Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Re: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    Exactly ChipR, Gabe is a veteran, he knows the National League so it shouldn't be that big of an adjustment. What I don't understand is that people are complaining "Please don't go get White, Heredia and Sullivan"! Hello, haven't people been saying all year that if we had last year's bullpen we would be in first place? Last year's bullpen including Gabe White and Scott Sullivan. If the Reds turn around and get Scott Sullivan as well, assuming he's healthy, all the better. Sullivan, White, Jones and Reidling are a good anchor in the bullpen. There are some other guys available so please shore up the pen.

Leskanic would be a great BP pickup IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    If we gave up Charlie Manning, Ptbn and cash for Gabe White, Dan O'brien needs to be fired.
    The way I heard on the news is that the Reds go Gabe at PTBN & cash for Manning.

ESPN.com trans. says we gave up Manning, PTBNL, and cash for White.

I pray not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    Did I hear the Reds got cash?? Now it makes sense.
    Sometimes people amaze me. You do realize we just picked a major leaguer, not dealt one. A guy with a recent history of being very good.

The transaction from the wire reads as follows.

Acquired pitcher Gabe White from the New York Yankees for pitcher Charlie Manning, a player to be named and cash considerations;

So we apparently GAVE CASH, unless the wire got it wrong.

White has been awful as a yankee so apparently we are to some extent undoing what we did with this deal last year.

Now, according to ESPN, White has been in 24 ballgames this year. He has allowed runs in 7 of them. Just a little over a month ago, his ERA was as low as 2.13. So the guy has just had a bad month. I don't think it is necessarily a sign he is a bad pitcher.

I think this is a good pickup. I think we badly need to send out norton. In fact, I would like to see us use this as an opportunity to really mix things up a little. Send out Norton, Reith, and Valentin and bring up Myette or Sanchez and Miller. And I would also insert Pena into the everyday lineup until Kearns is back let him see what he can learn against righties.

I really like this move. I like where this team is at. And I hope Gabe regains his form and is the same pitcher we saw last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Leskanic would be a great BP pickup IMO.
    I hope the Reds are eyeing him and do everything they can to get him. I'm actually more concerned with the bullpen then the starting pitching.

SURELY, we're not giving the forsaken Yankees cash. My head might explode.

Now, posted on rotoworld.com:

Code:
    Reds acquired LHP Gabe White and cash from the Yankees for LHP Charlie Manning and a player 
    to be named. The Yankees opted to give on White after he posted an 
    8.27 ERA in 24 relief appearances this season. He'll probably go 
    back to being a useful reliever in Cincinnati.
    Last edited by SirFelixCat; 06-18-2004 at 11:40 PM.

Gabe White stats with Reds.

2002 with Reds
    ERA 2.98
    IP 54.1
    H 49
    R 19
    ER 18
    HR 3
    BB 10
    SO 41

2003 with Reds
    ERA 3.93
    IP 34.1
    H 36
    R 15
    ER 15
    HR 5
    BB 6
    SO 23

I imagine the PTBNL will be dependant on how White does and you can count on the fact it wont be anyone worth anything. This is a good move, and heck if you can get Sully and Heredia back wonderful. We had a very good pen last year. If you had those 3, Jones, Gravey, Reidling, and Norton or Matthews that is a lights out pen. It wont happen but it would be nice.

Reith: May 7.36 ERA in 11 IP. June 9.00 ERA in 7 IP

Matthews: May 4.15 ERA in 4.1 IP. June 2.89 ERA in 9.1 IP.

Norton: May 1.64 ERA in 11 IP. June 3.86 ERA in 9.1 IP.

Reidling: May 2.20 ERA in 16.1 IP. June 11.42 ERA in 8.2 IP.

Jones: May 3.94 ERA in 16 IP. June 1.86 ERA in 9.2 IP.

White: May 8.18 ERA in 11 IP. June 20.25 ERA in 2.2 IP.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think people are mistaken, I'm pretty sure the report said that the Reds received cash from the Yankees not vice versa. That rotoworld report is true I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    If we gave up Charlie Manning, Ptbn and cash for Gabe White, Dan O'brien needs to be fired.
    Yes...and folks think this is a good deal? A situational lefty for all of that? Wake up people.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    the sad thing is they might pick up sullivan.
    It seems that everyone loves to chime in negatively on a player. You know, it demonstrates our "knowledge" of the game. Seriously, Sullivan was lights out for awhile. Any of you guys remember that? He had an injury, I believe, and seemed really hittable after that. Sullivan is one of those sub-marine pitchers, which I think throws hitters off.

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    Reith: May 7.36 ERA in 11 IP. June 9.00 ERA in 7 IP

Matthews: May 4.15 ERA in 4.1 IP. June 2.89 ERA in 9.1 IP.

Norton: May 1.64 ERA in 11 IP. June 3.86 ERA in 9.1 IP.

Reidling: May 2.20 ERA in 16.1 IP. June 11.42 ERA in 8.2 IP.

Jones: May 3.94 ERA in 16 IP. June 1.86 ERA in 9.2 IP.

White: May 8.18 ERA in 11 IP. June 20.25 ERA in 2.2 IP.
    How come you left out Graves? Are you only talking about relief pitchers and not closers?

"June 18, 2004
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The New York Yankees traded struggling left-hander Gabe White back to the Cincinnati Reds on Friday for minor league pitcher Charlie Manning, a player to be named and cash. "

Turn Off Ads?