Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 10 prospects in the Reds system?

Re: Your Top 10 prospects in the Reds system?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Open question - If WMP is still considered a prospect. Would he be #1 on this list?
    Yes, hands down (at least IMO). He was #1 for me before the season started, even ahead of Wagner. Wagner #2, and Encarcion #3.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I know Seth Etherton was a rookie in 98, but he might be on the short list for guys to come to the majors if we start having SP injuries!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Yes, hands down (at least IMO). He was #1 for me before the season started, even ahead of Wagner. Wagner #2, and Encarcion #3.
    I'm with Redread - if Pena were included he'd be #1. Then I'd have Encarnacion, Claussen, Wagner.

I believe Claussen has a higher ceiling and is a starting pitcher, Wagner only comes out ahead if he becomes a lights out closer (and I'm much less confident in this than I was last year)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I have never seen any of these guys play so I'm not going to rank anyone. I do have some questions though. Why does anyone say anything negative about Wagner right now? This guy has not even had 1 year in the majors yet. I have more faith in him then just about anyone when it comes to making it. He might need 2 years in the minors but that would still be incredible.

Claussen scares me. Any prospect of the Yankees scares me. I really wish that we would have gone after prospects from the Dodgers or Mariners instead of the Yankees but that was last year. Hasn't Claussen pitched much better lately????

Here is my main question. Is anyone happy with our farm system now? Is it better than it was last year or even 4 months ago? Are we still at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the farm? Do we rank in the top 10? 15? I seriously do not know and am just curious because I am seeing names pop up on lists that I haven't seen before. I'm just wondering if people are being surprised by some prospects.

One other question. I have noticed Ryan Snare being talked about as being promising with the Rangers. Did we mess up here? Anyone heard anything about him.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Time is the Revelator.

Are people not high on Bong? He's only 23. I sometimes get him confused with Bruce Chen too.

Bong is not a true "prospect" He pitched the entire season with the Braves so that takes away prospect status in my book. That is the reason he doesnt get ranked on any prospect lists.

top ten
    (notice pitching is a little thin)

1. Alan Knicely -this guy has pop if they can find a position
    2. Pat Pacillo
    3. Adam Hyzdu
    4. Wade Rowdon
    5. Dallas Williams
    6. Rob Pugmire
    7. Eddie Priest
    8. Matt Belisle
    9. Jamie Dismuke
    10. Scott Bryant

Why has Smitherman dropped so far? Is it his age or is he just stinking it up this year? Or a combination of age and performance?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Open question - If WMP is still considered a prospect. Would he be #1 on this list?
    i'm gonna modify that question...if WMP was still considered a prospect, would he be in the top 20 in the country?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Two notes. First, I am absolutely no expert here. Just going on what I read and hear and my impeccably poor intuition.

Second, I consider prospects to be the players who are going to shape the ballclub's future who haven't logged a lot of PA's or IP's at the major league level (more than required to lose official rookie status). To me, prospects are guys you are still projecting about whether or not they will impact the major club in a significant way. We know Dunn and Kearns have and will. Wagner and WMP and FeLo, though are still unknowns.

Anyway, here are my best guesses:

1. Wagner (most sure shot to impact and has a high ceiling to boot)
    2. Moseley (most sure shot (IMO) to make a major league rotation, though his ceiling is not as high as others on the list)
    3. Encarnacion (high ceiling, all the tools, etc., but no more dominant in AA than Moseley and Moseley has proven himself in AAA as well)
    4. WMP (highest ceiling, but can't hit righties or curveballs, so I am still very concerned (not to mention the D, though D is sometimes overrated IMO))
    5. Pauly (sounds too good to keep out of the Top 5)
    6. Gardner (see Pauly, but substitute "Top 6" for "Top 5")
    7. Claussen (just worries me too much to put higher, and I think several in lower levels may have a better chance at developing into an ace)
    8. Votto (like the eye and the age)
    9. Nelson (saw him pitch a pretty good game for the Bats, and I am willing to keep him in the Top 10 pending his AA performance, which is where he should have been in the first place (with Moseley in Louisville and looking at a September or earlier call-up))
    10. I am copping out on No. 10 with Coffey, Smitherman (don't laugh, he is starting to hit), Blanco (though I am still not sold here), Booker (I am very intrigued despite his age), and both Sardinha and Corky (who will be the Reds duo soon) all bunched together.

I do not believe in the middle infield prospects at all. Maybe Ronda. But not Olmedo, FeLo, Bergolla, etc. Again, just my poor intuition, at least on Bergolla. I have seen Olmedo and FeLo and I am not sold at all.

I think the pitching picture is pretty good myself. Claussen, Nelson, Moseley, Pauly and Gardner (I am leaving Bong out who I think should be a bullpen lefty and I don't think Belisle will make it) look like they can turn out 2 solid guys for the rotation at a minimum over the next 3 years. That is not bad, and I can't remember the last time this seemed so possible. There could be three from the group (my best guesses are Moseley, Claussen and Pauly). I also think the injured masses and the really young guys will add another in the next five years or so (out the group of Gruler, Howington, Aramboles, Pelland, Bailey, Medlock and others).

Projecting this over the next five years, the farm could realistically produce 3 or 4 players for the rotation to go along with Acevedo and Harang along with the castaway free agent or two that the Reds sign. That is better than we have had over the last three years or so, I think. I am not sure there is a legit #1 or #2 that will emerge, but three legit #3's plus a couple of #4's would be an upgrade IMO.

Ahhhhhhhhh, you might want to include Catcher Miguel Perez. The Reds consider him in their top 2 prospects.
    Lance McAlister
    1360 HOMER WCKY

Miguel Perez? I'm not sure why the Reds would consider him higher than an Encarnacion, Moseley, or Votto. Or even in the top 10 for that matter.

He's not progressed all that quickly through they system. In 534 minor league ABs coming into this season, he's had only 15 EBH between rookie ball and Single A. The one time they did promote him, he pretty much fell flat on his face in Low A ball at Dayton, with an OPS of .445. In those same 534 ABs, he's only walked 36 times. So, he's not a guy who gets on base a great deal and he has no power.

So far this year, at Dayton again, he's stinking up the joint as well.

Why would anyone consider him a prospect at all, let alone a top one?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Lance, is their anyway you could get someone like Tim Naering or the like, to give a rundown on who their top 10-15 prospects are?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Lance, is their anyway you could get someone like Tim Naering or the like, to give a rundown on who their top 10-15 prospects are?
    I doubt you could get a straight list, probably just BS like he said why Moseley was still in AA.

I put in a call to Tim over the weekend. Hope to get him this week or next.

As for MWM.........you might ask around baseball.
    Lance McAlister
    1360 HOMER WCKY

Turn Off Ads?