Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Re: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Read all you can this summer cause once first semester starts you will have NO time for any additional reading!!

Seriously, its not that bad - and some advice for ya. You'll hear alot of people try and sell you the virtues of case summaries. Worthless! The only thing they are good for is if you get called on in class - otherwise they really do nothing. Of course thats just my opinion, but I don't know of anyone who was doing them beyond second semester of my 1L year.
    Thanks for the tip! I will avoid those. So far it seems like everything operates under the adage, "A Law Student and his money are soon parted." My next big expense will be books. I already have my first assignments, but I wasn't able to purchase books today because the bookstore hasn't unpacked them yet.

So far this summer, I've been trying to get in as much non-law reading as possible. The only "law" book I've read this summer is "One L", which I gather is a kind of ritual that those who have gone through Law School like to pass on to those entering. I enjoyed it a lot, even if it did make me wonder what I was getting myself into a few times.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I found the case summaries and outlines on the law such as "Gilbert's" to be useful, but only after studying the actual case opinions. I would annotate the canned summaries (which are not always accurate) with my own research.
    After 25 years of practice, I often use an associate's legal research, but I usually supplement that research with my own. When reviewing a memorandum from an associate, if I find a cited case that seems to be particularly on point, or which surprises me by its holding, I read the case myself. The associate's research in a way is like my old "Gilbert's"-useful but not the only thing to rely upon.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

By the way, do not rely upon the "headnotes" you will find at the start of opinions published by the West Publishing Co., the publisher of most reported cases. The headnotes are useful and usually accurately state the law, but you need to read the opinions themselves for the actual holding by the court, as opposed to mere dicta. Some lazy lawyers will cite a case where a headnote or sentence supports their argument, but if you read the entire opinion you will find the actual court holding was much different (it's really fun to point that out to the court in your reply brief).

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I found the case summaries and outlines on the law such as "Gilbert's" to be useful, but only after studying the actual case opinions. I would annotate the canned summaries (which are not always accurate) with my own research.
    After 25 years of practice, I often use an associate's legal research, but I usually supplement that research with my own. When reviewing a memorandum from an associate, if I find a cited case that seems to be particularly on point, or which surprises me by its holding, I read the case myself. The associate's research in a way is like my old "Gilbert's"-useful but not the only thing to rely upon.
    Yes, those Gilbert's and outlines are really helpful - but they are not an end all. If you go to class just relying on those you will be made a fool by your professor, and studying from them will only give you a partial story.

Another bit of advice I can give you is to make smart friends! I say that because you're gonna want their outline for your tests, always share outlines with everyone, you guys are in it together, and someone else's outline might have something that you missed, or vice versa.

And Yachtzee, its really not as bad as people make it out to be. You will be overwhelmed for awhile, but every single person there is in the same boat you are, and just as overwhelmed (which is why you should share notes, outlines, etc).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Yes, those Gilbert's and outlines are really helpful - but they are not an end all. If you go to class just relying on those you will be made a fool by your professor, and studying from them will only give you a partial story.

Another bit of advice I can give you is to make smart friends! I say that because you're gonna want their outline for your tests, always share outlines with everyone, you guys are in it together, and someone else's outline might have something that you missed, or vice versa.

And Yachtzee, its really not as bad as people make it out to be. You will be overwhelmed for awhile, but every single person there is in the same boat you are, and just as overwhelmed (which is why you should share notes, outlines, etc).
    I agree-good advice.....and good luck Yachtzee!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I agree-good advice.....and good luck Yachtzee!
    Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread into a law school discussion.

Thanks RedsBaron and Puffy. I really appreciate the advice! I just called down to the bookstore and it sounds like most of the books for the Law School are available for purchase. I've already checked online and it looks like I'm going to be spending almost $100 for some of these books. I'm just hoping I can keep the price down to under $1000.

Here's a question...How often do you find yourself going to the case books vs. doing research online. I've heard that some offices have been divesting themselves of their law libraries because everyone uses online repositories. I've also been told that even though I have to sit in on a program on how to use the Law Library, most research is done using Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee

Thanks RedsBaron and Puffy. I really appreciate the advice! I just called down to the bookstore and it sounds like most of the books for the Law School are available for purchase. I've already checked online and it looks like I'm going to be spending almost $100 for some of these books. I'm just hoping I can keep the price down to under $1000.

