Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you caught #500...

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: If you caught #500...

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    my guess is with the increased number of 500 club members, and Griffey's somewhat diminished star status, owning a 500 ball might not even fetch you $7,000.

either way, I'd give it to Junior.
    Listening to some of the national Griffey hype all of a sudden, and th efact the Junior is 2nd among outfielders in the AS voting, his ball will garner plenty of cash. Interest in him is returning.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Listening to some of the national Griffey hype all of a sudden, and th efact the Junior is 2nd among outfielders in the AS voting, his ball will garner plenty of cash. Interest in him is returning.
    Like to hear that - hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    my guess is with the increased number of 500 club members, and Griffey's somewhat diminished star status, owning a 500 ball might not even fetch you $7,000.

either way, I'd give it to Junior.
    Increased number? Well, yes, of course every time a player reaches that milestone it's an "increased number" but Jr will only be #20. #20!!!! Out of all the guys who have played the game for all time (or for at least as long as they've been keeping track of HRs). Plus, one of the youngest.

MAJOR MILESTONE my friend.

PS - I would return the ball to Griffey if he could make sure I get a date with Adam Dunn... :mhcky21:
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-16-2004 at 11:51 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I'd toss it to the Rangers outfielder and have him throw it back to Griffey.

Give it back!

But only if I got to meet him & Dunn (and only if Creek and TB could come too!).

:mhcky21:

Awwwww, TD. That's so thoughtful! (and I was selfish because I never thought about bringing anyone along on "my" date)
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

think that I could trade it for the chance to be Reds' GM for a week?

oh the trouble that I could get us in...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Awwwww, TD. That's so thoughtful! (and I was selfish because I never thought about bringing anyone along on "my" date)
    :MandJ: :MandJ:

:GAC:

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I'd give it to him expecting nothing in return. It's his milestone, not mine.
    Exactly what I was thinking. That ball means nothing to me.

I was in right field last night, but the closest we came to balls were the couple that Clark threw up there.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Increased number? Well, yes, of course every time a player reaches that milestone it's an "increased number" but Jr will only be #20. #20!!!! Out of all the guys who have played the game for all time (or for at least as long as they've been keeping track of HRs). Plus, one of the youngest.

MAJOR MILESTONE my friend.

PS - I would return the ball to Griffey if he could make sure I get a date with Adam Dunn... :mhcky21:
    I'm not questioning the magnitude of hitting 500 HRs in your career. Calling it a major milestone goes without saying. My point was that we've seen several players hit the 500 plateau in recent seasons and I just wonder if the lessened exclusivity of this club diminishes its worth in the mind of the collector? Would someone still be willing to pay 50K for it?

I just did a quick calculation. $50,000 to Griffey is about what $300 is to me. Not totally incidental but close. Certainly if something really had a sentimental value to him, he (or Bonds, etc.) could easily pay for the ball.

Given a choice between significantly improving the financial status of my family or letting an athlete that has scores of trophies and scores of millions in the bank have one more memento......

Sorry, financial well-being of my family comes first.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I agree with Roy.. if it were any other player, I'd sell it without even thinking twice.

But Jr is an exceptional person and a genuine good guy.

it would be a real dilemma, IMO.

Deep down though, I'd probably sell it. It's not like there are many opportunities for
    a quick 50-70k come in life. That's a lot of money for us. Even after taxes, that's
    a life changing lump sum of money. It's definitely more valuable than hanging out with Jr for 2-3 minutes and
    getting your picture taken.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much sentimental attachment the players have for
    balls like that. I know that Tom Browning said in an interview that one of his kids grabbed his
    perfect game ball and played with it and lost it.

Jr will probably hit #600 down the road anyway if he plays 3-4 more years (Maybe sooner).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'd give it back to Griffey without a doubt.

Retired

I'd trade it to Jr. for an autographed bat and some season tickets. :

I like Ken Griffey Jr. and don't begrudge him his salary at all, but a guy making $12,000,000 a year doesn't need charity from someone making 1/200th that amount. I think his paycheck for that one game (or half of it or whatever) would be a fair trade for the ball.

I know some are saying that it's just a ball and it has more sentimental value to Ken that to you. That may be true, but if you were staring at an open suitcase with that much cash in it, would you just smile and hand it over to a man who makes more each game than you do in a year? Because if you give him the ball, that's what you're doing. I suspect that might be easier said than done. Remember, you're not returning something that belongs to him. You're giving him a gift of something that belongs to you. There is a difference.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?