Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you caught #500...

If you caught #500...

Would you keep it, give it to Griffey, or would you sell it on ebay for the 70-$80,000 that it is estimated at being worth?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If you caught #500...

Give it to Griffey. I mean, come on... really. Handing the Kid his 500HR ball would have to be one of the biggest highs imaginable for any Reds fan.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Oh... and welcome to the board!
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Give it to Griffey. More meaningful to him. Besides, I'm sure he'd replace it with a signed bat or ball something. I mean how awesome would you feel handing him that ball. It's would be a memory to cherish the rest of your life.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Thanks!, I think I would have to give it back as well. Just the oppurtunity to catch it and then make him happy by giving it back would be much better than any money I could get for selling it.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I would keep it and make Griffey jump through a thousand hoops to get it back.

jk.

I'd probably give it back as long as I got a picture with him and maybe a few signed balls and bat. Got a wife and 2 kids to feed ya know.

Do ya think the Reds would give me season tickets for life in exchange for the ball?

I would actually give it to Griffey. I think about all the family mementos and things that are important to me that I would not give away no matter the circumstances. I'm sure that ball would mean just as much to Griff. The season tix for life would be kinda nice though
    Last edited by Mr Red; 06-16-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Red
    Do ya think the Reds would give me season tickets for life in exchange for the ball?

I would actually give it to Griffey. I think about all the family mementos and things that are important to me that I would not give away no matter the circumstances. I'm sure that ball would mean just as much to Griff. The season tix for life would be kinda nice though
    No way would you get life season tix. You might get a certain number of tix but lifetime season? Lindler laughs at you

I'm not going to lie, if I could fetch $70,000 for catching a baseball I would have to take it unless Griffey offered at least $50,000. With the near sellouts and all, Linder should buy it for him. That kind of money would pay lots of bills for the average fan.

I was thinking about that this morning. I'd give Junior the 500th HR ball in return for four autographed balls (one for me and each of my three sons), a bat and a photograph with Junior, me and my three sons.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Probably any other MLB player, I'd sell the ball.

With Jr. being a Red and being a good guy, I'd say what RedsBaron would ask for would do me well too.

It was 3 yrs. ago at Cinergy I saw Jr. do a nice thing. Jr. was on-deck and had caught a richocet foul ball and tried to lob it to a little girl in the 2nd-3rd row. Some fat slob barrelled over the little kid and caught the ball and whooped it up like he had single-handedly won the World Series. A true moron.

The next at-bat, Jr. is standing next to the wall by the on-deck circle and makes eye-contact with the little girl (which he never does) and does the finger-waggle "come here" motion. The girl said "me?" and he smiled and nodded. He hands her a signed ball. Probably only about 10-20 people saw it because he did it so unobtrusively. She was floating on cloud nine after that. He earned a permanent page in my "good guy" book after that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'd give it to him expecting nothing in return. It's his milestone, not mine.

Did you guys hear about the imbecile at one of St. Louis' recent games?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I would sell it without a doubt. I suppose it would be a fulfilling experience to give it back, but the money made would go nicely towards my kids education.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    I'm not going to lie, if I could fetch $70,000 for catching a baseball I would have to take it unless Griffey offered at least $50,000. With the near sellouts and all, Linder should buy it for him. That kind of money would pay lots of bills for the average fan.
    my guess is with the increased number of 500 club members, and Griffey's somewhat diminished star status, owning a 500 ball might not even fetch you $7,000.

either way, I'd give it to Junior.

Turn Off Ads?