Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you caught #500...

Re: If you caught #500...

This is honestly a tough one for me. Since it is Junior and I truly believe he is a very good guy, I want to say I'd just give it to him. I'd also want to believe, however, that he and/or the Reds "recognizes" there is some kind of "market: out there for that thing and that I'd be passing that up. Now I don't know what the true market is/will be. I just cannt fathom thousands of dollars for an $11 baseball. So despite feelings towards READREAD's side (a chance to make $XXXXX rarely surfaces, I'd probably lean toward giving the ball back immediately, but in my heart of hearts I would hope that somehow the Reds/junior would recognize the "lost opportunity" with some pics, autograph, maybe a signed glove... I'd probably do the right thing because it is a player I genuinely respect and admire from a personal standpoint. But man, just aying no to potentially any amount of money in the thousands is just hard to come to grips with hypothetically right now...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd milk it for what it's worth. That's a no-brainer.

Homeruns are public property. Finders, keepers. It's one of the few benefits that the fans do get. If Junior wants the ball, let him be the highest bidder. He's gotten enough of my money already. He doesn't need any charity from me.

Junior burps $60,000 when he wakes up in the morning.

That's a good way to look at it Macro.

If I catch the 500th HR I will definately try to work something out to get it to Griffey but I'm not interested in autographed bats, balls or pictures. I would try to get some good tickets for five or six weekends a year for several years ( say 5) and see if he could put a little change into the kids colege fund. Then of course there's always the temptation of testing the free agent market with it if you know what I mean, just to see what kind of offers are out there.

And if there's a 4-year old standing next to me, he better get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    And if there's a 4-year old standing next to me, he better get out of the way.
    Cute. :thumbdn:

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Oh... and welcome to the board!
    <sigh> wonders why zombie didn't welcome me to the board </sigh>

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I would keep it and make Griffey jump through a thousand hoops to get it back.

jk.

I'd probably give it back as long as I got a picture with him and maybe a few signed balls and bat. Got a wife and 2 kids to feed ya know.
    So, you would sell the picture, signed balls (whose?) and bat? Just wondering how giving #500 back to Griffey would help you put food on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Remember, you're not returning something that belongs to him. You're giving him a gift of something that belongs to you. There is a difference.
    Also remember that "gifts" should not have to be paid for by the recipient.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by reds1990
    So, you would sell the picture, signed balls (whose?) and bat? Just wondering how giving #500 back to Griffey would help you put food on the table.
    Sure, the 500 ball would be worth more, but Im thinking I could package all the signed stuff as a deal and make soemthing off it. Griffey hit the 500, not me.

In all seriousness, I firmly believe that Jr wouldn't expect the ball be given to him for nothing. However, for the fan to give it to Jr with nothing expected in return would probably reap a nice return for that fan. Something that Jr thinks is worth something to that person.

Geez, look what Danny is trying to do for the guy that returned his wallet! Though, of course, the wallet was his and not a "gift".
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    I'm not going to lie, if I could fetch $70,000 for catching a baseball I would have to take it unless Griffey offered at least $50,000. With the near sellouts and all, Linder should buy it for him. That kind of money would pay lots of bills for the average fan.
    Glad to see this. I was thinking I was a major prick or something. I would do the same. I can't be an idiot. I have a family and that would go a long way to sending my kids to college. The same way the players get millions to play a game - I'd be crazy not to take 70,000 to help educate my kids and get them started out on the right foot. I will say though that I would take less if Griffey offered like bleedsred said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Red
    Do ya think the Reds would give me season tickets for life in exchange for the ball?

I would actually give it to Griffey. I think about all the family mementos and things that are important to me that I would not give away no matter the circumstances. I'm sure that ball would mean just as much to Griff. The season tix for life would be kinda nice though

Id give it to him for a signed bat & jersey.... but if he wants to give me more thats fine with me. :GAC:

Sorry but I got bills to pay and I'd like to get a new car before this one goes off to junk heaven. Considering that I couldn't even afford season tickets this year because money is so tight - making money off the ball is a no-brainer...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?