Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Re: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    So much to do during summer vacation! Yikes! I'll have to say I never enjoyed the classics that much when in school either . BTW, I have a Zachary also.
    Yeah, I know. I was the same way in school. I just thought I could prevent my kids from making the same mistakes I did. It's like a time travel movie where I can go back in time to amend my past only to find out it was pre-destined to happen the way it did no matter what I do.

He is Zach normally and Zachary when he's in trouble. Lately, he's been Zachary a lot. :mad:
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Machiavelli also wrote his own treatise on - The Art of War, which is what I'm currently reading. Voltaire alluded to it as the greatest manifesto on the protocols of warfare in the history of western literature.

MEL OTT: The Little Giant of Baseball by Fred Stein

TULIPMANIA: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower & the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused. by Mike Dash

As for My Antonia, picked it up as an adult and enjoyed it. Read it in a weekend. There's a pretty powerful passage about a Russian wedding party (Chapt VIII). Remember that Rosie?

rotnoid

I'm in the middle of a book called "The Venona Secrets" discussing the level of Communist infiltration of the US government during the 40's and 50's. It's amazing how many high level members of Truman's admin were card carrying Commies.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Just finished Of Mice and Men - heading back to catch up on some of the classics I passed on in my younger years.

I am also reading Brown Bear 2-3 times a day (11 month old).

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 07-27-2004 at 11:32 PM.

Runner 1413

I am not reading right now. I don't get the point of reading during summer vacation as for me. I would like to read Lord of the Rings but I cannot get myself to read that much. But I will have to read The Hobbit.

I definitely read more in the summer than any other time. I can take the book out with me and get away from the two idiot boxes for awhile. (The TV and computer ...... not TeamMorris and TeamBoone :MandJ: )
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy
    Machiavelli also wrote his own treatise on - The Art of War, which is what I'm currently reading. Voltaire alluded to it as the greatest manifesto on the protocols of warfare in the history of western literature.
    I did not know that (he said in his best Johnny Carson voice). Thanks.

I read more in the summer. Lots of evenings on the patio with my feet propped up reading till dark (and straining my eyes to get those last few pages read in the twilight).

I also hit a spell Jan.-Feb. where I read a lot. The fall and spring are very busy in the Tucker household.

Back a few for Rosie... I really did enjoy Bel Canto and Life of Pi. I think I read them back to back early last summer.

Bel Canto in particular struck a note with me. I never had any music training when I was young but have taken up the piano the last couple years and have gotten great satisfaction from it.

Life of Pi would make an intriguing movie (for some reason the Tom Hanks flick Cast Away comes to mind). Thinking about it a bit, there really isn't much direct interaction between Pi and the tiger. He figures that mostly if he provides enough fish/etc. to it, it will leave him alone. I'll watch for it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    As for My Antonia, picked it up as an adult and enjoyed it. Read it in a weekend. There's a pretty powerful passage about a Russian wedding party (Chapt VIII). Remember that Rosie?
    With the wolves? Yep, that's a hard one to forget!

Roy, I think I read those two books back-to-back last summer as well! I know I bought them at the same time. For probably the next 3 or 4 months after reading them, anytime anyone asked me if I'd read any good books lately, I always mentioned those two. I even coerced one of my friends to read "Life of Pi," because I was dying to discuss the ending with someone who'd read the book. Luckily, my friend liked the book as much as I did!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I just picked up, and started last night reading "1912" by James Chance.

The conventions just kind of put me in the mood.

A few days ago I finished "Victim of the Aurora" by Thomas Keneally. Wasn't very impressed; it was kind of bland to me.

Now I'm reading "In Harm's Way" by Doug Stanton. It's about the USS Indianapolis, both the sinking and how the survivors survived. I'm about halfway through it, and so far it's excellent. Sad and amazing story.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Took the weekend and finally polished off H.W. Brands "Lone Star Nation".

Interesting take and background on the founding of Texas through the eyes of the half dozen men who were it's key leaders. Lots of great insight, always a fan of Brands style, littered with great small stories inside the larger picture. If your a history fan, especially the 1820-1850 US History buff, I'd recommend it.

Had a friend recommend "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by Warren St. John so I ordered it on BN.com this weekend. It's about a NYTimes Reporter who is from Alabama, who returns home for a year and follows the Crimson Tide football team all season in an RV, and writes about the expierence. Heard it's hillarious, so I'll report back when I get my copy. May take me a little longer than I'd like, thanks to my re-entrance in classes, but hopefully I can attack it with a vengence.

just finished 'the gospel according to biff, christs childhood friend' by christopher moore. enjoyed it.

I thought I'd throw these out there, since it's the only non-fiction I've read in awhile, other than work stuff.

I'm reading "The Hungry Ocean." It's about a female swordboat captain (Linda Greenlaw). You'll remember her, if you read Sebastian Junger's "Perfect Storm."

I also have "The Lobster Chronicles".

I put "All Fishermen are Liars". on my wish list for Christmas.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 08-30-2004 at 12:43 PM.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

TC, how do you like "The Hungry Ocean" so far? I haven't read it, but I probably will one of these days.

I finally read "The Long Ball," which I enjoyed. Now I'm in the middle of "High Fidelity."

Turn Off Ads?