Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Re: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    36-year-old RHRP Leskanic makes $1.25M this year.

This year he's been in 19 games, pitching 15.1 innings, giving up 23 hits, 16 runs, 5 HR, 14 BB, with 15 K's. He has 2 saves with 3 blown saves. He has a 2.36 WHIP! Batters are hitting .324 against him! He has an 8.04 ERA.
    Perfect time to aquire him.

His true market value is at least 40% higher than his current market value. Pick him up cheap. He's a better pitcher than he's showing himself to be right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Red Smokey
    A couple of points I would like to make on this thread.
    1. i am very pleased with this trade. white has always been an eexcellent pitcher here and has always been nails against lefties.
    2. Sully would be a great pickup imo. He always struggles early , and after it warms up his "frisbees" are virtually impossible for righties to handle.
    3. Leskanic imo would be a serious upgrade over Reith and or Norton. He seemed to be a reliable pitcher for the Brew Crew. I think Hume could work out the kinks.
    4. I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE THE REDS FINALLY MAKE A MOVE THAT AT LEAST SYMBOLIZES A MOVE TO HELP THESE VETS WIN. THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THIS MOVE. THESE GUYS NEED TO FEEL LIKE MNGMT IS GOING TO HELP THEM.
    Great point!...and was the 6-0 win a possible result of the team feeling that management was behind them in trying to improve the club?

It's an emotional game. People forget this all the time. They played their hearts out on Friday night, only to get their guts ripped out of them at the end. Saturday's loss was a reflection of that. But they all sucked it up on Sunday, Father's Day (Field of Dreams, etc., very nostalgic day for baseball, I was at a minor league park giving away father's day gifts to the first 500 dads that walked through), and the team slammed shut the door on the Cardinals. 6-0 is a butt-whipping. Great comeback, with good momentum going to New York.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-21-2004 at 04:05 PM.

I know Gabe got knocked around in NY. Who knows why, not everything they touch turns to gold. He also got knocked around in Colorado, but also did well there. What's that tell us? We got a major league arm that had recent success here for someone that is probably never going to see a major league roster, anywhere. A low risk proposition and knocked one piece of chaff off the map. Next piece of chaff is Norton when Harang is ready as I feel a lot more comfortable with Gabey going out there in the roles that Phil has been filling. Let's just hope that the bad numbers were mental and mechanical, all of which can be fixed and very well could be in a familiar environment where one has had past success. Now, if we can just get a hard thrower in the mix somewhere. I know, I know we had two in Reitsma and Williamson but that's water under the bridge now. Maybe we could get a do over on Williamson (assuming his arm is still attached to his body, that is)? :mhcky21:

Hey Eric,
    I really think it would be good if we bring up Sanchez from Louisville in the near future. I think it would also be good if we signed LHP Curtis Leskanic and /or CJ Nit. to minor league contracts. If they did well we could trade a couple of LHPs relievers for some decent prospects and it would hurt our team. Sometimes AL teams really need a LHP bad who can only get out 2-3 LH hitters. We need to build up our minor leagues quality player base and this could be a good way of doing it. We could at least get some decent position players as minor league prospects.

I just don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in a Reds uniform again for a very loooong time!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Odds are when the Reds are 45-45 8 games out of first, 7 games out of the wild card, which they are heading to, they will be out of it and long gone out of it. White is a sideways "yawn" move in case they still can surprise, but tonights loss hurt and Acevedo's death as a SP might be the finishing blow.
    Man, you kill me. This team will never see 45-45. I'll welcome you back on the bandwagon when the REDS take the Series in New York this week.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If it was this was a movie about baseball in the 30's and 40's then Gabe White is Bobo Newsom and the Reds are the Washington Senators.

BTW I tend to think that Gabe is a injury risk as well, hence the PTBD.
    Good point. I was curious about a possible injury to White. I noticed the REDS weren't putting him through a physical before consumating the trade.

Most of the posters on this forum are way too critical and way to hard on Dan O'Brien. He's half-way into his first season as the REDS G.M. and most of the posts I read treat him like he's been here for five years and all the current results of the REDS are his fault.

