Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody Think O'Brien Pulled The Trigger Too Early?

Anybody Think O'Brien Pulled The Trigger Too Early?

Talking about the Reitsma deal here. Sure we got two young arms but could use Reitsma right now in the bullpen. If anything, O'Brien might have gotten more in return at the trading deadline.

So, what do you think of O'Brien's first deal so far?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anybody Think O'Brien Pulled The Trigger Too Early?

i think we got two good young arms and am happy with the return that we got, but we really could use a quality reliever like reitsma right about now. Probably a good deal for the future, but hindsight is 20/20

The two players we got may eventually be decent pitchers, but Reitsma could have really helped us this year and beyond. I think it was a pretty bad move, but i dont put all the blame on O'Brien. As always, Linder and his tight wallet have really hurt this team. It is a good team, but could have been so much better.

Pair Jones vs. Reitsma, how much better would have Chris done than Todd, analyze if Bong/Nelson can have a positive contribution to THIS years Reds team and then punch=????????????????????

In all fairness to DanO, he did not think the Reds would be contending in '04 as did NONE of us. He did what he thought was best for the team's future. Yeah, I'd like to have Reitsma right now but how can you give DanO a hard time for the trade? If he made a deal like that RIGHT NOW then I think we'd have every reason to rip him.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    In all fairness to DanO, he did not think the Reds would be contending in '04 as did NONE of us. He did what he thought was best for the team's future. Yeah, I'd like to have Reitsma right now but how can you give DanO a hard time for the trade? If he made a deal like that RIGHT NOW then I think we'd have every reason to rip him.
    I had them wining the World Series, like I always do.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

I don't like O'Brien, but I liked and still like the deal. Rietsma has some talent, but he was grossly overrated by scouts due to the fact that he demonstrated a little more velocity coming out of the pen than he did starting. He still yields too many home runs to close, and doesn't have enough pitches to start. I love his changeup, and think it is probably the best this side of Trevor Hoffman. But, I don't think he will ever be any better than he already is.

I don't care what he has done in Louisville, I would bring up Bong right now. He is better than either Norton or Matthews, plus he can eat some innings. I might promote Nelson as well, and let him work out of the pen. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but since Vanpopple went into the rotation we do not even have a long reliever out there. Either of these guys have the potential to be at least as good as Rietsma in the long term, if not better, and I am on board with the 2 fer 1 concept. Replacing Rietsma in the pen should not be brain surgery for O'Brien in the short term, and it all depends on whether he has the balls to fight for it against the percieved reticense of the tight wad owner. THAT is the million dollar question.

If the Braves tank maybe we can get Reitsma back
    Go Gators!

Time is the Revelator.

Nope.

The day of the trade I thought it ok but wrote that it signals that the FO does not see their team competing in '04.

hopefully this year they can take advantage of some teams that want to shed payroll and pick up a reliever cheap.

In a word - no. You always make that trade - flipping a middle reliever for two quality arms who could bolster your rotation down the road. While I'd rather have Reitsma than Reith, I still make this trade. Middle relievers are up and down and usually an avalible commodity.

Reitsma was perhaps the Reds best pitcher when dealt, not a middle reliever. His changeup is as good as anyone's and his 2.57 era would look nice in setup right now and into the long season.

Good trade by DanO, can't blame him for that one.

I didn't like the deal when it was made and I don't like it now.

It isn't the players they received in return that I have a problem with. I believe the return was actually pretty darned good for a middle reliever. I just have issues with the timing of the deal. Coming into this year, some kind of stability was needed regardless of team expectations after blowing up the pen last season. Reitsma was the only rock.

If Reitsma was to be moved, it should have been a deadline deal.
    :bong:

No problem with the deal. Like a lot of deals this one will need 2 or 3 years to really judge. If you base every trade on immediate impact then you're going to have a lot of losing seasons.

Turn Off Ads?