Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

Re: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

By the way, if the choice actually does come down to keeping Larkin or Castro, I'd keep Larkin in a heartbeat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just my take:

Career Stats:

HR: 194
    RBI: 947
    SB: 379
    BB: 926

Make that 200, 1000, 400, and 1000 and I think it will be a major push for a HOF bid. Motivation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tools of Ignorance
    Just my take:

Career Stats:

HR: 194
    RBI: 947
    SB: 379
    BB: 926

Make that 200, 1000, 400, and 1000 and I think it will be a major push for a HOF bid. Motivation?
    Yup, and plenty of it. Also within his grasp if he can play the rest of this year and all next like he has the first half of 2004 is 2,500 hits (he's 16 away from tying Concepcion, btw).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Well, he earned it.

There just aren't any shortstops in the National League doing well this year.

A really poor year for SS's in the NL.

Maybe they can change the day to the Marge Schott appreciation Day.

I don't know if you consider Wilson, Cruz, Clayton (doing better than Larkin) and Izturis doing about equal as doing well this year or not than I don't know what to say. Many others are right behind him or doing better in other categories and they have played more games than him.

I think the toughest of those numbers for Barry to get would be 400 steals. There is no reason for him to retire if he continues to play the way he has, however. He obviously still loves to play, and could be a valuable utility player next year.

I always feel better with Larkin in the lineup batting second. Anyone know what the Reds record is with Larkin at short? Just seems like we do better when he's in there. :GAC:

This news is the exact opposite of shocking.

But for all the reasons stated, it's probably good news for Barry and the organization.

And I agree that it was classy of Barry to cancel the goodbye party ahead of time.

I wonder how big a deal the press would have made of it if he'd made this announcement at the All-Star Game instead of today.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I doubt it is bothering Allen. Larkin will make about the same as he did this year. .
    \

Well, it certainly bothered both Allen and Lindner last fall. They had to get their arm twisted by Reik to get it done. Somehow, I doubt their feelings for barry have changed one bit. The issue goes beyond money, even though it shouldn't.

My speculation is that Allen and Lindner can't wait to get the outspoken captain out of there. I think it's wrong. Actions speak much louder than words.

For example, soon after (if not right after) Barry signed for 2004, he said he wouldn't rule out playing in 2005. .. Yet Allen went ahead and scheduled his retirement day anyway.

And maybe Barry waited until now to ask for the cancelation of his day because he KNEW Allen didn't want to cancel it. Now with Barry on the AS team, Allen would look pretty stupid not to go along with it.

That said, it's nice to see Allen (at least publicly) handle it with grace this time.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I agree on all counts, REDREAD.
    Makes all the routine posts.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Why did Larkin wait to announce this until Jack McKeon gave him his retirement gift, do you think? Or do you not view it that way?
    I definitely don't view it that way. I think he's doing it now because he doesn't want MLB to throw his retirement party at the All-Star game when he is considering coming back next year. In other words Barry's being thoughtful.

I hope he does come back if things go well the rest of this season. An amazing athlete!

I really hope they make him a player/coach for next year. If they do something like that then i'm absolutely thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    \

Well, it certainly bothered both Allen and Lindner last fall. They had to get their arm twisted by Reik to get it done. Somehow, I doubt their feelings for barry have changed one bit. The issue goes beyond money, even though it shouldn't.

My speculation is that Allen and Lindner can't wait to get the outspoken captain out of there. I think it's wrong. Actions speak much louder than words.

For example, soon after (if not right after) Barry signed for 2004, he said he wouldn't rule out playing in 2005. .. Yet Allen went ahead and scheduled his retirement day anyway.

And maybe Barry waited until now to ask for the cancelation of his day because he KNEW Allen didn't want to cancel it. Now with Barry on the AS team, Allen would look pretty stupid not to go along with it.

That said, it's nice to see Allen (at least publicly) handle it with grace this time.
    Look!!! Over on the grassy knoll....It's John Allen

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Larkin will regret it if he doesnt retire. ALWAYS leave when you are in the twilight of your career and still able. Otherwise he looks like a person trying to hold onto a crazed cat. Eventually, you will look like a boob and the last thing they remember of you was your pathetic attempts to hold onto something too long.
    We might regret seeing Larkin as a shell of his former self at the time, but as soon as he hangs 'em up, we'll forget all that, just as the fact that Michael Jordan ever suited up for the Washington Wizards is already vanishing from our collective memory.

Babe Ruth. Willie Mays. Henry Aaron. Etc. Etc. Most of the game's greats hung on past the point of being great, or even good. Johnny Bench's last three years were spent as a mediocre corner infielder. In the hindsight of history, who really cares? Some people are able to step away on a high note, others will hang on until they can't find anyone willing to give them a uniform to wear, and it really doesn't make any difference in the end. Whatever Barry wants to do is fine with me. (Which is not the same as saying the Reds have an obligation to accommodate him.)

At 1st I was upset as I was going to the game in hopes of seeing his last 2 games ever which I probably won't do next season, but I love Barry and having him around is not a bad thing and I can't blame him seeing what he is doing and the lack of SS to start he sees an opportunity to make sure he makes the HOF which I think at this point is a big deal to him. The player/coach idea is interesting, but I don't think they will do that.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

This news has absolutley made my day... :biglaugh:

Turn Off Ads?