Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RedsFest Cancelled for the next 2 years...

RedsFest Cancelled for the next 2 years...

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/spo...01/detail.html

Redsfest Canceled For 2004, 2005
    Convention Center Renovations Cited
    CINCINNATI -- The off-season fan convention hosted by the Cincinnati Reds each year will not be back following the 2004 and 2005 seasons, the team announced Tuesday.

The team canceled Redsfest for the next two years because it cannot find an indoor space big enough to host it, WLWT Eyewitness News 5 reported.

Redsfest was held the last eight years at the Sabin Convention Center in Cincinnati, but it won't be available the next two years because of renovations.

"Redsfest occupies more than 190,000 square feet of space," said Reds director of marketing Cal Levy. "Existing facilities in Northern Kentucky and Sharonville aren't that big, and the part of the downtown convention center that is available to us measures only 70,000 square feet over two floors."

The Reds have had discussions with convention center officials about a date for Redsfest 2006, according to a statement from the team.

Stay tuned to WLWT Eyewitness News 5 and ChannelCincinnati.com for complete coverage of the Reds.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsFest Cancelled for the next 2 years...

:thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    :thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:
    What she said.

(Nice way to commemorate your 1k post, btw )
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Uh, well, how about they, uh, MAKE IT A LITTLE SMALLER?

For a Level Playing Field

Thanks for the stadium! No more REDSFest needed... we got what we wanted (the GABP!).

Feel the screw turn... turn... turn... :mhcky21: :mhcky21:

Well, you wouldn't expect the Reds (Allen) to be able to think outside the box and come up with an alternative?
    It's easier just to sieze the opportunity to cancel it when you have a convienent
    scapegoat. It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..
    Bingo.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Lindner is such a ....

1990WorldChamps

Bad PR. Pretty much par for the course for these guys.

The space is available, if Lindner wants to find it:

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/ci...01/story5.html

"According to Pitstick, two distribution centers in West Chester and one in Fairfield have stood empty on the market for more than 18 months. All are more than 400,000 square feet."

I'm sure something could be worked out.

"The property is owned by Industrial Development International, an Atlanta-based industrial real estate developer with offices in Covington. Doug Armbruster represented IDI locally."

Do I need to get you their phone number, too, Carl? :mad:
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-01-2004 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Well, you wouldn't expect the Reds (Allen) to be able to think outside the box and come up with an alternative?
    It's easier just to sieze the opportunity to cancel it when you have a convienent
    scapegoat. It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..
    They can't use the US Bank arena? It's not like they have a hockey team playing there or anything. The front office that couldn't shoot straight strikes again. The Reds are playing very well and are in 1st place. Jr. is looking like the Jr. of old and now they drop this little stink bomb. :thumbdn:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I do not know why they could not move it to Columbus for the next 2 years. I know it is out of town, but they do have many Reds fans and plenty of room. It is just such a cop out without exploring all options to the fullest. This really frustrates my daughter and myself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Uh, well, how about they, uh, MAKE IT A LITTLE SMALLER?
    Brilliant!

By the way, Boss, given your renewed focus on profanity, this news couldn't have arrived at a worse time.

:GAC:
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Brilliant!

By the way, Boss, given your renewed focus on profanity, this news couldn't have arrived at a worse time.

:GAC:
    :MandJ:

Hopefully this somehow ends up like the "we tried to re-sign Barry Larkin but he wanted too much money" press conference from the end of last season, and something gets worked out. The USBanc (or whatever its name is today) Arena suggestion seems like a good one.

Honestly, I've not attended RedsFest in the past, so it's not a real big issue to me, but this does seem like some really bad PR at just about the worst possible time.

Turn Off Ads?