Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you caught #500...

Re: If you caught #500...

Let me ask those who would keep it. (and I'm not judging in anyway. I'm glad people are being honest.)

Would you really sell it, or would you hang on to it? If I kept it, I couldn't bear giving it to someone else. I think I'd want to pass it on to my children or something.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Reds All Star

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Did you guys hear about the imbecile at one of St. Louis' recent games?
    No, what happened??

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Also remember that "gifts" should not have to be paid for by the recipient.
    That's right. The two are mutually exclusive. If I sold it to him, it would not be a gift. If someone gave it to him, it would be. I wasn't trying to imply that an item that is sold is a "gift".

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I'm guessing it would be worth a bunch more than 80K considering it would have to travel 300 miles or so in order for me to catch it.

Tough choice. I think I would return it for the chance for my son, who is a big baseball fan, and I to meet Junior. If at the same time I could meet Senior - one of my all time favorites - so much the better.

My wife would kill me though.

I would give the ball back to Junior just for the chance to shake his hand and talk to him for a second. I wouldn't want any money for that, as it's just a baseball.

If I were in a different financial state in my life, I'd give it back with the chance to meet him and get a couple of momentos.

But I'm about to embark on graduate school for two years. I have three kids and I will be taking on a fair amount of debt. Even if it were only worth $10,000, I'd sell it. If you're standing there with something that you have legal title that is worth thousands of dollars, then it's no different than walking up to someone and handing them the money all out of some "moral" obligation.

If the cash wouldn't make a HUGE difference in my life right now, I give it to him. But it's unreasonable that someone in my situation should be expected to hand over thousands of dollars to someone who is worth over $100MM. And I adore Ken Griffey Junior. Removing emotion from important decisions is a good thing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'll trade the ball for his yacht.
    This completely useless post was brought to you by Nick5.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    If I were in a different financial state in my life, I'd give it back with the chance to meet him and get a couple of momentos.

But I'm about to embark on graduate school for two years.
    Me too, and I couldn't imagine throwing away the opportunity to pay off my education. I probably won't make in my entire life what Griffey will make this month. Got to think of the family

go bucks

Quote Originally Posted by NICK5
    I'll trade the ball for his yacht.
    best idea yet!!!

Just musing about 2 situations...

1) Sitting in right field, if I were to catch it, I can only imagine the reaction if I turned around and chucked it into the Ohio River. Seriously, what would happen? Mass chaos would ensue and I would be all over highlights, not to mention maybe a spot on the Tonight Show show or something.

2) Someone earlier mentioned tossing it to a Ranger outfielder, but wouldnt it be cool if you tossed it to JR. in the top half of the inning?

Those are the two things I might do.

If I caught 500..... I would glare at griffey and then run

yea Id give it to him

This is actually a tough question. But after much thought I think I would use it to help put my son through college.

I'd be happy to sell it to Jr. I'd even give him the hometown discount.

Trade it for pitching or Scott Rolen! :mhcky21:
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

University of Cincinnati

Id give it to him i think, im not going to lie that $70,000 makes me think twice, but id be pretty happy with a signed jersey, bat, ball, maybe even shoes and i would want one of those items having to do with that game. For instance if he hit 500 id want the jersey or something he hit it in signed with maybe a #500 next to his signature or something :GAC:
    THE University of Cincinnati

Turn Off Ads?