Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And You Thought the Clinton Haircut Was Expensive

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And You Thought the Clinton Haircut Was Expensive

Where are my GOP attack dogs when these stories break?

"Wise stewardship?"

In a speech on April 15, President Bush said: "People ... expect from their public service (sic) a wise stewardship of the taxpayers' money." Well, this is true.

Yet we have another example today of the president's waste of taxpayers' money financing his reelection efforts.

Why, you might ask did White House "advance" aides order the Pentagon, with one day's notice, to build a $100,000 platform -- with red carpet, a walkway and an artificial island -- over a memorial pool at the U.S. cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer during the D-Day 60th anniversary?

So Bush and French President Jacques Chirac could "walk in style to the dais," the New York Daily News reports. "That money will have to come out of some account that otherwise would be spent on soldiers," a source told the newspaper.

The Progress Report points out today that "the revelations about the Bush administration's disregard for taxpayer money are not new. Last year, the president had the government spend about $1 million for his aircraft carrier photo-op when he declared major combat over in Iraq. In 2001, the administration spent $34 million to send every taxpayer a letter trumpeting the president's tax cuts for the wealthy. And as AP reports, 'President Bush is using Air Force One for re-election travel more heavily than any predecessor, wringing maximum political mileage from a perk of office paid for by taxpayers.' Air Force One costs roughly $56,800-per-hour to run, and Bush is forcing the government to pick up most of the tab of his 68,000 miles traveled, much of it to swing states where he holds campaign events."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And You Thought the Clinton Haircut Was Expensive

It's easy enough to tear Bush to pieces over real issues, so why is the media wasting time with petty stuff like this?

Lay into him for his world-shaking blunders in Iraq, not for drop-in-the-bucket frivolous spending.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

You'll gain some credibility when you can cite a source that has one ounce of impartiality.

"The Progress Report" is right up there with FreeRepublic, The Daily Worker and Stormfront when it comes to accuracy.

The article doesn't really editorialize much, so I fail to see how the source has any relevance. Either this is true or it isn't. Either they spent $199k for this or they didn't. When it's simply stating facts, who cares what the source is.

But I agree with Johnny. I'm sure you could find stuff like this on a daily basis for just about any President. I doubt they went to Geroge W Bush and asked him if he approved of this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yep, no matter who is president, they pretty much have blatant disregard
    for taxpayer money :thumbdn:
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Yep, left/right each as selfish as the other
    Go Gators!

The haircut story has again been spread in another new right wing hate book, The Truth About Hillary by Edward Klien. So, I have checked the story out, because I heard this LIE repeated by my republican friends over the last 12 years. And I'm SICK of their bullcrap. But I can't really blame them since it has been repeated by the right wing media for the past 12 years.

According to a July 1, 1993, St. Louis Post-Dispatch article:

The story was that planes were kept circling as President Bill Clinton had his hair clipped on Air Force One at Los Angeles International Airport last month. The runway haircut by Beverly Hills stylist Cristophe became such a metaphor for perceived White House arrogance that the president himself felt compelled to apologize for the reported flight delays. But the reports were wrong. According to Federal Aviation Administration records obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, the haircut May 18 caused no significant delays of regularly scheduled passenger flights -- no circling planes, no traffic jams on the runways. Commuter airlines that fly routes reportedly affected by the president's haircut confirmed that they had no record of delays that day. The FAA records show that an unscheduled air taxi flight had the only delay attributed to the closure of two runways for an hour in anticipation of Air Force One's departure. The air taxi took off 17 minutes after leaving the gate - two minutes late, by FAA accounting. "If you understand the air traffic system, you'd find that statement (that planes were circling) ludicrous," said Fred O'Donnell, an FAA spokesman at the agency's Western-Pacific regional office. The office responded to Newsday's May 21 request under the Freedom of Information law. O'Donnell said that although two runways were closed, traffic was light that afternoon and arriving flights were simply diverted to the two other runways. "It did not cause any problems," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Well lets look at the facts: Clinton Administration- Budget had a 230 Billion Dollar surplus.
    Bush Administration: Budget has a 477 Billion dollar deficit.

I see a difference there.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

For a second, I thought I had a lot more to drink last night than I actually did.

This thread is from 2004. Whew.

And RBA- thanks for snoping the rumor out. I thought it was true myself until I read that. These guys amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    For a second, I thought I had a lot more to drink last night than I actually did.

