Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Timmy Hummel "Thug Life" Fan Club

Re: The Timmy Hummel "Thug Life" Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    For the same reason Tommy Lasorda called a young, meek Orel Hershiser "Bulldog." For the same reason countess big guys are called "Tiny." For the same reason people call Zombie a "Good Mod."

Oops, I better strike that last one.
    Well said. Especially the last one.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    This entire Thug Life stuff started as a very racist comment regarding Lopez.
    What?! I don't remember it that way at all.

EDIT: Well, I reread the thread, and I can see your point.
    Last edited by Redsland; 06-17-2004 at 11:29 AM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1990
    And that means? No, seriously, I still don't understand why Hummel is being labeled a thug. In the past week or so others have wondered about this, but apparently this can't be let go. If I was enlightened as to why he is being called a thug, I'm sure I'd join in on the fun
    It's a very "endearing" joke. Someone posted a thread about how "Thug Life" should be sent back down a day or two after Lopez joined th ballclub. No mention was made of Felipe, but it was quite obvious by the timing and the context that FL was "thug Life " in that rather disparaging post.

However, some clever soul decided to capitalize on the vagueness of the post and assume humorously that the original poster was referring to Timmy Hummel, who I believe we can all agree is the antithesis of anyone who might be nicknamed "Thug Life". The overabundance of humor in the reference has spawned a continuance of references to this intentional misnomer for Mr. Hummel, thus generating a fan club and, apparently, some subsequent confusion. It is no disrespect to Mr Hummel at all.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

And it's funny, not tasteless. I'd love to see a few Timmy "thug life" posters in the crowds. :MandJ:
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

reds1990

What I gathered from that thread, Chip, is that others were defensive of Hummel of being called a Thug. In the end, there really was no explanation why Hummel is being labeled as such, when you look at how many tatoos Graves has.

I'm a lover of nicknames and irony, so when he smacked that homerun last night, I was thinking about this nickname and had a little private chuckle. I also thought about it when Welsh was talking about him "slapping" the tag on Soriano and how that can wear one out. Thug Life must have done his thang, cuz he got a huge jump shortly thereafter, and only we Zoners know the real reason why

Wow, I forgot about the FeLo thing all together.

With me, it's just a harmless running joke and nobody should make anything else out of it. I sure dont mean it in a "tasteless" manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

you can just bet thug life's ride is pimped out. but for a man with a posse that larger, you know his ride has to be large too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1990
    What I gathered from that thread, Chip, is that others were defensive of Hummel of being called a Thug. In the end, there really was no explanation why Hummel is being labeled as such, when you look at how many tatoos Graves has.
    Dude, listen to your wife. It's a fun nickname. Nothing more.

Hey why make fun of him with "imaginary traits"?

We could call him, Skinny, Pasty, Mr. Washed Out, Tim E6 Hummel, or any other numerous derogatory nicknames.

Like Ears or Whiffey.

It's all in fun, it's not like he's taking the field and being called Schnozz by the radio guys and the newspaper.
    Last edited by westofyou; 06-17-2004 at 11:46 AM.

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Dude, listen to your wife. It's a fun nickname. Nothing more.
    I find it racist, but hey, what can I say?

Time is the Revelator.

How is Thug Life racist? Anyone can be a thug. Hummel is our little hoodlum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    And it's funny, not tasteless. I'd love to see a few Timmy "thug life" posters in the crowds. :MandJ:
    I'm taking one July 18th!

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Hummel is our little hoodlum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It's pretty clear that the "thug" concept, now that the entertainment industry has packaged and sold it to us through different and sundry channels, is no longer something that is restricted to those of a particular economic class or ethnic background.

It's America. It's what we do.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I find it funny.

This thread started very tongue in cheek, and with the exception of a few posts, has remained that way. Especially considering that it started as a way to defuse the racist overtones of what another redszone poster was calling Felipe Lopez. I see it as a term of endearment towards Hummel.

Think about this - if the joke hadn't started, we wouldn't be saying a word about Hummel. Are we talking about Valentin? Or Jermaine Clark with a 50+ post thread?

No, we're talking about a backup utility player.

I think its harmless, and all in good fun.

I find it also a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black to criticize in one thread a few people joking about a player while in another make sexual overtones. I don't have a problem with a few people making jokes about Dunn, I find it funny.

Just ironic now, that's all.

But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-17-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?