Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 3955 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733731235231023 ... LastLast

Thread: Be the last person to post on this thread

Re: Be the last person to post on this thread

St. Patrick's Day (March 17) is the formal national holiday on which Ireland celebrates its patron saint, St. Patrick.

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated worldwide by the Irish and those of Irish descent. A major parade takes place in Dublin and in most other Irish towns and villages. Parades take place in other centres, London, Paris, Rome, Moscow, Beijing, Hong Kong, Singapore and throughout the Americas. The first civic and public celebrations of St. Patrick's Day in the American Colonies took place in Boston in 1737. The first St. Patrick's Day celebrated in New York City was held at the Crown and Thistle Tavern on March 17, 1756. Since then the New York celebration has become the largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the world (see external link). The parade dates back to 1762, and in 2003 more than 150,000 marchers (bands, military and police groups, county associations, emigrant societies, social and cultural clubs etc.) participated. It has however been dogged with controversy in recent years; its organisers banned Irish gays and lesbians from marching as a group - an act which has led to calls in Ireland (which, since 1992 has some of the most liberal gay laws in the world) for its boycotting. On occasion the Ancient order of hibernians has appointed controversial Irish Republican figures (some of whom were barred from the US) to be its Grand Marshal. The longest running St. Patrick's Day parade in Canada takes place in Montreal. The 2003 parade was the 179th - the first Montreal parade taking place in 1824. Paradoxically, St. Patrick's Day parades in Ireland date from the late 19th century, originating in the growing sense of nationalism of the period. Some US cities also paint the traffic stripe of their parade routes green; other US cities, including Chicago, also dye their main rivers 'green', an act that most native Irish people find bizarre.

Since the 1980s, Irish taoisigh (prime ministers) have attended special functions either on St. Patrick's Day or a day or two earlier, in the White House, where they present shamrock to the President of the United States. A similar presentation is made to the Speaker of the House. Originally only representatives of the Republic of Ireland attended, but since the mid - 1990s all major Irish political parties from north and south are invited, with the attendance including the representatives of the Irish government, the Ulster Unionists, the Social Democratic and Labour Party, Sinn Féin and others. In recent years it is common for the entire Irish Government to be abroad representing the country in various parts of the world. In 2003, the President of Ireland celebrated the holiday in Sydney, the Taoiseach (Prime Minister) was in Washington, while other Irish government members attended ceremonies in New York, Boston, San Francisco, San Jose, Savannah, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Diego, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Africa, Korea, Japan and Brazil.

In Britain, the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother used to present bowls of shamrock specially flown over from Ireland to members of the Irish Guards, a regiment in the British Army made up of Irish people from both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

In many parts of the United States and Australia, expatriate Irish, those of Irish descent, and ever-growing crowds of people with no Irish connections but who proclaim themselves 'Irish for a day' also celebrate St. Patrick's Day, usually by consuming large quantities of Irish beer (sometimes dyed green as well), such as Murphys, Smithwicks, Harp or Guinness or other Irish liquors such as Irish whiskey, Irish Coffee or Baileys Irish Cream, and listening to Irish folk music. (Former New York mayor Ed Koch once proclaimed himself 'Ed O'Koch' for the day!)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Ethan said, "I hate baseball."

If you are bilinguil what language do you dream in?
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

George Clooney was the voice of Sparky the gay dog on an episode of South Park, uttering such classic lines as "bark" and "woof"
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

La Dolce Vita

"The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call "out there." "

The most pizza I ever ate in one sitting was 5 slices. My goal is to be able to eat a whole pie one day.

I plan to get married first though, so I can get fat and not have to worry about impressing chicks
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

I am soooo tempted to just post something to this thread and close it. :mhcky21:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

i won't be last. just a hunch. and since i am never wrong it will have to be closed to prove me wrong.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Cruisin' for trouble

"If you ain't where you're at, you're no place." - Colonel Potter

see? i am never wrong. it's a curse.
    Suck it up cupcake.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I am soooo tempted to just post something to this thread and close it. :mhcky21:
    We covered that on the first page. :mhcky21:

If you really want wreak some havoc, merge it with that thread on Ali at the ASG!
    /r/reds

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyvilleRed
    Have you seen the 1935 movie with Ronald Colman?

No, I haven't. Is this one I should watch for on the movie channels?

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    "The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call "out there." "
    I'm assuming no one answered this. It's the first line from 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote.

This flick was on the tube the other night. Wow, these guys were killers from hell, weren't they?

Yes they were
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?