Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to do this?

Reds and 26.2's

Is it ok to do this?

It's not really baseball related, but for the past year, I've really enjoyed reading what ya'll have to say here in Redszone. Reds fans have to be some of the most knowledgeable baseball fans anywhere, and it shows tremendously here. I don't post a lot, but I read nearly every thread and enjoy the banter.

Would it be ok to ask everyone to tell a little about themselves? Where you're from, what you do for a living, how many are old enough to remember the BRM, family? hobbies? stuff like that..

I know a lot of you live in the Cincy area and know each other personally, but some of us only know you from what you type on here. Hope this isn't too intrusive.

As for me, I live in the Charlotte NC suburb of Gastonia, but I lived the first 28 years of my life in West Virginia. I work for a plant that manufactures Freightliner truck parts. I was a teen through the glorious '70's and I get to Cincinnati every year to watch a series. This year. it's the Pirates at the end of June. My other passion is running. I was in Cincinnati 3 weeks ago to run the Flying Pig Marathon in the cold rain!

Let me know who you are! please!
    And Go REDS!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it ok to do this?

Of course it's okay. I made it a sticky.

I'll be back.

I don't mind answering you...In fact, I love to talk about myself.

Born and raised in Hamilton (home of Joe Nuxhall), Ohio. I'm 19 and I am a full time student at Miami University but to pay for that I work part time at Angilo's Pizza (a local pizza chain). I'm obviously not old enough to remember the machine but I love Reds history and know quite a bit about that era. I still live at home w/ my parents b/c it's cheaper than living on campus. I've never met anybody from Redszone personally (I'm fairly new to the site). Hobbies I guess I'd say are all sports (but baseball is especially my favorite). I guess my other hobby is music. I play guitar and piano. That's me in a nutshell.

I'm 30 years old, for a few more days anyway, so I don't remember the glory days, though I am old enough to remember Johnny Bench as my favorite baseball player ever by far. I still remember being on a family camping trip at Natural Bridge when one of my great-uncles told me that # 5 was going to retire at the end of the season, and then I was at Johnny Bench Night, where I got to see him his his last home run. That's still the greatest single moment I've witnessed at a ballpark, and I'll never forget wanting to go to the 580 gift shop, where they sold home run balls, because I thought they would actually sell that ball there, LOL.

I live in Bellevue Kentucky, a short drive from GAB & work in downtown Cincy. So far, Opening Day has been the only game I've attended this year, but I'm sure I'll get to at least a couple more.

I've not met anybody from this board, as I mostly lurk (only about 300-350 posts in a year and a half), but I really do enjoy the site.

The "UK" in my name is for the University of Kentucky (congrats to UK alumnus Steve Flesch for winning on the PGA tour today), which is where I went to school and I, of course, love their basketball & football teams (though I wish the best for all the sports.)

I also enjoy reading about the Civil War, which has always been a fascinating subject to me, and I enjoy working on genealogy as well.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Hey this is a cool idea.

I'll keep it going.

I'm 24 - I work as a design engineer for a defense contractor that makes commerical and military rockets and satellites.

I've followed the Reds my entire life. I have family in the Cincy area, and every summer I'd fly back and catch a few games in Riverfront.

My baseball highlights in life have been going to Riverfront each summer, as well as going to Dodger Stadium each year when the Reds came to town. I also have had the chance to watch Randy Johnson throw 20k's against the Reds, and the thrill of sitting in nosebleed watching the Dbacks win game 7 against the Yankees. Last summer I was privledged to travel to Cincy for a three game set against the Cubs, watching Paul Wilson go mano a mano w/ Kurt Farnsworth.

I went to the Univ. of Arizona, so Wildcat Football is the only other sport that can get my blood boiling. I'm currently going to school for a masters in Mech Engineering.

When I'm not studying, working, watching baseball or Coll. Football, I'm helping my gf run her small business as well as taking care of the small zoo she's accumulated over the last few years.

I grew up in Cincinnati - went to the 61 world series w the Yankees as a nine yr old. played drums all my life too and still do, now professionally. I live in NYC and work in various studios / do touring / or do teaching- drum clinics or master classes.
    my website is www.billyward.com
    I write articles for Modern Drumer magazine and I've just released an instructional drum DVD. The Reds aren't in it except for a few shots of me wearing a 1990 Champs shirt and another shot where i'm playing the drums with a Reds beach towel over the toms...oh ... there's a few times I'm wearing a Reds hat.
    Like many here, I read the posts almost each and everyday - but I post very little. You knuckleheads are far more clever and "on it" than I am! Someday, i hope to be able to meet more of you. Though you might not feel the same as I am what some of you might call a "dreaded liberal". :mhcky21:

I'll be thirty in less than a week, and I'm not happy about it.

I live in Columbus Ohio with my dog Casey, and my soon to be ex roomate.
    I'm an owner of a stupid little restaurant, and I work too much.

When I'm not working, I buy lots and lots of records, go to see bands, and try to make out with my girlfriend as much as possible.

For anyone living in the Columbus area, you can see my picture in next week's Columbus Alive. I wrote a short article about the best local records of all time. It was an excellent opportunity to plug my birthday show at the Ravari Room on May 29.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I wrote a short article about the best local records of all time.
    "I don't want to die a virgin"

Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires.