There are so few of you here who recognize the time it takes to change an organization from a poor one (which is what it was when he took over) to a better one. When the organization you take over is predicted to have the worst record in all of baseball by half of the pre-season prognosticators, how long do you expect to see better results?

Give the guy a few years before you go bashing him.

For the record, this club has been in the playoff chase all year. A lot of this credit would have to go to Miley, but some of it goes to the guy G.M. Policy trickles down and effects an organization from top to bottom.

He doesn't have much room to maneuver because he lacks a lot of funds, but this move was an example of one that costs little and has great potential rewards.

It's always sound strategy to pay less for someone than what he's worth overall. Gabe White will have many good months over the next several years, hopefully sooner than later.

It's nice to see all the positive notes on this thread about acquiring White. It's also encouraging to see the positive notes from those who have admitted that they have expected more from Dan O'Brien by now.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I know Gabe got knocked around in NY. Who knows why, not everything they touch turns to gold. He also got knocked around in Colorado, but also did well there. What's that tell us? We got a major league arm that had recent success here for someone that is probably never going to see a major league roster, anywhere. A low risk proposition and knocked one piece of chaff off the map. Next piece of chaff is Norton when Harang is ready as I feel a lot more comfortable with Gabey going out there in the roles that Phil has been filling. Let's just hope that the bad numbers were mental and mechanical, all of which can be fixed and very well could be in a familiar environment where one has had past success. Now, if we can just get a hard thrower in the mix somewhere. I know, I know we had two in Reitsma and Williamson but that's water under the bridge now. Maybe we could get a do over on Williamson (assuming his arm is still attached to his body, that is)? :mhcky21:
    I'd love to see 75-80% of O'Brien's moves be good ones. There will be bad ones, but this isn't one of them. As you said, it improves one piece of the entire organization. This organization is only going to get better one move at a time.

The ultimate goal of the organization is to improve the minor league system, and if you can win now, if the team is in contention, then to attempt to do so, but not if it alters the plan of improving the minor league system. Losing Manning and getting White for $500K accomplishes all of the goals of the organization. It's a great move. Not all great moves are about great players. A great move can be about small pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Red
    Hey Eric,
    I really think it would be good if we bring up Sanchez from Louisville in the near future. I think it would also be good if we signed LHP Curtis Leskanic and /or CJ Nit. to minor league contracts. If they did well we could trade a couple of LHPs relievers for some decent prospects and it would hurt our team. Sometimes AL teams really need a LHP bad who can only get out 2-3 LH hitters. We need to build up our minor leagues quality player base and this could be a good way of doing it. We could at least get some decent position players as minor league prospects.

I just don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in a Reds uniform again for a very loooong time!
    I was thinking the same thing, though I hadn't read it in this thread until you mentioned it. I'm always seeing reports where teams need a lefty to get out just one guy during a game situation. Lefties have greater trade value. I'd love for this team to get Leskanic, also. It makes Graves even more tradable (to the White Sox?).

On another thread, here was Hal's response to the Sanchez question:

"Q — Why not bring in left-hander Jesus Sanchez for the bullpen? I thought he did well in spring training. I'd replace left-handed Phil Norton with Sanchez. — Michael, Dayton

A — Sanchez did very well early in spring training, but bottomed out late. He has done all right in Louisville. Norton did well late last season and, indeed, has struggled mightily lately. Being left-handed myself, I know how goofy and unreliable we can be. But just when you think we stink, we toss a little rose. Norton doesn't always stink like Ed Norton on The Honeymooners when he comes out of a sewer."

Personally, I know so little about the REDS minor leaguers. Is Sanchez ready to give him a shot? Would bringing him up now possibly hurt him in the future? Does he have control enough to follow the organization's philosophy of pitch-to-contact? With Bong having earned more playing time, would Sanchez be better off staying in the minors and getting starts, stretching out his arm for more innings next year, or would the stint as a reliever in the Majors be a place where he'll end up anyway?
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-21-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Turn Off Ads?