Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Re: What book(s) are you reading right now?

You guys read some pretty heavy stuff... I read tons, but it's pretty much limited to pure entertainment. Just finished Last Car to Elysian Fields by James Lee Burke; next up, TheDaVinci Code by Dan Brown.

I went on a book-buying spree over the winter and have a ton waiting for me on the old bookshelf.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Time is the Revelator.

"I, Robot" by Asimov .. again.

Halberstam's "The Best and the Brightest" is excellent and would be timely.

A good Halberstam sports book is "The Breaks of the Game", a chronicle of the '79 NBA Portland Trailblazers (Walton, Lucas, Hollins, Johnny Davis et al). A great time capsule of the late '70's in the NBA.

A second (third) to McCullough's Adams.

woy, I've had "Great Plains" recommended to me. I'll have to put it on the stack.
    TB, you'll love the Da Vinci Code. Be ready to not sleep till you're done.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This is so strange, because I'm reading, "The Letters of John and Abigail Adams". The letters are their originals from 1763 through the late 80's or early 90's. I picked up the book a year ago after specifically walking into a used book store looking for it,...shocked when I found it on my first attempt.

Instead of reading about someone's biography, you're actually reading their personal thoughts on a day-to-day basis about everything that was on their minds. It's an unfiltered account of what was going on in Massachusettes and in Congress before, during, and after the revolution.

Abigail's writing is every bit as thoughtful and profound as John's. They sacrificed so much for the liberties we have today. The tyrannical Muslim society must be stopped at all costs. They won't be happy until they have World domination so they can tell us how to dress, how to act, how to dominate women, how to pray, how to think, who to like, and who to hate.

Being a season-ticket holder of the TrailBlazers for some time now, and being a regular attendee of the games since 1972, I'll be very interested in looking at that book about the '79 season. Didn't even know it was out there.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 05-28-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Being a season-ticket holder of the TrailBlazers for some time now, and being a regular attendee of the games since 1972, I'll be very interested in looking at that book about the '79 season. Didn't even know it was out there.
    Where do you live?

Westmoreland, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    next up, TheDaVinci Code by Dan Brown.
    I just started The DaVinci Code last night, actually!! My stepdad recommended it since he adored it so much.

I just finished another Dan Brown book, Deception Point. I couldn't put that one down!! I loved it!!
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

ED, I'll have to check out that John and Abigail Adams book. IIRC, their letters are quoted liberally through the McCullough book. And the enduring love that they have for each other just shines through brilliantly. A real love story.

Breaks of the Game is good. It's a couple years after the '77 championship and is a portrait of a team in disarray with all the Walton injury animosity. I'm not sure if its in print still or not.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

WestofYou, I live in Gresham, work in Milwaukie, and spend a majority of my time in Portland. I've been on these forums since the early 90's, but I'd lose my email from time to time. My old name was BlazerBenner. I love the REDS more than any other sports franchise. There isn't even a close second. I love the Bengals, too. I thought I'd pick Eric Davis, as he's my most admired sports personality of all-time, a dynamic human being.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 05-28-2004 at 12:49 PM.

WestOfYou. I notice you with the SABR connection. I think I know who you are. I was first touting Bill James in the early 80's, and read his early books from cover-to-cover. Also, helped run a card shop in Vancouver during 86-87, the last boom year for the business.

I've won my share of cash in Fantasy Sports games. I find it hard to do them, though, as I don't like to enter them unless I feel I have the time to win them.

So, I pretty much stick to football now.

Anyway, thanks Roy, I'll find that book. '79? I wasted my life in College (switched schools the next year so I could concentrate on studying instead of partying) that year. Paid very little attention to sports that year. Probably the only year in my life I've done that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I've read Tom Adelman's "The Long Ball." It's good, not great. He seems to have a pro Red Sox viewpoint in the book, with Yaz being portrayed as always heroic while Bench and Rose often appear to be jerks, although he is sympathic towards Sparky. ...
    RedsBaron, thanks for the heads up.

"Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond

It's a scientific approach to the history of civilization (but not at all technical - very easy to read), which seeks to answer questions like 'Why did Africa develops metal tools when they did, while native Austrialians were using stone tools thousands of years later?' or 'Why was the New World colonized by Europe and not Europe colonized by Africa?' The author attacks the questions from the standpoint of environmental factors.

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulred

It's a scientific approach to the history of civilization (but not at all technical - very easy to read), which seeks to answer questions like 'Why did Africa develops metal tools when they did, while native Austrialians were using stone tools thousands of years later?' or 'Why was the New World colonized by Europe and not Europe colonized by Africa?' The author attacks the questions from the standpoint of environmental factors.
    Great Book, don't forget to get your high quality grains.

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulred

That book's bada**.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

La Dolce Vita

I'm currently reading The Towers Of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay...rereading Seventeen by Booth Tarkington (which I read as a teen..it was written in 1915) and The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Great Book, don't forget to get your high quality grains.
    I'm not that far in...don't spoil the end!

I'm guessing the Europeans win? :biglaugh:
    Last edited by gratefulred; 05-28-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?