Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who is the Reds biggest rival?

amploud

Re: Who is the Reds biggest rival?

Lifelong Cardinal fan here.

I certainly wish that the Card's and Reds were each other's greatest rival. Unfortunately, we are stuck with the Cubs. For the time being, it's a lousy rivalry. Under Dusty Baker, the Cubs are a bunch of over-confident, under-achieving, arrogant, classless, sloppy-playing, whining punks. Sometimes it's like playing agaist the junior varsity team of a mental institution. I think that 3 out of 7 of the Cub's suspensions this year have occured as a result of conduct during Cardinal-Cub games. It's really rather pathetic. They expected that the division would be their's from day 1. They can't handle it now that it's not. Cub fans are also quite a treat. They go from "wait 'till next year" to "Cub's Rule" over nothing but media hype. It's sad.

On the other hand, I've always considered the Reds to be a classy organization. I've enjoyed many conversations with knowledgable Reds fans. I consider the Reds and the Cardinals to be the greatest teams with the richest history in the National League. I've darn near been mugged by Cub fans at Wrigley Field (not a good place to be wearing a Card's jersey!). On the other hand, I've never had a problem at Riverfront/Cinergy (never been to Great American). Instead, I have enjoyed a friendly banter with the Reds fans that were seated around me.

I, for one, would love to see the Reds become our biggest rival.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Injury. And I might add it's another rivalry that we haven't been winning at.

Rivalries really mean nothing when you can't show competiveness on an equal plane.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'd have to agree with Carl Lindner, but
    I assume you are talking about other teams.. So.. Its really hard to have a rivalry when you suck. Just ask the Redskins, it used to be down and dirty with Dallas 2 times a year, but its hard to be a rival when you never win..
    With that being said a few years ago the Astros where pretty close, a few heated series between the 2 teams and a couple of bean ball games.. but then Reds started to suck and suck bad..

So, I'd have to go with Cleveland as far as most Reds fans are concerned, but with the team itself I'd have to go with getting up in the morning as their biggest rival, it must suck to see your name in the paper with blown save beside it or an L, or 2 or 3 E's or 3 or 4 K's.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan2
    The most disliked team in my point-of-view as a Reds fan is Cleveland. I just don't like the way Indians fans act. It always seems like the little Indians hitters (Belliard, Crisp, Vizquel) beat up on the Reds every year, which irks me. I think the Indians are the reds biggest rivals.
    Since I grew up in So.Cal. as a Reds fan I can relate to this. I hated anything to do with Dodger "Blue". And that Dodger "Blue" thing always sounded so gay too. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But boy did I hate them. The only thing I could ever stand about them was Vin Scully. We were the Big Red Machine and the Dodgers and their fans had to come out with The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Ohhh How I hated them.

But today, the way the Cardinals have dominated us and the way George Grande always talks so highly of them, I have to say the Cardinals. :thumbdn:

Personally, I don't think the Reds have a rival.

From 1980-2004, the Reds have managed to make the playoffs twice, 1990 and 1995.

1990 NLCS 4-2
    1990 WS 4-0 (may be awhile for another WS )
    1995 NLDS 3-0
    1995 NLCS 0-4

Total 11-6

The NL Central is one of the toughest divisions to win since it has the Cardinals, Astros, and Cubs so the drought may continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Red
    Since I grew up in So.Cal. as a Reds fan I can relate to this. I hated anything to do with Dodger "Blue". And that Dodger "Blue" thing always sounded so gay too. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But boy did I hate them. The only thing I could ever stand about them was Vin Scully. We were the Big Red Machine and the Dodgers and their fans had to come out with The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Ohhh How I hated them.

But today, the way the Cardinals have dominated us and the way George Grande always talks so highly of them, I have to say the Cardinals. :thumbdn:
    Y'know, Cali...before realignment I hated the Dodgers like no NL team. In fact, I'd rather see the Reds lose a game to the Cardinals than give up a single run to the Dodgers.

But since the Reds are in the NL Central now, I'd have to say the Cardinals are my most hated team even if LA isn't the Reds' biggest rival anymore..

And disliking the Cards is too bad because we have a number of Cards Nation visitors who are real assets to the board.

That being said...I like MattyMo. I hate the St. Louis Cardinals.

MattyMO= Good

St. Louis Cardinals= BAD

"The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?