Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You think Reds players read Redzone?

Re: You think Reds players read Redzone?

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    I have no personal knowledge of this at all, but my guess would be that more player read message boards than you would think.

1. Lots of time. These guys have a ton of time to kill, and the internet is available almost everywhere you go. I bet some guys stop by regularly, probably mostly out of boredom.

2. Tempting. Whenever I've had some writing published, I'm DYING to read what people have to say about it. Sometimes, what they have to say isn't all that nice. But it's so tempting to look anyway. We basically function as critics for the players. I'm sure they take what we have to say as gospel, and they may very well think a lot of us are fools, but I think it's human nature to seek out critique's of your performance.

3. Funny. I bet some players surf the net with their teammates just to joke around. Find more reasons to poke fun at one another, etc....

Maybe some guys have had their feelings hurt or generally try to avoid places like this, but overall, I'd guess there is a high percentage of athletes who at least drop by from time to time.

I know that some of the players have looked here, but I doubt that it is still a regular occurance. They do have a lot of time to kill and sometimes the internet fills that void. I agree that I too would want to read anything written about me, but I think that after a few months in the spotlight where people keep critisizing you, that novelty would wear off in a hurry (See Griffey, Ken Jr.). If they do drop by, it is mostly for reason number three. I think it is a bit of a fun time to read peoples posts and KNOW what is going on behind the scenes. Sometimes people's posts and their 'theories' can be so far off base that they are funny to read when you actually know what's going on.

I also know that quite a few of the players' wives look around here too looking for what people are saying about their husbands.

I think that place this could be a good thing for players and their families to read, as long as people post with the realization that the people they mock at times are real people, with real families. Would you still say some of the things that are said here if you were standing in a room with the player and their family? I doubt it. But alas, the annonymity the internet provides gives alot of people free lisence to say whatever is on their mind - even if it is garbage.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I understand them not wanting us to know which screen name is a player. That way they don't have to deal with us pounding them for questions, or tickets, or stuff like that. They do need to be protected. Also if some folks knew that, the personal attacks may increase...

It would be nice to know they are here though. Maybe some folks would be more respectful if they thought Casey, Griffey, Jones, et al would be reading the board...

I missed the Real Reds where Todd Jones was given the "Terrible Test", but didn't he say Griffey was the computer nerd of the group?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

For any Reds players reading this:

Im sorry if I offended any of you. Please don't let any remarks at this forum effect you personally as most here don't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to knowing what is going on in your clubhouse. Including me.

If I have said anything that may be personal in nature, it was simply out of frustration because I truely wish each of you success in your career and life.

There. I feel better. Now...about those tix... J/K

"So Fla Red"

Good post.

I believe most of the college FB and BB recruits follow message boards these days. Probably less with older players, but I bet a lot of the under 25 MLB crowd is internet savvy.

When Cameron Colvin surprisingly picked Oregon over Michigan/USC he joked in the radio interview here about how all the Michigan message baords were suddenly saying he was overrated and that they were going to give him payback in a 2006 game in Ann Arbor. He made it sound like all the top HS recruits follows the boards. A few bad apples can make everyone look bad, and anyone can call themselves a "fan" while hiding behind a screenname.

Think about the fact these guys have lots of free time to kill and I bet it is safe to say these boards are known.

How you doin', Catch? How's Chris liking it in ATL? Don't be a stranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFan75
    I missed the Real Reds where Todd Jones was given the "Terrible Test", but didn't he say Griffey was the computer nerd of the group?
    That he did
    Never overlook the obvious

I thought when Jones called Junior a computer nerd it was over computer games?

Edit to add...I'm sure he gets online...if for nothing else than to talk to his kids when they are not with him. I just don't know if I would visit here if I were him...maybe now...because there is not much in the way of bad things people can say...but for the last few years it was BRUTAL.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    as long as people post with the realization that the people they mock at times are real people, with real families. Would you still say some of the things that are said here if you were standing in a room with the player and their family? I doubt it.
    As long as it's done with humor, no problem. Face it, the players rag each other in the clubhouse a heckuva lot worse than anonymous strangers roast them around here.

(On that note, tell Chris the Braves hit the skids as soon as he joined them, and the Reds are better off now that he's gone. Just make sure you wink)
    Never overlook the obvious

I don't know about players, but I would suspect more then we know. I do know a worker for the Reds came here and personally emailed me having one of the ticket stubs I needed for the 2002 season! He really helped me out, but I don't think he was a poster, but just a viewer.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I would think the players would find this place creepy at times.

I've seen several posts over the last few months wanting to know where they could meet or run into players, where they stay on the road, whether they were married, info on their personal lives.

Now you have a long thread on whether or not they actually poke in and what they would say/do if they did.

Add to that the constat fat jokes of former players and name calling, and I can certainly see why a player would never want to check this place out.

For people who live in the public eye, I imagine the candid discussion of some of the more private parts of their lives is far too public.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-03-2004 at 02:45 PM.

I do not know about pro athletes but one of my friends plays football in the ACC and I can say during his recruitment we looked at the message boards for humor. After one of his official visits (to a Big 10 school) there was a post saying he committed it was definitly news to both me and him. I talk to him and he says him and his boys look at message boards for humor because you see some ridiculous stuff that people with "inside information" say. Now pro athletes may not do such things, but I know in college it happens.

I'd always heard that they were too busy reading the Little Red Wagon to bother with us.

Tim Hummell is a ice cold boy scout killa.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'll believe players read this board when I hear Dunn say Hi to Creek in a post game interview
    Go Gators!

I don't know if any Reds visit here, but I did learn today that Jason LaRue gets his hair cut the same place I do.

Look for the highlights, and I don't mean on Sportscenter.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?