Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Card (500!!)

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Congratulations Card (500!!)

The drill is as follows...

PM me requesting to have your RedsZone alias added to the "e-card" and I will fit your name on the card. I will update the image and it will update on this page. For an example on how this worked last time, go here. I will probably try to get it completed by next weekend then the tough part; finding someone to give it to Griffey as a gift from us, RedsZone.

Remember, I am but one man so it may take me a little to get aliases all on there but I will probably do it in mass every few times a day.

Lets get this thing started!!! Congratulations Ken Griffey Jr. and GO REDS!

WARNING: ****I will not be using request messages in this thread as a means to add people.*****

WARNING: ****I will not be using request messages in this thread as a means to add people.*****
    Last edited by smith288; 06-21-2004 at 07:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congratulations Card (500!!)

Thanks so much for doing this again, smith.

Worth The Wait

Since he hit #499 last Sunday, I've taped every single AB he has had. I even made my wife watch just about all of them. The only game I did not have TV access for was the Sat. game in St. Louis-- I was SURE he would do that night. Lucky for me, he waited a day.

Now, I promise this story is NOT fabricated in anyway:

I put in a VHS tape and kept the game on the tube at my in-laws today as we celebrated Father's Day. I was careful to not be rude, but I did try to find a spot in front of the TV for every Griffey AB. He came up in the sixth at the EXACT moment the cake was being served. I made up an excuse to walk through the family room on my way to the dining room, in hopes of seeing another pitch or two. I waited until the count was 2-2. At that exact moment, my wife yelled, "what are you doing in there?" and I felt compelled to go back to the dining room-- as soon as I sat down, the entire family asked me what was wrong with me-- the said my face was "frozen." In the background, I could hear a murmor from the TV that wasn't normal. I knew I'd missed it. My wife asked, "Did he do it?" I said, "I think so" and ran into the family room. I got there just as he rounded third........ I knew all along that something was going to cause me to miss it. Just never thought it would be guilt.

Anyway, I did get it on tape and the entire family watched it with me later.

I have been crticial of the Junior trade in the past-- not of Junior per se, but of the trade and the idea of paying so much for a player for a team with our financial situation. I have said before that I would be open to a trade, and might still be.

But I will say this: I have been SO happy for Junior this year and was beaming for him today. Honestly, his personality isn't really my style, but he is a good man who plays the game hard-- I respect that. Nice to see him get a chance to celebrate with his family like that.

Good moment in Reds history, glad he did it with our team. Congrats Junior. You deserve it.

Add my name to the list please.

Brutus_the_Red
    Chip R
    VR
    RedBloodedAmerican
    Super_Barry11
    Buckeye33
    Reds Fanatic
    spaethc
    SC Reds Fans
    Boss-Hog
    Oxilon
    MWM
    Larkin Fan

All Added!

Please add me smith - I just sent you a PM.

I really enjoyed your story Edskin. My story isn't as interesting. I talked to my mom earlier today and told her I had this strange feeling he was going to do it sometime today, even though he hasn't hit Morris incredibly well, and even though he has struggled lately trying so hard to hit it.

By the time that AB rolled around, I thought he wasn't going to do it, as he was in a bad count (2-2). But as soon as that ball hit off the bat, I knew it was gone. I jumped so high that I hit the cord on my ceiling fan. It is ironic - I am flying into NY/NJ Tuesday, and was going to go to all three games of the Mets series if he was still stuck on 499. I was sad for a second that I missed it, but then I realized that it was better this way, as Mets fans would have never appreciated it the way Cards fans did. I went to one of the first games after the trade at Shea, and I swear those people invented some expletives that I didn't even know existed. And there was just something magical about it being Father's Day, and how instrumental Sr was in Jr's career, that made today truly perfect. It was just a great moment, especially when the whole team came onto the field. I really enjoyed it, and will never forget it.

Count me in please!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Brutus_the_Red
    Chip R
    VR
    RedBloodedAmerican
    Super_Barry11
    Buckeye33
    Reds Fanatic
    spaethc
    SC Reds Fans
    Boss-Hog
    Oxilon
    MWM
    Larkin Fan

All Added!
    Smitty!! I sent you a private message earlier, before you posted this list. Do I need to PM you again, or will this post do?

Please PM me as I am using the PM list as my guide and moving completed folks into a PM folder.

I will not be using request messages in this thread as a means to add people.

Thanks for asking!

Future Reds All Star

PM sent ! Love it and looks great!!!

Professor of Cardinalogy

Your PM's are full, but I'd like to have "GOOCH" added in there. D.GOOCH

Quote Originally Posted by GOOCH
    Your PM's are full, but I'd like to have "GOOCH" added in there. D.GOOCH
    Smith,

In response to this problem, I went ahead and (temporarily) gave you unlimited PM space.

WrigleyvilleRed
    gratefulred
    TeamBoone
    buckeyenut
    GIK
    Redny
    Marty and Joe
    RFS62
    Shaggy Sanchez
    RedRoser
    MasonBuzz3