Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack Comes Through (KGJ, Casey, Graves, Larkin) All Stars

Re: Jack Comes Through (KGJ, Casey, Graves, Larkin) All Stars

Congratulations Barry! And thank you Jack, who named him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I would. He's not a good closer. Only good closers should be on the AS team, IMO.
    shhhhhh

31 saves
    2.89 ERA
    All-Star

What a bargain!

The price for Danny Graves just went up by a prospect.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

That's a nice tip of the cap to Mr. Larkin.

Other comments (Please note that McKeon does not have all say in the matter of reserves so this is not directed at him):

I love Carlos Beltran's game, but in what universe does he belong on the NL All-Star team after being in the NL for one week?

Moises Alou instead of Adam Dunn as an OF reserve is a joke, especially since they play the same stinkin' position. In fact, Moises Alou from the Cubs instead of Aramis Ramirez from the Cubs is also a farce considering that there's only one 3B reserve. I'm assuming that Casey won't be able to make the game and hope that we...somehow...see both Dunn and Ramirez suit up. They've earned it this year even more than Jack Wilson has, and certainly far more than Alou has. Alou being on the team is my "stinker" pick of the year.

Livan Hernandez might be the best "mandatory" single selection for a very bad team that I've seen in quite a while.

Nice pitching staff. Graves...eh. But overall a much better job than the AL version.

It ain't difficult to see that the Shortstop strength lies in the American League. The best SS in the game got voted on at 3B (A-Rod), Jeter's manning SS, and Tejada, Carlos Guillen, and Michael Young are having significantly better seasons than pretty much anyone running to the SS position in the NL. Michael Young is the best player you've never heard of.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Could Casey skip on playing in the All Star game (injury) and Dunn be his replacement?

"So Fla Red"

Steel -- Carlos Beltran can't participate in the game. Voted in by AL players, but not eligible since he switched leagues. McKeon would have to pick him. he can go to the park and hang out, but he can't participate? Odd...

Let's hope Dunn gets Casey's spot.

Looks like Graves and Casey were players' picks?
    Jack picked Barry
    Fans picked KGJ
    I pick Adam Dunn :mhcky21:

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon
    Could Casey skip on playing in the All Star game (injury) and Dunn be his replacement?
    Yes, it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon

If Casey skips the game, I would think Overbay would be his replacement, since both play the same position.

Steel, I don't disagree that Adam and Ramirez should go before Alou. But, Alou has almost equaled his home run production from last year already and helped carry the Cubs when Sosa was out. He has been very solid. I don't think it's that bad a selection. Jack probably came down to Larkin vs. Dunn, and decided on Barry because it will be his last appearance and the Reds already had three other reps.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Steel -- Carlos Beltran can't participate in the game. Voted in by AL players, but not eligible since he switched leagues. McKeon would have to pick him. he can go to the park and hang out, but he can't participate? Odd...

Let's hope Dunn gets Casey's spot.

Looks like Graves and Casey were players' picks?
    Jack picked Barry
    Fans picked KGJ
    I pick Adam Dunn :mhcky21:
    Thanks for the info about Beltran. It doesn't open up a slot, but that's good to know. Also glad to hear that McKeon picked Barry. That's classy.

I also agree with others that Drew and Abreu were snubbed (for Moises Alou????). Drew, Abreu, and Dunn all deserve to be there. Hopefully, we can get Dunn in through injury replacement.

<Edit: Just found out that Dunn isn't even on the "Final Vote" ballot. What good is leaving the final player up to fans if they can't actually VOTE for the player they want?? Juan Pierre??? Good lord.>
    Last edited by SteelSD; 07-04-2004 at 08:22 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    Steel, I don't disagree that Adam and Ramirez should go before Alou. But, Alou has almost equaled his home run production from last year already and helped carry the Cubs when Sosa was out. He has been very solid. I don't think it's that bad a selection. Jack probably came down to Larkin vs. Dunn, and decided on Barry because it will be his last appearance and the Reds already had three other reps.
    I hear what you're saying, Santo. It's just that I see Ramirez as the guy who's really done the work this season while Alou hangs on due to name recognition. Miguel Cabrera's another head-scratcher for me, but at least he's put up better numbers than Alou.

He's the one guy on that list that just jumps out and screams "Not Deserving" IMHO. Abreu, Drew, Dunn, Edmonds, Craig Wilson, and Luis Gonzalez are all far more deserving OF's in my eyes.

The best OF we could have had would have been a combination of Bonds/Drew/Berkman/Edmonds/Abreu/Dunn, but such is the All-Star game. Oh well.

--Ted Williams

Great to see, seems like the past few years we just got the 1 player..like the D-rays
    Go Gators!

WMP and Dunn for the HR Derby would be worth watching!

Not one mention of Bobby Abreu not making it? I think he got jobbed more than anyone. Including Adam Dunn. I'd take Abreu before Alou and Ramirez in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Playadlc; 07-04-2004 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    WMP and Dunn for the HR Derby would be worth watching!

I would love to see them in the homerun derby, and if they were in it they would have a pretty good chance to win.

:GAC:

i think dunn and abreu deserve to be on the team more than alou and cabrera

Turn Off Ads?