Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 3955 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061671071575571057 ... LastLast

Thread: Be the last person to post on this thread

Re: Be the last person to post on this thread

Nice work Puffy, if I had found you in my car I would have shot you :mhcky21:

Patients with hangovers show changes in the blood levels of several hormones, which are often responsible for some of the hangover symptoms. For example, alcohol inhibits antidiuretic hormone, which leads to excessive urination and dehydration. Dehydration accentuates the symptoms of a hangover. Other factors that contribute to an alcohol hangover include consumption of larger quantities of alcohol than the person can tolerate. Individuals who drink alcohol rapidly, or without food, or without diluting it with nonalcoholic beverages, are more prone to developing a hangover. Mixing different alcoholic drinks can also cause a hangover. Additionally, smoking, loud music, flashing lights and decreased quality and quantity of sleep can exacerbate hangover headaches.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

hangovers stink!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

A scent or odor is a chemical or mixture of chemicals that can be detected by smell or physical contact. We are 10,000 times more sensitive to smells than taste. Humans can detect thousands of different odors because they possess about 10 million receptors for these chemicals in the olfactory lining of the nose. Dogs have 200 million! Everything from the thousands of varieties of perfumes and the smell of fresh mown grass to road kill on a hot summer’s day and a skunk’s spray can be detected by these olfactory receptors. Organisms produce these chemicals for a wide variety of reasons–some are known as pheromones like musk to attract members of the opposite sex for mating. Migrating salmon can "smell" the stream they hatched in from the ocean. Plants produce compounds to attract insect pollinators. Not all are perceived by humans as "pleasant"–the world’s largest flower (2 meters wide) produced by the tropical Titan arum plant smells like decaying flesh to attract pollinating flesh flies. Predators will remember to avoid skunks on their menu once they have been sprayed. Why these smells are generally perceived as "bad" and others are pleasant is probably the way this information is perceived by the brain. It is not well understood but varies among organisms. The smell of rotting meat or vegetables has probably been associated with the health risks of eating them since man’s early history.
    Go Gators!

Ok, now your just trying to take over the word count lead, and thats just evil. You already have an almost insurmountable lead in the post count and now you wanna take away my verbiage award - thats wrong!

Well, I'll have none of that! I have plenty of time and lots of useless stories, so bring it on Der Onork :mhcky21:
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

The polar bear's white fur helps camouflage it in it's polar environment. They have two layers of fur, a soft under coat and an outer coat of guard hairs. The guard hairs are hollow and help the polar bear float! Male polar bears are larger than females. They can weigh as much as 1,600 pounds. The polar bear has fur on the soles of its feet that helps protect them from the cold and ice and prevents them from sliding on the ice. They also have some webbing between their toes that help them paddle in the water. They have long necks and small heads. Their long neck helps them keep their heads above water when they are swimming.
    Go Gators!

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

A snail can sleep for three years.

All polar bears are left-handed.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you will have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

Marilyn Monroe had six toes on one foot.

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.

Shakespeare invented the word 'assassination' and 'bump'.

Some lions mate over 50 times a day.

Starfish don't have brains.

The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

There are many differences between leopards, jaguars, and other spotted cats. One of the biggest is their fur pattern. There are many variations. A leopard's spots are broken-up circles. They may look similar to those of the jaguar, but most of the jaguar's spots hace one or more dot's inside. The panther has spots just like the leopard's only they are all black. A panther IS a leopard. A clouded leopard has large spots that are filled with dot's. A cheetah on the other hand is entirely coved with solid, filled-in dots! There are many other cats with fur variations, but these are the most well-known, and the most commonly missed!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

I take it they are assuming that the single file line is boy-girl, boy-girl :mhcky21:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
    Poor things

How can you tell the difference between alligators and crocodiles?
    American crocodiles can be distinguished from American alligators by their longer, more narrow snouts; and by their lower teeth, which are visible even when the crocodile's mouth is closed.
    Go Gators!

How can you tell the difference between a female and a female impersonator - the female impersonator has an adam's apple and bigger hands.

Boy did I find that out the hard way!
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Do you know the human head weighs 8 lbs.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Do you know the human head weighs 8 lbs.?
    Do you know what else weighs 8 lbs - - 8 lbs weights at the gym. Coincedence? I think not.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Here we come, walking down the street, we get the funniest looks from, everyone we meet.

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees, and people say we monkey around, but we're too busy singing, to put anybody down.

We're just trying to be friendly, so come and watch us sing and play, we're the young generation, and we've got something to say

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Eyebrows are a very significant aspect of our appearance. They are one of the most distinctive features that make up our faces, and we pay a lot of attention to them. We think of some types of eyebrows as attractive and some as unattractive, and many people spend as much time preening their eyebrows as they do applying makeup to their eyelashes or lips. Eyebrows are also one of our most expressive facial features. One of the clearest ways to tell somebody what you're thinking is to simply move your eyebrows up or down -- we all know what different eyebrow positions mean.
    So, eyebrows obviously serve a lot of functions in our culture today -- beauty, nonverbal communication, distinctive appearance. But why are they there in the first place? As we evolved and lost most of the thick hair on our bodies, why did we keep that little bit over the eyes?

Scientists aren't entirely sure why we kept this hair, but they have a pretty good guess. We know that eyebrows help keep moisture out of our eyes when we sweat or walk around in the rain. The arch shape diverts the rain or sweat around to the sides of our face, keeping our eyes relatively dry. The most obvious advantage of this is that it lets us see clearly when we're sweating a lot or out in the rain. Without eyebrows, getting around in these conditions is a little more difficult. The shape of your brow itself diverts a certain amount of moisture, but eyebrows make a significant difference in your ability to see. Diverting the sweat away is also good because the salt in sweat irritates the eyes, making them sting a little.

There are a number of ways these qualities might have helped early man survive. Being able to see more clearly in the rain could certainly help you find shelter, and there are several circumstances when keeping the sweat out of your eyes could save your life. If you were trying to outrun a predator, for example, it's a good bet there would be a lot sweat running down your face. If all that sweat flowed right down into your eyes, you wouldn't be able to see that well, and your eyes would be irritated, which would certainly impair your ability to escape! Because of this slight survival advantage, nature would most likely select for humans with eyebrows over humans without eyebrows.
    Go Gators!

Last edited by westofyou; 07-28-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Turn Off Ads?