Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

Re: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

:larkin:

Wow, first I meet him, then he's named to the All-Star team, and then this announcement is made!! My plan to take over the world seems to be working quite well.... :MandJ: :
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

I would love to meet Larkin, unfortunatley, the only players I ever met were Rob Dibble, and Tom Browning, not that they were bad players or anything, it just that I was so young I can barely remember it!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I have no problem if Larkin wants to come back again....he's still our best option at SS

It wouldn't have to cost us Castro, he can be our 3rd baseman until EE is ready and by that time, Larkin will most likely be retired and then Castro can be the shortstop, assuming he stays healthy.

It shouldn't cost us Castro money-wise either because the increased attendence should lead to increased revenues (according to John Allen), which should allow an increased payroll (according to John Allen), not to mention, the payroll flexibility that the Reds now have (according to John Allen) after last season's salary dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    Reds 2011 opening day line-up:

Jose Gonzalez 2B
    Eddie Johnson CF
    Edwin Encarnacion 3B
    John Phillips RF
    Victor Hernandez C
    Jung Seop-Yu LF
    Bubba Jackson 1B
    Barry Larkin SS
    LOL.. Good one Ed!!!

:GAC:

Worth The Wait

Like 45 posts later....someone got it!

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Larkin will regret it if he doesnt retire. ALWAYS leave when you are in the twilight of your career and still able. Otherwise he looks like a person trying to hold onto a crazed cat. Eventually, you will look like a boob and the last thing they remember of you was your pathetic attempts to hold onto something too long.

Barry, PLEASE don't go pulling any Rickey Henderson kind of stunts. Cincinnati loves ya bud, but when it's time to hang it up, it's time to hang it up.

Please not another multi-year deal for Castro. If another team wants to give him one, let him walk. Please, with sugar on top?

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Im against losing castro, I see castro as our third basemen of NOW.
    You cant ask for better defensive performance, and his offense has blossomed. Im am ready to give up on Larson.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, what Larkin's doing -- playing SS everyday at age 40 - has only been done by three others in history, Honus Wagner, Luke Appling and Ozzie Smith (and Ozzie barely qualifies on the everyday count).

It's impossible to benchmark him. What can he do? How long can he continue his current performance?

The Reds don't have a replacement for him. They'd need to go out and find one if he retired (something he never committed to in the first place). As long as he's willing to play for something like his current contract, I don't see the problem with taking the chance that he can milk another year out of his talent.

If he finally hits the wall, then that will be the end. Yet he could also go on an Applingesque run the next two years, helping the team and cementing his legend in the process. I've always been of the opinion that you have to allow the greats a chance at greatness. Only they can define it.

Larkin coming back could be a mistake or it could be one of the coolest things we ever get to see in the game of baseball. Time will tell and, personally, I'm looking forward to discovering the answer.
    Great post, M2 and my sentiments exactly, except that I don't think it really could be a "mistake" either for him or the Reds unless they pay him too much money.

I love to see the greats go down with a fight like some that were mentioned above, like Jimmy Connors, and others. I much prefer that to seeing the Sanders, the Jordans, and the Borgs quitting while they still have so much to give and show.

If Barry's star is diminished by coming back in any eye, then that is a problem with the observer and not the player.

With Barry, I think what this year has shown is how much his injuries have held him back over the last 5 or 6 years. If he stays healthy, I think he could easily have 2 or 3 more years left in him.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    Im against losing castro, I see castro as our third basemen of NOW.
    You cant ask for better defensive performance, and his offense has blossomed. .
    "Bolssomed"?

32 year old players with career OPSes an eyelash over .600 don't "blossom". They have career years. Last year everyone was saying how much Castro had improved at the plate. He still got on base less then 30% (290 OBP)of the time, in his "career year". He's at .330 OBP this year, which is so far over his career norms, that I'd be looking to put the Vodoo Priest that put the spell on his bat on the payroll for the rest of the team.

Actually the FO ought to love this move by Larkin. His retirement game has to be about sold out, and now whenever he does it for real, another game will sell out. Two sold out games are better than one anytime.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Why did Larkin wait to announce this until Jack McKeon gave him his retirement gift, do you think? Or do you not view it that way?
    I thought it was a retirement gift, too. Then I looked up all the other National League shortstops and he's had the second best season next to Jack Wilson. He earned this All-Star appearance.

On the topic of Larkin's replacement...we could potentially find ourselves in a good position, IF the FO cooperates.

Edwin Encarnacion can play either 3B or SS. So, he could end up being our future SS. But that would leave a whole at 3B, right?

Well, Troy Glaus (okay, no real shot) and Corey Koskie (definitely a possibility) are FAs at the end of the season. I don't see why we can't sign either of them to play 3rd, have Larkin play SS meanwhile let Encarnacion get more grooming in AAA next season. What do y'all think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by guernsey
    Actually the FO ought to love this move by Larkin. His retirement game has to be about sold out, and now whenever he does it for real, another game will sell out. Two sold out games are better than one anytime.
    Quit throwing cold water on the conspiracy theories, guernsey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    I thought it was a retirement gift, too. Then I looked up all the other National League shortstops and he's had the second best season next to Jack Wilson. He earned this All-Star appearance.
    Which stats did you use?

Runs Created, Larkin ranks 11th
    RC/27, Larkin ranks 9th

OBP, Larkin ranks 5th
    SLG, Larkin ranks 4th
    OPS, Larkin ranks 3rd (After Wilson and Royce Clayton(!))

It was a retirement gift, which I have ZERO problem with. He's earned it for his career.

Turn Off Ads?