This thread is from 2004. Whew.

And RBA- thanks for snoping the rumor out. I thought it was true myself until I read that. These guys amaze me.
    Whats even more amazing is that both sides are guilty of it. So I hope you're not trying to feign some sort of innocence here Dom for your side.

Both sides can spend eternity sighting penny-ante stories about frivolous political spending by the other party.

On the lighter side...

Before his infamous haircut on the tarmac, Clinton asked his stylist Christophe, "How long will this take, how much will it cost, and how good will this look?"

Christophe replied just ten minutes, cost $20, and look marvelous. An hour and fifteen minutes later, Clinton looked into the mirror in horror and Christophe handed him a bill for $200.

Clinton gasped, "You took too long, it doesn't look that great, and it is costing me ten times more than you said!"

Christophe replied, "That makes us even."
    Last edited by GAC; 06-26-2005 at 07:38 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    The haircut story has again been spread in another new right wing hate book, The Truth About Hillary by Edward Klien. So, I have checked the story out, because I heard this LIE repeated by my republican friends over the last 12 years. And I'm SICK of their bullcrap. But I can't really blame them since it has been repeated by the right wing media for the past 12 years.

According to a July 1, 1993, St. Louis Post-Dispatch article:

The story was that planes were kept circling as President Bill Clinton had his hair clipped on Air Force One at Los Angeles International Airport last month. The runway haircut by Beverly Hills stylist Cristophe became such a metaphor for perceived White House arrogance that the president himself felt compelled to apologize for the reported flight delays. But the reports were wrong. According to Federal Aviation Administration records obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, the haircut May 18 caused no significant delays of regularly scheduled passenger flights -- no circling planes, no traffic jams on the runways. Commuter airlines that fly routes reportedly affected by the president's haircut confirmed that they had no record of delays that day. The FAA records show that an unscheduled air taxi flight had the only delay attributed to the closure of two runways for an hour in anticipation of Air Force One's departure. The air taxi took off 17 minutes after leaving the gate - two minutes late, by FAA accounting. "If you understand the air traffic system, you'd find that statement (that planes were circling) ludicrous," said Fred O'Donnell, an FAA spokesman at the agency's Western-Pacific regional office. The office responded to Newsday's May 21 request under the Freedom of Information law. O'Donnell said that although two runways were closed, traffic was light that afternoon and arriving flights were simply diverted to the two other runways. "It did not cause any problems," he said.
    What's surprising is that it took you guys 12 years to figure that out and debunk it.

And it was originally reported on the newswires the day after it happen by Reuters, not some rightwing news source.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Well lets look at the facts: Clinton Administration- Budget had a 230 Billion Dollar surplus.
    Bush Administration: Budget has a 477 Billion dollar deficit.

I see a difference there.
    I'm not taking sides.. both are crooks..

But let me point out that Clinton's surplus was fueled increased revenues (stock market, people rolling their IRAs into Roth IRAs). It wasn't a surplus due to restraint in spending.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

For a Level Playing Field

Still not over the haircut thing? Wow! Must have been a lot of sleepless nights since that story broke.

If we are going to discuss past (10+ years) scandalous stories... how 'bout Chappaquiddick? I think someone actually died. I think someone almost got away with murder, as the phrase goes. Perhaps the right-wing media made the whole thing up? Discuss.

There... I feel better. I think I need a haircut. Don't worry... I won't take the route to the barbershop that includes that little bridge over a bay.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Still not over the haircut thing? Wow! Must have been a lot of sleepless nights since that story broke.

If we are going to discuss past (10+ years) scandalous stories... how 'bout Chappaquiddick? I think someone actually died. I think someone almost got away with murder, as the phrase goes. Perhaps the right-wing media made the whole thing up? Discuss.

There... I feel better. I think I need a haircut. Don't worry... I won't take the route to the barbershop that includes that little bridge over a bay.
    I'm not taking your bait, because if we are going into politiican causing the death of innocent people, you may not like what I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

Hey RFA1966,

This is your warning. If you ever mention Ted Kennedy again I am going to start docking you points.

Really, just let it go, you've got to have something else in your arsenal besides Ted Kennedy.

I swear, sometimes I think you're going to end up in a straight jacket in a padded room mumbling... "Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy,Ted Kennedy.........what about Ted Kennedy?"
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?