Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Re: Reds Acquire Gabe White

we got white and cash for manning and ptbn.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yes...and folks think this is a good deal? A situational lefty for all of that? Wake up people.

I'm awake, and I don't see a situational lefty on the Reds staff right now so you better go get one.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1990
    It seems that everyone loves to chime in negatively on a player. You know, it demonstrates our "knowledge" of the game. Seriously, Sullivan was lights out for awhile. Any of you guys remember that? He had an injury, I believe, and seemed really hittable after that. Sullivan is one of those sub-marine pitchers, which I think throws hitters off.
    Sully's got a flashy 3.60 ERA, so maybe he's back. Of course reliever ERA's are not all that. Look at Graves' ERA. Not bad, but the end result is much worse.

Bringing back old players when they lose their value is folly. We need to look to the future. Giving up young players for an old one only works when the young one is Joe Blow and the old one is Barry Bonds...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Sometimes people amaze me. You do realize we just picked a major leaguer, not dealt one. A guy with a recent history of being very good.
    I don't mind the Reds rolling the dice on White, I just don't think they ought to be paying seven figures out of what is surely a small reserve fund to do it.

If the Yankees are paying most or all of White's contract, then I don't mind the deal. I don't have a lot of hope it will make much difference, but I don't mind it. My sole concern is that the Reds not spend themselves out of something far more attractive down the road.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1990
    How come you left out Graves? Are you only talking about relief pitchers and not closers?
    Yes.

But just for you

Graves: May 1.96 ERA in 18.1 IP. June: 5.41 ERA in 8.1 IP
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Per ESPN transactions - Reds get White, a PTBNL, and cash for Manning. Looks good to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Bringing back old players when they lose their value is folly. We need to look to the future. Giving up young players for an old one only works when the young one is Joe Blow and the old one is Barry Bonds...

You can't have it both ways. You can't blast management for not going out and getting help and then complaining that the help is "too old". If you want to make a playoff push you have to get veterans in here. Also, Manning isn't one of O'Brien's "guys". Maybe O'Brien has some guys he wants to put in Manning's spot. Either way I like this White deal. People hated that the Reds tore the bullpen up last year and now don't want some of the same players from that same bullpen. You get Gabe White in here and Sullivan and Leskanic and I think that would go a long way towards shoring up this bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Yawn move to me ...
    Couldn't agree more. I like White. And on a better club could really prove to be a valuable part, but this team is not contending with or without him. Too many holes. Until they address their need in the rotation, I believe they're just spinning their wheels. Wake me when they trade a Casey or Kearns type player for a couple young stud pitchers.

Interesting that major sources claim completely different things on the "Cash/PTBNL" situation. I can't see the Reds paying cash on top of taking on White's salary, with the pitching results that White has demonstrated so far this year.

This club has been crying poor mouth for so long people are buying into it. White might not make a bit of difference, but his salary is chump change for a major league baseball team that just drew 100,000 ppl for a three game series against the Montreal * Expos. There is no downside to this deal, even if Gabe blows up. Heck, he could end up closing games before the year is over. He has been inconsistent throughout his career, but when he is right he can be very good. More often than not, the starters are giving us a chance to win ball games. Hopefully this is the first of a few more moves to fix the situation in the pen.
    Last edited by CougarQuest; 06-19-2004 at 12:06 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    Couldn't agree more. I like White. And on a better club could really prove to be a valuable part, but this team is not contending with or without him. Too many holes. Until they address their need in the rotation, I believe they're just spinning their wheels. Wake me when they trade a Casey or Kearns type player for a couple young stud pitchers.
    The Reds are 3 games out of first and in first in the Wild Card, that's a contending team where I come from.

36-year-old RHRP Leskanic makes $1.25M this year.

This year he's been in 19 games, pitching 15.1 innings, giving up 23 hits, 16 runs, 5 HR, 14 BB, with 15 K's. He has 2 saves with 3 blown saves. He has a 2.36 WHIP! Batters are hitting .324 against him! He has an 8.04 ERA.

Wow, I didn't realize he was THAT bad. I think I'll pass on Leskanic.

Now get me Sullivan, yeah if we can get Scott Sullivan I think our bullpen would be alright!

By the way, one thing about Sullivan, I think he has the mindset and the stuff to be a closer. I'd like to have Sullivan just to be a closer and use Graves and Reidling and Jones as setup guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    36-year-old RHRP Leskanic makes $1.25M this year.

This year he's been in 19 games, pitching 15.1 innings, giving up 23 hits, 16 runs, 5 HR, 14 BB, with 15 K's. He has 2 saves with 3 blown saves. He has a 2.36 WHIP! Batters are hitting .324 against him! He has an 8.04 ERA.
    Don't care - let Hume and Gullet have at him. He has been effective in the past and those are the type guys that the Reds pitching braintrust thrives on.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?