Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: President Reaganís health said to have deteriorated

Re: Reaganís health said to have deteriorated

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Oh give me a break.

Grow up, this isn't a political thread. A former President, and leader of the free world, just died. Please show a little respect. If you don't have anything nice to say, please do everyone a favor and shut the hell up.
    I would say 99.9% of us are thinking that. Thank you for saying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Statement from former President Bill Clinton
    By Associated Press
    Saturday, June 5, 2004

``Hillary and I will always remember President Ronald Reagan for the way he personified the indomitable optimism of the American people, and for keeping America at the forefront of the fight for freedom for people everywhere. It is fitting that a piece of the Berlin Wall adorns the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington.''

I agree with Michael. He should also be blamed for my grandfather's death from heart disease as well, which happened during Reagan's presidency. Heck, I had an aunt die of cancer in 1987 as well. Had to be President Reagan's fault.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I agree with Michael. He should also be blamed for my grandfather's death from heart disease as well, which happened during Reagan's presidency. Heck, I had an aunt die of cancer in 1987 as well. Had to be President Reagan's fault.
    Ronald Reagan did nothing to prevent the death of my paternal grandfather in 1946, but I've been able to forgive him for that.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Oh give me a break.

Grow up, this isn't a political thread. A former President, and leader of the free world, just died. Please show a little respect. If you don't have anything nice to say, please do everyone a favor and shut the hell up.
    This isn't a "tribute" thread either so my comments are acceptable. If you'd like to grovel at his memory, start one of those for yourself, I'll gladly stay out of it.

As it is, I am not required to show respect for a man who does not deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Make light of Reagan's moral failures all you want. He deliberately ignored the outbreak of one of the greatest plagues of the 20th century. You can insult all the people who died because of Reagan's inaction as much as you want. It doesn't change the facts.

Dying doesn't whitewash your past.

I wonder what is in the heart of anyone who cannot express condelences for the death of someone else. I'm quite sure I do not want to know. Very sad.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think Michael is expressing sympathy for many lives, just not Reagan's, and he has the right to do that, just as you all have your right to criticize him for it.

While I am no fan of Reagan - Iran Contra was too big of a deal to load him with all the accolades the GOP will undoubtedly pour on him this week- I would certainly offer much sympathy towards his family and loved ones, and to all those who liked the man.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-06-2004 at 02:41 AM.

No- I don't think he was expressing sympathy to anyone. I think he simply was looking for a reason to attack someone who had just died. Lots of class!!!
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    No- I don't think he was expressing sympathy to anyone. I think he simply was looking for a reason to attack someone who had just died. Lots of class!!!
    Don't assume 'cuz you know what that means...

Anyone who knows me has heard my thoughts on Reagan quite a bit and I've voiced them regularly. My mind hasn't changed simply because he's passed away.

I feel bad for his family, yes BUT I have no sympathy for the man himself. He sentenced thousands to die and tied the hands of American doctors/scientists by not giving them the funding they needed right from the start. I simply cannot forgive that gross injustice.

and you'll pardon me for this but somehow I doubt conservatives will be remotely sympathetic when President Clinton dies.

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    I wonder what is in the heart of anyone who cannot express condelences for the death of someone else. I'm quite sure I do not want to know. Very sad.
    Im sure if this had been Rosie O'Donnell or Bill Clinton, it would be the other way around(extreme liberals mourning, conservatives tapdancing in the streets)

The reason I say extreme is because the liberal newsmedia has paid a great deal of respect to Reagan ever since the news broke that he died. I seem to remember when Nixon died, even though the media crucified him for Watergate, they stopped to reflect on his memory. Its a shame some people cant stop to do that.

Michael, for what its worth, I think you need to go to the Reagan funeral with picket signs. Because that is the equivalent of what you are doing on this thread.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Presidents are human, just like the rest of us. And we could all find faults/weaknesses with just about everyone of them.

But when one passes away, then it is not a time to politicize the issue; but to reflect and yes, for some, to mourn.

Of all the Presidents that I have lived under, and IMO, Reagan was the best of the lot.

Kennedy was basically cut down in his prime before he had the chance to accomplish much. The Viet Nam war hampered Johnson. Nixon was a crook paranoid of everyone, and envious of power. Ford was "filler". Carter had no idea how to be President. Bush 1 got elected on the "coattails" of Reagan, and IMO was not a very good President. I felt Clinton was a good President. But like most, I felt his obsession with ego/self lead to his moral lapses. He made his decisions based on polling data. It was an issue of trust with me when it came to the Clintons.

Reagan IMO, helped to restore the American people's faith in this country and it's credibility after a decade (the 70's) inwhich everything had grown stagnate, and people's attitudes were filled with indifference and skepticism. And Reagan's popularity numbers with the American public have always shown that. He was the most popular President of the current living generation.

But anyone can look at any of the above administrations and find good and bad, negatives and positives. With me, it's how they did overall, and not on just one single issue.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Both Senator John Kerry and former Congresswoman Patricia Schroeder praised President Reagan's grace and love of America and Americans, displaying grace and class themselves. For a lack of grace and class.............
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Im sure if this had been Rosie O'Donnell or Bill Clinton, it would be the other way around(extreme liberals mourning, conservatives tapdancing in the streets)

The reason I say extreme is because the liberal newsmedia has paid a great deal of respect to Reagan ever since the news broke that he died. I seem to remember when Nixon died, even though the media crucified him for Watergate, they stopped to reflect on his memory. Its a shame some people cant stop to do that.

Michael, for what its worth, I think you need to go to the Reagan funeral with picket signs. Because that is the equivalent of what you are doing on this thread.
    Oh stop with the hyperbole.

Posting in a thread at a Cincinnati Reds site is quite a bit different from picketing a funeral. As best as I can recall, Nancy doesn't visit this forum. There are appropriate places to voice your opinions, funerals are not one of them. A forum thread is.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    Oh stop with the hyperbole.

Posting in a thread at a Cincinnati Reds site is quite a bit different from picketing a funeral. As best as I can recall, Nancy doesn't visit this forum. There are appropriate places to voice your opinions, funerals are not one of them. A forum thread is.
    So even though a person has died, its ok to trash their memory while hiding behind a keyboard?

Turn Off Ads?