Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Re: What book(s) are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    For all the time you spend on this board no one here ever suspected you actually work. :

Rem
    Yeah, no kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    No long winded love passages about his mothers beauty eh?

I just finished The Numbers Game by Alan Schwartz about the history statistics in baseball, and yes I feel even more powerful.

I'm also reading the John Adams Biography, I'm 1/3rd done, it is very good as recommended.

Book 3 of the journey is a easy to read piece on the band Wilco, I just started that.

Book 4 sits by a chair that I occasionally sit in if there's no cat there, it's Ty Cobb the biography by Charles Alexander a history professor at OU and a great deadball era Biographer.
    Thats good to hear about the Adams biography WOY - may I ask who the author is?

I am in the middle of a biography of Lincoln by Donald (or Davis, one of those two names) and its very good.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Thats good to hear about the Adams biography WOY - may I ask who the author is?
    Full of law references and all that rot!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...34536?v=glance

"bloodsucking fiends" by christopher moore. pretty funny so far.

Reading "Flyboys" by James Bradley. It's interesting, albeit makes some historical connections that are a little far-fetched. The Japanese brutality was absolutely staggering.

WOY, the Conroy book is pretty good. But he still does worship at the Oedipal altar of his mother. One thing I didn't know, supposedly his dad ("The Great Santini") completely turned his life around after reading Conroy's early books after being such an unbelievable SOB for much of his life.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" is the title of the next Harry Potter book.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    The Bureau was my favorite to date. Great little tidbits and stuff I'd never heard about from the Hoover era FBI all the way up to pre-9/11 stuff. If you're an American History buff that's a great pick up.

Inside Congress is filled with some tawdry yet amusing stuff actions as well. Read that and you'll never see Congress in the same light ever again.

Kessler's expose' type stuff is usually the most entertaining. That is why I was interested in his book on Bush. Someone else who had read his CIA book and saw me reading it turned me onto another one of my favs, James Bamford's "Body of Secrets", about the NSA.
    Very nice. I'm going to have to check these out once I'm done with 'Character'.

"Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Suzanna Clark. That book is always in my backpack these days. It's a long read, but a good one, and every spare minute I can find I take in another page or three.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Puffy the Adams bio is one of my favorites.

I would recommend it. Another I would recommend is Mr. Fired Professor himself, Joseph P. Ellis, who wrote "Founding Brothers". Excellent book, not so bright guy. They even turned the idea of the book into a History Channel mini series, which I also now own the DVD set.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Very nice. I'm going to have to check these out once I'm done with 'Character'.
    Glad I could help.

Decided to dust off The Rehnquist Choice by former Nixon Counsel John Dean tonight, good read so far, but it's early.

Roy,

I've heard some people challenge the events in Conroy's book. I haven't read it but I guess there is some basketball game melee that couldn't have possibly happened.

Here's my book of the week/weeks

Book that piqued my interest at the bookstore. About the intersection of two of my interests, science and constitutional law/supreme court history.

One of the basic premesies, is how the juxtaposition between the two have been intertwined for so long, yet the basic premise of each is at odds with one another. The whole of Constitutional law is based on the idea of stare decisis, the thought of following prior precedence. And a major prong of science, is the thought of proving prior thoughts wrong and coming up with your own conclusion.

Good read so far, lots of discussion about the founders, morality and social science.

Reading "The Rule of Four" now for book club.

Just finished "Software" by Rudy Rucker (on a recommendation from a co-worker). Good sci-fi, part Gibson, part Heinlein.

My son is reading "Beloved" for school and I'm trying to read it with him. Been slow going so far.

Have King's Dark Tower Book 7 on the stack. I'm eager yet reluctant to read it since that is *it* for the DT series and it seems like I've been reading about Roland forever and I'm sad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Roy,

I've heard some people challenge the events in Conroy's book. I haven't read it but I guess there is some basketball game melee that couldn't have possibly happened.
    Sorry Rojo, missed this...

Hadn't heard that. I don't remember a melee in the book (but then, I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday either). I know The Citadel wasn't too happy about it. Evidently, Conroy and the school have patched things up.

I'd still recommend the book. I think you find out more about yourself on a losing team than you do a winning one.

Well, I finished Clinton's book - finally. Now I am going to start a book called Blinded by the Right by David Brock. Brock was a former arch-conservative investigative reporter who broke the "Troopergate" thing and also was a part of the Whitewater stuff before he saw the light and came over to the good side (the left!)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?