Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

Re: Larkin: Cancel My Retirement Ceremony

We have just witnessed John Allen's worst nightmare:
    I just hope, no i PRAY, that if Barry decides to play another year he and the Reds front-office boneheads hammer out a contract extension beforehand. I cant bear the thought of another year of Barry bellyaching about not being appreciated and going elsewhere, and John Allen's lousy PR skills displayed all over the place. And i am a HUGE Barry fan, all the way back to the middle infield wars with Kurt Stillwell. But this happens every year, and if both parties havent figured out a better way to handle this they should be forced to wear baby diapers when they appear in public.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think he earned it regardless if he retires or not....stats don't tell the whole story

He should be comeback player of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I think he earned it regardless if he retires or not....stats don't tell the whole story

He should be comeback player of the year...
    He's not even comeback player of the year for the Reds, that would be either Casey or that guy that plays CF.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    He's not even comeback player of the year for the Reds, that would be either Casey or that guy that plays CF.
    I can see the debate there, moreso with Griffey just because most people pretty much thought he was done (not the REAL fans, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I can see the debate there, moreso with Griffey just because most people pretty much thought he was done (not the REAL fans, of course).
    Casey was the 114th best (using RC/27) offensive player in the majors last year. He's jumped up to 11 for this year. He is SO the comeback player of the year.

I think I heard the Reds will give refunds for that Barry Larkin Day game.

Also, if Barry plays one more year with the Reds he'll break the record for most seasons with the Reds, which he is currently tied w/ Pete and Concepcion for (Not positive, but pretty sure this is true). Plus he may also pass some other Reds records by playing one more year with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchD1

Also, if Barry plays one more year with the Reds he'll break the record for most seasons with the Reds, which he is currently tied w/ Pete and Concepcion for (Not positive, but pretty sure this is true). Plus he may also pass some other Reds records by playing one more year with them.
    Bid McPhee and Concepcion

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchD1
    IMHO, it would be better if they'd just change the occasion to "Danny Graves Retirement Day." :mhcky21:
    /r/reds

Why dont they just change it to 'Davey Concepcion's #13 Number Retirement Party'?

Quote Originally Posted by BallBuster
    Why dont they just change it to 'Davey Concepcion's #13 Number Retirement Party'?
    Now that's the best idea I've heard all day!

I'm thrilled that Barry is looking at coming back next year. I've pushed the idea since ST. Now, I just hope that injuries or a poor performance in the second half don't ruin the party.

And I don't think that this is, as some have suggested, John Allen's worst nightmare. Barry will play for about the same salary as this year. A Reds Star will return for another year. Fans will come to see him strive to break (team) records. Mom & Dad can take the kids to see, for one last time, the greatest SS ever to wear the 'Wishbone C'. All good things from John Allen's perspective.

As Redread said, it's nice to see Allen handling this well. But, it's also important to note that Barry is handling it well also. This quiet, subtle approach seems to have circumvented any public posturing between the two and, IMO, that was the biggest problem last year.

And, after all, who's to say that Barry won't out-Luke Appling, Luke Appling? Until ya' try it, there's just no way to know.

Thanks, Barry!

Rem

Excellent idea, BB!

Rem

The only thing I am curious to see is if Barry decides to come back how much money he will be asking for. You have to remember he is an "ICON" in Cincinnati and he needs to be treated like such so that on top of the fact that he is having a solid year and staying healthy I just wonder how much he will want.

If he wants anymore than what we are paying him this year (and I think he will) I say go try to find it elsewhere.

I think this is absolutely wonderful news. Made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Which stats did you use?

Runs Created, Larkin ranks 11th
    RC/27, Larkin ranks 9th

OBP, Larkin ranks 5th
    SLG, Larkin ranks 4th
    OPS, Larkin ranks 3rd (After Wilson and Royce Clayton(!))

It was a retirement gift, which I have ZERO problem with. He's earned it for his career.
    I find the Sagarin ratings to be the most accurate, plus Larkin adds intangibles that Clayton and others could only dream of that ends up producing wins.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nlb04.htm

Turn Off Ads?