Here's a question...How often do you find yourself going to the case books vs. doing research online. I've heard that some offices have been divesting themselves of their law libraries because everyone uses online repositories. I've also been told that even though I have to sit in on a program on how to use the Law Library, most research is done using Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw.
    OK - case books are useless beyond law school. Just the fact that the law is always changing means that the case book I used when I was a 1L in 1999 will be revised probably twice by the time you purchase it in 2004. I know some people who have kept all their books thinking they might come in helpful once you start to practice, but i always sold mine at the end of the year (and got $30 when i paid $230 for it, but it paid for some drinking).

We use lexis here and its great - but I think you need to know how to use the law library. There was some talk in Panama City (Bay County, Florida) about closing down the law library at the courthouse because it costs too much, but the attorneys here fought it, which just shows that while law libraries are becoming less prevalent, they are still needed.

My advice is to really pay attention when you have the Lexis/Nexis or Westlaw trianing that your school will make you attend, but also keep in the back of your mind the program on the law library, its just good to know.

Where are you going to school anyway?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee

Puffy is correct-the case books are generally worthless in a law practice, other than maybe looking nice on a bookshelf to reassure clients that you have read the law.
    You should learn how to use the law library, but most research is now done online.
    By the way, should you take any commercial law courses, I recommend White & Summers set on the Uniform Commercial Code. I still use their work and I've been practicing for 25 years.

So many of you like non-fictional material. I have to read so much at work, that I'd rather escape into something lighter at home.

Do any of you like satirical crime fiction? Sort of like a humorous drama. One of my favorite authors is Carl Hiaasen. I've read all his, except for Skinny Dip. I'd like to investigate other authors with the same knack.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Do any of you like satirical crime fiction? Sort of like a humorous drama. One of my favorite authors is Carl Hiaasen. I've read all his, except for Skinny Dip. I'd like to investigate other authors with the same knack.
    All I got is Elmore Leonard, but I imagine you've probably read him already.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    All I got is Elmore Leonard, but I imagine you've probably read him already.
    Actually, I think I've only read one of his. I was going to pick up a few more at half price books. Got any favorites?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Actually, I think I've only read one of his. I was going to pick up a few more at half price books. Got any favorites?
    In no particular order (and I haven't read a tenth of what the guy's written - he's a machine), I liked:

Touch
    Freaky Deaky (this one's a riot)
    Cuba Libre
    Pagan Babies
    Stick (prolly my favorite)

stay away from:

Bandits
    Tishomingo Blues

at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    Roy, I'm sure you would enjoy "My Antonia." It's a bit unusual in that Cather makes the narrator a life-long male friend of the title character, a beautiful immigrant woman who comes to the plains of Nebraska as a girl in the later part of the 19th century.
    Checked over the weekend and that is one of the other books that my son has to read for his summer assignment. So its "Grapes of Wrath", "My Antonia", "The Crucible", and "Death of a Salesman". I'm reading them with him since I haven't read them since HS (beside My Antonia which I haven't read).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Checked over the weekend and that is one of the other books that my son has to read for his summer assignment. So its "Grapes of Wrath", "My Antonia", "The Crucible", and "Death of a Salesman". I'm reading them with him since I haven't read them since HS (beside My Antonia which I haven't read).
    I recently read "East of Eden" for the first time and then put "The Grapes of Wrath" in my to read pile to reread, since I haven't read it since high school either. Let me know how you like "My Antonia" (stress on 3rd syllable, as I'm sure you know ).

La Dolce Vita

[QUOTE=TeamCasey
    One of my favorite authors is Carl Hiaasen. I've read all his, except for Skinny Dip. [/QUOTE]

I enjoy Hiaasen also. I read a review by Janet Maslin of Skinny Dip in yesterday's Lexington Herald-Leader. She says he's at his best....his humor elevated to compare w/ Preston Sturges, Woody Allen and S.J. Perlman.

Turn Off Ads?