Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Re: Reds Acquire Gabe White

Maybe there will be a "sucker" out there at the deadline, but I won't hold my breath.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guess DanO is just trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I predict White exasperates this board as much as our other lefties.

It seems that O'Brien at least made a reasonable trade. White can be streaky for sustained periods. If Gully gets him squared away, he can be one of the most effective lefties around. If not he gets moved around the deadline for Pylo Cash.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Rotoworld is saying that the Reds are getting $700,000 plus the player to be named. :GAC:

White is more likely to help the Reds win this year than Manning is, which I thought was the objective of most folks on this board who are clammoring for a playoff run.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

White with the Reds....$700,000......and Reith is not with the Reds! How can this be bad for the Reds???....Reith is not with the Reds....Reith is not with the Reds....Reith is not with the Reds....just keep saying it and you love this trade.

Why is this a problem? We are still hanging around even with a bunch of injuries and Mr. Gasoline and Lighted Match in the back end of the bull pen.
    Losing last night was a problem but not this trade.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I like this deal, if the money is right. It may not pan out, but White has had some very successful years. Reith never has and never will, and I'm glad to see him off the roster. The prospect they gave up is reportedly not stellar.

Why not.

Next move, unload Graves. Put the money into a starting pitcher or two. Sign Leskanic. He can surely save the same percentage of games as Graves for a lot less money.
    Stick to your guns.

Upon further consideration ...

I've been gone for the past week and out of communication with the sports world. After looking at the boxes for the past week (I'm glad I was out of touch - shesh!) how does one complain about the FO acquiring a major league pitcher with a solid track record in Cincy for a 25 year old lefty in AA ball. Aside from the injuries this bullpen is awful. What's not to like - Reith goes away and White is added?

The FO has made two moves unlike the past - releasing Haynes and acquiring White. This is encouraging not alarming. What is alarming is Danny Graves in the 9th with a lead to protect or Ryan Freel having to play every day or Kearns spending more time in Louisville than in Cincy.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Hey Matt, any chance the on-air folks at your station could start using their influence to get Reds fans to stuff the All-Star ballot for a few of the team's higher profile players?

The only reason why Barry Larkin isn't leading the NL SS ballot is because Astros and Cardinals fans have swarmed in support of their guys. Reds fans have got to retaliate.

We need the airwaves, baby.
    I know Tracy has been saying to vote vote vote...I'm not sure about Furball, I'm usually getting ready for the game and don't get a chance to hear him much.

I'll see what I can do

ORG Infidel

White always seemed to flourish in Gullet so why not? It isn't a bad deal by any stretch, and if he regains his form it will be a great deal. I am convinced that some here just need to complain for th esake of complaining.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Seems like a fairly low-risk deal here; to see if White still has it outside of New York isn't costing us much in either money or talent. As others have calculated, the net cost of White is about $500k (even less, actually, if dumping Reith saves us anything). Manning is 25 and approaching non-prospect status.

well, my opinion of O'Brien has increased tremendously. He gets a big thumbs up for at least trying to reinforce the bullpen Better late than never.

I really don't see how anyone can not like this deal. Manning is garbage. And Gabe's salary is heavily subsidized.

Even if you think this club is not a legit contender, Gabe will bump Reith or another one of the dregs out of the pen, and make the club a lot more pleasurable to watch.. Welcome back Gabe
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

reds1990

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redus
    Why is this a problem? We are still hanging around even with a bunch of injuries and Mr. Gasoline and Lighted Match in the back end of the bull pen.
    Losing last night was a problem but not this trade.
    I got a chuckle out of that, thanks for the humour

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Not contending? What team are you watching?
    This one. :MandJ:

Seriously, I applaud your optimism, but IMO this team is far from a contending club no matter where it sits in the standings now. It's just a matter of time. Make the best use of what talent you have to deal and move forward.

Turn Off Ads?