Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

Re: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

Why would Juan want to parlay his career year into being insurance for Barry?
    Lance McAlister
    1360 HOMER WCKY

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

How about D'Angelo at SS next year. He's been lights out all season at 2B, and shown that he could indeed handle SS. I don't know what the reasons where in the minors that he was switched over, but it could have been mental, he seemed to have some baggage when he was younger.

Then let the Reds worry about plugging in a 2B, which is easier than a SS, IMO.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Why did Larkin wait to announce this until Jack McKeon gave him his retirement gift, do you think? Or do you not view it that way?

I don't think most people remember stars for their last year (if it was a bad year).
    Nolan Ryan had an almost 5.00 ERA in his last season. No one remembers that.
    I have a hard time remembering the teams Steve Charlton bounced around.
    Few remember that Frank Viola played with the Reds in his twilight years.

Barry is obviously playing at a high level this year. I see nothing wrong with
    him coming back next year, particularly given the derth of talent at SS in this
    organization. And if he does have a bad year in 2005, it wouldn't change
    the great memories I have of him. More power to him.

And it's nice to see John Allen is at least being graceful publicly about it
    this time. It might be really burning him up in reality, but at least he's acting
    accomodating.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance McAlister
    You actually think there are going to be teams beating down his door throwing money at him to be their starting SS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Lance McAlister
    Juans career has been being "insurance" that's his role and given more than 300 ab's a season one can see why.

Nolan Ryan was an all-star at 42. At age 44, he logged 157.1 innings with a 3.79 ERA.

At age 42, Rickey Henderson's wheels were still good enough to swipe 25 bags in 32 attempts.

At age 40, Randy Johnson is leading the majors with 139 Ks. Roger Clemens, who turns 42 in less than a month, is 4th with 113 punchouts.

Occasionally, someone comes along & breaks the mold. Barry is one of those rare birds.

And without any heir apparent in the system, he's as good an option as any other to trot out to short on Opening Day 2005.

I say keep on keepin on.

I doubt it is bothering Allen. Larkin will make about the same as he did this year. He's probably more worried about Graves and Casey's bump for next season, and impnding raises for Dunn, LaRue, Jimenez & WMP. The million they'll give to Larkin is peanuts for his production if he can maintain it through the rest of this season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Worth The Wait

15-- the difference between Larkin and the other guys you mentioned is health. Those other players have generally stayed in the line-up from year to year. Barry is so unreliable in the injury-dept. right now. I feel like his tendons and muscles are all going to snap simultaneously one of these days. Considering our black hole at SS, and considering he's my all-time favorite Red, I would enjoy seeing him out there.

But I do fear that his return gives the FO yet another reason to delay finding a SS for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I doubt it is bothering Allen. Larkin will make about the same as he did this year. He's probably more worried about Graves and Casey's bump for next season, and impnding raises for Dunn, LaRue, Jimenez & WMP. The million they'll give to Larkin is peanuts for his production if he can maintain it through the rest of this season.
    And besides that, everyone knows that Barry wants to finish his career as a Red, and I'm sure Larkin said I'd like to come back next year to Allen when he asked him to cancel the "day" and Allen must have said we want you back as well. So I'm sure Allen already knows what it will cost to bring Barry back and is OK with it.

And I'm all for him coming back, as the Reds are a much better team this year with Barry in the lineup. He is as indispensible as anyone after the big three (Griffey, Casey and Dunn).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Another year of Larkin would be very valuable for the team, as long as they have someone who can play the other 60 games at a decent level.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 07-06-2004 at 02:55 PM.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, what Larkin's doing -- playing SS everyday at age 40 - has only been done by three others in history, Honus Wagner, Luke Appling and Ozzie Smith (and Ozzie barely qualifies on the everyday count).

It's impossible to benchmark him. What can he do? How long can he continue his current performance?

The Reds don't have a replacement for him. They'd need to go out and find one if he retired (something he never committed to in the first place). As long as he's willing to play for something like his current contract, I don't see the problem with taking the chance that he can milk another year out of his talent.

If he finally hits the wall, then that will be the end. Yet he could also go on an Applingesque run the next two years, helping the team and cementing his legend in the process. I've always been of the opinion that you have to allow the greats a chance at greatness. Only they can define it.

Larkin coming back could be a mistake or it could be one of the coolest things we ever get to see in the game of baseball. Time will tell and, personally, I'm looking forward to discovering the answer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I've heard talk of the Reds bringing Larkin back as a player/coach next season. Talk to anyone with access to the Reds' clubhouse and they'll tell you that Barry is the heart of this team. O'Brien has acknowledged the intent to return the organization to the days when there was a Reds-way to do things. They even brought back Oester for good measure. I think bringing back Larkin as a player/coach would be a brilliant, forward-thinking move for an organization not known for such recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    He's still as good a #2 hitter as there is.
    I HEART Barry Larkin as much as the next guy, but let's not get all crazy and everything.

100+Plate Appearances at the #2 slot in the order, Larkin ranks 21st in RC/27 (which equalizes PA's).

Time is the Revelator.

I'm happy. If he feels he can still continue and play at a solid - to - good level, like he is this season, then more power to him! He certainly deserves it. There is absolutely no one here who should, or has the right to tell, or suggest Barry to retire. It's his decesion, and he's done the right thing leaving it open. Sure, he hasn't been 100% healthy this season - but neither has Casey, Kearns, Griffey, LaRue, Larson, etc. .. - half our team. I appluad Larkin.

Turn Off Ads?