thread at all.

But going through it, I saw you mentioned "Bel Canto" by Anne Patchett and "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. I read them both a while ago, and loved them both. "Bel Canto" was beautiful, in my opinion, and I've had a number of friends/co-workers borrow it.

Also, I've heard rumors that "Life of Pi" is going to be made into a movie. I say good luck with that tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    (stress on 3rd syllable, as I'm sure you know ).
    Actually, I didn't know this till we asked the Hispanic clerk at B+N where to find the book. Roy, in all of his white breadedness, asked for "My An-TOH-nia". Roy was thusly (and gently) corrected.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Actually, I didn't know this till we asked the Hispanic clerk at B+N where to find the book. Roy, in all of his white breadedness, asked for "My An-TOH-nia". Roy was thusly (and gently) corrected.
    In the Mariner Books edition I have (and I suppose all others) on the first line of the 1st chapter of Book 1 there is a footnote when the name is first mentioned. A Bohemian name, it's actually strong first syllable w/ long e sound for the i which is what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    This talk about high school reading is bringing on serious flashbacks. I had such an awful teacher when we read "The Hobbit" that I'm afraid she turned me off Tolkien forever. The same teacher had us read "Beowulf" as well; it wasn't pretty.
    You know, this frustrates me to no end.

My son loves to read and reads a lot. However, he has almost a phobic aversion to reading what someone TELLS him to read. Left up to his own devices, he reads a lot and reads where his mind takes him (e.g. he just finished "The Elegant Universe", all about string theory). But tell him what to read and he turns into a stubborn mule.

I sat down with "The Grapes of Wrath" in a beach chair sitting with my feet in the Gulf of Mexico. Sitting there slathered in SPF 30, moving my chair up and down with the tides, wading out in the water every so often to cool off, and watching pelicans for diversion, I was transported to the Dust Bowl of the '30's and was engrossed with the epic tale of the Joads. It took me a couple of afternoons to polish it off. I thought it was great. I praised the book to Zach to high heavens, said it was a great tale, read this book first.

Well, it's been like pulling teeth. He is about 3/4 done with the book and is whining and complaining the whole time. I've tried multiple times to engage him in conversations and you'd think I asked him to discuss the Treaty of Ghent. I know it's because he HAS to read the book and he's being a mule about it. He's got 3 more books to read, a paper to write, and August is filled with band camp, volleyball camp, working at McD's, and he is being a butthead about reading the damn book. I've washed my hands of the whole thing and have told him "YOYO baby". But my wife keeps getting on my case that HE isn't reading the book. Augh!!!!

There, I feel better. Just ignore me. You may resume your normal transmissions.

La Dolce Vita

So much to do during summer vacation! Yikes! I'll have to say I never enjoyed the classics that much when in school either . BTW, I have a Zachary also.

Turn Off Ads?