I'm 18, and am graduating high school in a few days! I am attending the University of Dayton in the fall. My free time consists of a multitude of things. I play both ice and inline hockey, have been able to skate it seems like my whole life. I've been in various short lived bands with friends that never seem to last although I love my guitar and its a great therapeutic way for me to relax. I am also a big OOTP nut, been in as many as 8 leagues at once and loved every minute despite it killing all free time of mine. When I am not doing that, I am probably working (disinterested movie store kid ) or hanging out with my girlfriend of about two years. I used to pitch and IMO was well above average but I decided to stick with the hockey. I love playing hockey so much yet baseball will always be my true passion. I am not old enough to remember the BRM, heck I wasnt even alive, but I sure remember the 1990 Reds, even got to see us dominate Oakland. If that doesnt make you a baseball fan for life I dont know what will.

And yes! It is defiently ok to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

I moved to Cincy in 1978 at the tender age of 8. The BRM was the toast of major league baseball, but #14 had just moved on to Philly. Arriving here, I was disappointed that we'd missed each other. No doubt he felt the same.

Coming from Toledo, I'd never seen a major league game in person until the day I walked into Riverfront. It was indescribable. Unless you'd been to Riverfront, of course, in which case you know exactly what it was like.

As an adult, you could see Riverfront's faults easily, but as a child, all you saw was the baseball. Green below, blue above, bright scoreboard beyond, and the occasional bugle call urging someone to charge. I was hooked.

These days I make my home in Montgomery, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. Paul O'Neill lives about a mile north of me. Sean Casey lives about a mile west. So I get to see them from time to time at restaurants and such. (For fun, they pretend not to know me.)

By day I work in advertising. By night I either pray for the homeless or drink wine and call talk radio shows, depending on my mood. And I've been pretty moody lately.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Born and raised in Cincinnnati. I was a kid when the BRM was around. I started collecting baseball cards as a kid in 1969 and that's when I began following the Reds. I remember being crushed when Lee May and Tommy Helms trade was announced. That trade became a very important lesson to me about baseball. Joe Morgan was my favorite player for a long time. I remember Dad waking us up to take us to the airport because the Reds were landing soon from the road trip portion of the World Series. My grandma loved the Reds. She would go to every double header she could, and she always stopped at the store before hand to buy the biggest bag of peanuts she could fit in her suitcase of a purse. She was, as I realized later, as infatuated with the Big Klu as creek is with Dunn. I can still hear her talk about how big his arms were. I learned about Klu from her, as he obviously out of baseball by my time. Marty and Joe being on the radio no matter what we are doing outside or in a vehicle is just a part of life. The Reds are my get-away from my everyday stressors. Oh and my baseball cards that I collected as a kid, I left most of them at home when I moved out, thinking they would be safe, Mom gave them to a neighbor kid. I still have a black and white 3 x 5 glossy photo of Pete Rose that is signed from then. The dozen or so cards that I took with me, my kids have.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I'm 38, from Trenton, I deliver pizza, and I'm old enough to remember the Reds playing in Crosley Field.

My name is Brian, I am 19 years old and am a student at Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio where I am trying to decide whether I want to be a history teacher and coach baseball or go into the sports marketing world, either way I want to be involved in the great game of baseball for life. I now live in Canton, Ohio and work at Mulligan's Irish Pub in Canton. I was raised in Mason, Ohio and just moved from there last summer. While living in Mason I went to countless games with my friends, buying top 6 and sneaking down into the better seats usually. My screename is pretty simple really, the summer ball team that I played for was the Mason Buzz and I was #3. Now that I am in college my baseball playing days are probaby behind me, but I'll be dominating on the softball fields in NE Ohio. I am not old enough to have witnessed the BRM first hand but have heard the stories from my father. I do remember the 1990 World Series though. Thats basically me, Reds fan for life.

I wear a red suit and fly a lot....seriously, I live in Falls City Nebraska (just about where Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska meet) but I was born in 1954 in Cincy and moved to Dayton as a youngster. I saw my first game in 1961 as a 7 year old and remember mostly my dad. About 1965 I really got hooked because I began playing myself, collecting cards and Derron "Iron Glove" Johnson was my favorite then. He was so bad he was a danger to himself in the field but I still loved him - mostly because he could mash the ball. I went to Stebbins HS, and for a year Dayton Chaminade. Ran away in 71 and joined the Marine Corps and wound up in Vietnam as soon as I was 18. Got home in time to see the Reds-Redsox in 75 getting tickets from a friend of friend who wanted to thank me for my service. Only thank you for Nam for about 20 years - somehow we were the disgraceful ones for serving as honorably as we could even if we didn't agree with much of it. Anyway, now I own and run 3 convenient stores and I'm about the only place between KC and Omaha that has Reds caps and Jerseys for sale in his store! You gotta go to a big city store like Champs to get em but I carry them (yeah, Royals, too, but that's a requisite out here). Still love the Reds - tried to get as interested in KC but it just doesn;t work. No team ever replaces the one of your youth, I think, no matter where you end up.

I'm 29 .... er .... um ..... 38. Raised in upstate NY. Grew up a Yankee fan. Became a Reds fan after a job transfer brought me to the Queen city about 10 years ago. TeamBoone brought me to my first game. I had to love the Reds or I couldn't be her friend anymore.

I work in cell and molecular biology research.

I enjoy camping and fishing and love to get back to NY to taunt the bass population. Best moment is waking up on a lake before dawn. Hot coffee in hand. Dangling your feet into the chilly water. Mist rising. The only sounds are jumping fish and an occasional heron or loon. I envy old Katherine Hepburn on Golden Pond.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?