Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PETA's at it again

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

PETA's at it again

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=1956331

Sorry, but I have no respect for a group who compares the slaughter of animals to the Holocaust.

Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. -- An animal rights group wants Southern University to refrain from replacing the jaguar mascot that died Sunday from symptoms related to old age.

But Southern's chancellor said the university is likely to get a new cat and raise money for a habitat much larger than the previous mascot's 418-square-foot cage on the Baton Rouge campus.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, a Norfolk, Va., group critical of schools that keep big cats as mascots, says Southern should end its three-decade-old practice of keeping a pet jaguar. It says the animal is too confined, suffers from lack of interaction with other jaguars and would pose a danger to humans if it escapes.

Amy Rhodes, PETA's animals-in-entertainment supervisor, said her group will encourage Southern to stop the live-animal tradition in favor of relying on a human-costumed mascot, which is the practice of most universities and all National Football League teams.

"Fortunately, it really is a dying tradition," Rhodes said of using live animals as mascots.

The 200-pound animal, called Lacumba, was healthy throughout her life and well-cared for by the university, said her veterinarian, Gordon Pirie. A diagnostic lab at Louisiana State University's veterinary school analyzed the dead animal and found that she died of kidney failure at age 15, generally considered the beginning of old age for a jaguar, Pirie said.

Asked whether he thinks Southern should acquire a new jaguar, Pirie said, "I've been asked that question a thousand times, and I would rather not comment on it."

Chancellor Edward Jackson told The Advocate of Baton Rouge that fans loved the jaguar and that he would be discussing the topic of a future mascot with the university's board of supervisors and alumni. The school is raising money for a Lacumba memorial and probably will decide to build a bigger habitat at a cost of at least $500,000, he said.

Rhodes said PETA also opposes LSU keeping its Mike the Tiger mascot, who will be furnished with a larger $2.9 million habitat this summer. Tigers and jaguars "are not props to be used in a pathetic attempt to rile up fans," she said.

"While we are happy that plans have been made to give Mike a bigger enclosure, this does nothing to ensure us that Mike will have the life he deserves," Rhodes said. "We urge LSU to retire Mike to a legitimate sanctuary, where he can live out the remainder of his life free from the stress of public display and unnatural living conditions."

Mike's supporters say his new facility will benefit the animal, supplement LSU's veterinary program and provide an opportunity to educate the public about an endangered species.

PETA has been critical of other college mascots, including the University of Memphis' 500-pound Bengal tiger TOM II, the University of North Alabama's lions, Leo and Una, and Baylor University's bears.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PETA's at it again

If only the eco-terrorists cared about people as well.

Ah who am I kidding?

MURDERER!!!! *slings a bucket full of cow blood across the room*
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I miss the Bengal Tiger the used to be at Bengals' home games. PETA also has apparently convinced McDonalds to change its ways also, apparently going to kill chickens using an inert gas, i guess rather than chopping their heads off.

I always thought dead is dead
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-31-2004 at 07:31 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'd give them more credit if they showed as much compassion for the mascot at UC Santa Cruz! :

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I'd give them more credit if they showed as much compassion for the mascot at UC Santa Cruz! :

Rem
    You ever step on one of those when you aren't wearing shoes?

The horror....

Somehow I knew you'd empathize, WOY! :MandJ:

Rem

Those crazies mailed me a DVD. A true four star affair. They showed numerous shots of pigs getting their brains caved in with cinder blocks. Then had beautiful famous people tell me I'm wrong for eating meat. Comedy Gold~

Any body ask the jaguar family what they want?

Wouldn't the cat be better off in his or her native lands?

Sounds like a form of slavery to me, in this case it is a jaguar and not human.

They're over the top, but they've got a point here. There's really no point in having live mascots, in my opinion anyway.

It's a shame PETA doesn't do a better marketing job, because animal rights is a legitimate cause. There are a lot of inhumane things that go on that a watchdog group could help with, but I think they shoot themselves in the foot more often than not.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    It's a shame PETA doesn't do a better marketing job, because animal rights is a legitimate cause. There are a lot of inhumane things that go on that a watchdog group could help with, but I think they shoot themselves in the foot more often than not.
    Heres one humane way to kill a turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

They're over the top, but they've got a point here. There's really no point in having live mascots, in my opinion anyway.

It's entertainment and no one is hurt, including the animal in most cases. I can't remember seeing any scarred mascots on Oprah, anyways. In the Bengals case, they simply brought the thing in from the zoo for the game, which I know is another animal rights story altogether.

PETA is extreme, that is why they aren't taken seriously. They equate at best, or elevate animals at worst, over human life, which most recognize as a misguided heirarchy.

It's entertainment and no one is hurt, including the animal in most cases.
    Yeah a caged undomesticated animal on a sideline in a stadium full of 90 thousand screaming people is really entertaining.

As for no one being hurt, when you take the time to ask the animal let me know.

My dog hid and coward in the house last night as fireworks were going off celebrating New Years. I can't imagine her reaction if she was in front of 50,000 fans with all sorts of noise makers. It would probably kill her with fright.

But, if the animal is use to it and it's not stressful to it, I don't see a problem with it. I would assume the zoo experts know what's best.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yeah a caged undomesticated animal on a sideline in a stadium full of 90 thousand screaming people is really entertaining.

As for no one being hurt, when you take the time to ask the animal let me know.
    Some would say the same about the game between the humans as well. Different strokes...and much ado about nothing.

Plus, I'll have to do some reading, I guess

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I agree fully. There are truck loads of issues, especially in regard to circus and zoo treatment around the country and the world.

I think a good comparison is with the environmental lobby. The Sierra Club has done some great things over the years in the field of conservation, yet idiots like the ELF and other ecoterrorism groups taints the work they do.

Turn Off Ads?