Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    Couldn't agree more. I like White. And on a better club could really prove to be a valuable part, but this team is not contending with or without him. Too many holes. Until they address their need in the rotation, I believe they're just spinning their wheels. Wake me when they trade a Casey or Kearns type player for a couple young stud pitchers.
    Not contending? What team are you watching?

This team is in 2nd place and first place in the Wildcard right now..will it last, I don't know, but making moves like Gabe White can be a big help in a shaky bullpen.

Gabe White had success here....now he's back -- let's see what happens.

It appears the FO is doing something to show they actually are trying for once....something we've been wanting for a long while

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hey Matt, any chance the on-air folks at your station could start using their influence to get Reds fans to stuff the All-Star ballot for a few of the team's higher profile players?

The only reason why Barry Larkin isn't leading the NL SS ballot is because Astros and Cardinals fans have swarmed in support of their guys. Reds fans have got to retaliate.

We need the airwaves, baby.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    By the way, one thing about Sullivan, I think he has the mindset and the stuff to be a closer. I'd like to have Sullivan just to be a closer and use Graves and Reidling and Jones as setup guys.
    Yeap, sounds good to me ! Sully has always gone after hitters, would handle the pressure much better than Graves. Danny would be a great mop-up reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Not contending? What team are you watching?

This team is in 2nd place and first place in the Wildcard right now..will it last, I don't know, but making moves like Gabe White can be a big help in a shaky bullpen.

Gabe White had success here....now he's back -- let's see what happens.

It appears the FO is doing something to show they actually are trying for once....something we've been wanting for a long while
    A couple of points I would like to make on this thread.
    1. i am very pleased with this trade. white has always been an eexcellent pitcher here and has always been nails against lefties.
    2. Sully would be a great pickup imo. He always struggles early , and after it warms up his "frisbees" are virtually impossible for righties to handle.
    3. Leskanic imo would be a serious upgrade over Reith and or Norton. He seemed to be a reliable pitcher for the Brew Crew. I think Hume could work out the kinks.
    4. I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE THE REDS FINALLY MAKE A MOVE THAT AT LEAST SYMBOLIZES A MOVE TO HELP THESE VETS WIN. THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THIS MOVE. THESE GUYS NEED TO FEEL LIKE MNGMT IS GOING TO HELP THEM.

BRETTFAVRE

From the Yankees point of view White has been just awful. They realized they could't count on him for the post season so they dumped him. White is nowhere near the pitcher he was with the Reds last year. I suspect physical problems. But I don't see any down side to this move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Red Smokey
    A couple of points I would like to make on this thread.
    1. i am very pleased with this trade. white has always been an eexcellent pitcher here and has always been nails against lefties.
    2. Sully would be a great pickup imo. He always struggles early , and after it warms up his "frisbees" are virtually impossible for righties to handle.
    3. Leskanic imo would be a serious upgrade over Reith and or Norton. He seemed to be a reliable pitcher for the Brew Crew. I think Hume could work out the kinks.
    4. I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE THE REDS FINALLY MAKE A MOVE THAT AT LEAST SYMBOLIZES A MOVE TO HELP THESE VETS WIN. THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THIS MOVE. THESE GUYS NEED TO FEEL LIKE MNGMT IS GOING TO HELP THEM.
    I agree with everything you said BRS.

I have been a vocal critic of the front office, but at least they see the bullpen problem and are trying to fix it. They said they had money to spend if they were competitive, and they at least made one move.

But, as much as I like this move, they still need at least one more reliever and a starter, so hopefully this is the first move of a trifecta
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

If anyone pick up curtis leskanic they would be on the hook for pro-rated of 350 k for the rest of year. per KC Star

that would cost the reds around 175 grand for rest of the season, not a bad ideal least see what he has lefted in the tank imo.

Adding White...not a GREAT move, not a BAD move...I'd say it's a decent move. I think he will help a struggling bullpen. I think we hardly gave up anything. White is a piece to the puzzle of this team continuing to contend. There are still remaining pieces to be aquired if O'Brien and the FO are serious about contending, but I think this is a move in the right direction.

Odds are when the Reds are 45-45 8 games out of first, 7 games out of the wild card, which they are heading to, they will be out of it and long gone out of it. White is a sideways "yawn" move in case they still can surprise, but tonights loss hurt and Acevedo's death as a SP might be the finishing blow.

A good deal as long as Cash is coming this way. I've been supporting White for awhile now in that if he were here in the Reds pen with Hume where he is comfortable, he would likely not be struggling. He struggled in CO but looked great as soon as he returned to Cincy. I expect the same if healthy. Not a bad risk.

And he is not a situational lefty per se but was often used in setup with the Reds. Also the Reds did well with 3 lefties last year (not that norton and MAthews are equal Heredia and Mercker).

Manning has a better chance of being a PH in the bigs than a starting pitcher. This was his 3rd go at AA if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Bill; 06-19-2004 at 01:48 AM.

06/18/2004 11:48 PM ET
    Reds acquire White from Yankees
    LHP Charlie Manning Sent To New York

ST. LOUIS -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the acquisition of LHP Gabe White, a player to be named later and an undisclosed amount of cash from the New York Yankees in exchange for minor league LHP Charlie Manning.
    White, 32, returns for his third stint with the Reds (1997-2000, 2002-03). He last pitched for Cincinnati in 2003 and went 3-0 with a 3.93 ERA in 34 relief appearances before he was traded to the Yankees on July 31 for a player to be named later.

White was originally acquired by the Reds from Montreal on December 15, 1995 in exchange for INF Jhonny Carvajal. He was traded to Colorado on April 7, 2000 in exchange for RHP Manny Aybar and was then re-acquired by the Reds on December 18, 2001, along with RHP Luke Hudson, in exchange for INF Pokey Reese and LHP Dennys Reyes.

White went 0-1 with an 8.27 ERA in 24 relief appearances with the Yankees this season. He produced a sterling 2.13 ERA in his first 15 games of the season, but in a pair of appearances on 5/15 vs Seattle and 6/11 vs San Diego allowed 11 earned runs in 3.0 innings. His overall ERA without those 2 outings drops to 4.08.

White is expected to join the Reds in St. Louis tomorrow (Saturday). He will wear uniform number 36. To make room on the 40-man roster, following tonight's game the Reds designated for assignment RHP Brian Reith.

Manning, 25, went 4-4 with a 5.12 ERA in 13 starts at Class AA Chattanooga this season. He was acquired by the Reds on July 31, 2003 as part of the deal that sent 3B Aaron Boone to New York.

© 2004 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the acquisition of LHP Gabe White, a player to be named later and an undisclosed amount of cash from the New York Yankees in exchange for minor league LHP Charlie Manning.
    WOW. Even if it's a single A player, the Reds get a major league LEFTHANDED reliever, cash and a PTBNL for Manning.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If it was this was a movie about baseball in the 30's and 40's then Gabe White is Bobo Newsom and the Reds are the Washington Senators.

BTW I tend to think that Gabe is a injury risk as well, hence the PTBD.

White went 0-1 with an 8.27 ERA in 24 relief appearances with the Yankees this season. He produced a sterling 2.13 ERA in his first 15 games of the season, but in a pair of appearances on 5/15 vs Seattle and 6/11 vs San Diego allowed 11 earned runs in 3.0 innings. His overall ERA without those 2 outings drops to 4.08.
    Well there you go.

Perhaps, but there is a great chance he will be an improvement. Alone however this won't make a difference.

Can someone tell me how much $$$$$$ usually goes in these cash consideration deals? Is it like $35,000 or is it even that much?

Turn Off Ads?