Turn Off Ads?
Page 3904 of 3955 FirstFirst ... 2904340438043854389439003901390239033904390539063907390839143954 ... LastLast
Results 58,546 to 58,560 of 59313

Thread: Be the last person to post on this thread

Re: Be the last person to post on this thread

Also, MWM..... what would statistics tell you about the success of marriages in that 21 and under age group?

:mhcky21:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    And you, sir, are the exception, not the rule.
    I always knew I was an exception and I wouldn't recommend early marriage as a rule. But I did want to point out that not marrying young as a rule isn't always the right thing either. Each situation is different.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Dude, you took a hit on 18 and drew a 3.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

MWM.... I'm very happy for you and your wife. That's wonderful.

BUT... Here's the deal... My heart is shattered into a million pieces by this. This is four and a half years of best friendness and pure adoration down the drain. This is the guy I compare every other guy to. This is the guy who, besides Barry Larkin, pretty much pulled me through the hardest times of my life. In all honesty, when I look into my future, I never really see much. Except for the hope that this guy will be there. But not even that anymore.

I should've known it was coming. For some reason, he's always liked having his heart stomped on by her, and I know he'll put up with pretty much anything from that girl. However, I really wasn't expecting it so soon.
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Also, MWM..... what would statistics tell you about the success of marriages in that 21 and under age group?
    Stats don't tell the whole story. :mhcky21: (Gawd, I've always wanted to say that). I'm a "clutch" husband.

Actually, I'm very aware of the statistics. Most people aren't ready to get married at that age. It has to be something that BOTH partners want beyond a shadow of a doubt. I think most of the time, they don't really "WANT" it, but feel like they have to. Too often they end up getting married for the wrong reasons. You have to be completely willing to give up the single lifestyle and too many kid themselves into thinking they can do it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

SB, I know this sounds terrible, and I apologize for being so cynical, but there's a very good chance that guy will be available again in a few years, much wiser and more mature.

And you'll have a much better idea by then what you really need in a man.

MWM, you ARE a clutch husband!!!!!

We're making such progress here tonight!!!!

SB, I know this sounds terrible, and I apologize for being so cynical, but there's a very good chance that guy will be available again in a few years, much wiser and more mature.

And you'll have a much better idea by then what you really need in a man.
    Actually, that's exactly what my dad said!! :MandJ: He's a teacher at my old HS, so he knows these kids. I hate to be so dramatic about everything (it seems like lately all I do is complain), but this is pretty tough for me to swallow.
    BARRY LARKIN

I'm never getting married.

Just sayin'
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    I'm never getting married.

Just sayin'
    Me neither!! Look at my parents!! :thumbdown You can't trust anyone!!

What if it's hereditary!!
    BARRY LARKIN

Thing is, I don't consider it luck at all for us. We were both committed to marriage at that time. It's gone about as I thought it would. There was never a single instance where the thought even crossed our minds that us getting married when we got married wasn't the right thing to do. I don't think we're lucky, I think we were right for each other and did the right thing.

But I'm also wise enough to know that in almost all cases of people that young, it ISN'T the right thing to do. But if I had bought into the idea that I shouldn't consider marriage because I was too young, then that would have been a mistake in my situation and I would have been denied years of a great relationship with a wonderful partner. Honestly, my wife and I have had a lot of fun together. Since getting married I never thought I would being having more fun single. Different people have different ideas of what "fun" means.

SHUT UP, MWM!!!

(just kidding... I'm just bitter)
    BARRY LARKIN

I got married at 19 and divorced at 22. We had all the same certainty. We both continued to change after we got married, and I can only speak for myself, but I was a completely different person at 25 than I was at 21.

I know everyone is different, and I'm really complimenting you on your emotional and mental stability that you and your wife must have had. I know I sure didn't.

OK, I'm out of here. 24 is coming on in 5 minutes.

I got married at age 26, and have been happily married for 23 years. It's not alwys been bliss, but I dont regret it one bit. Marriage is something that has to be worked on. IMO, some give up on it too easily. Maybe their expectation s are too high... or too low. That I don't know.

There had been times within our marriage when either of us were "tempted" to give up on it. That is always the "easy out". And when I examined the motives behind my thoughts during those times, it always brought me back to one thought...selfishness. It was always about what I wanted. And when one lets those feelings dominate their attitude towards marriage, then it's most likely doomed to fail.

And then, I think abut my three kids. My wife and kids are what is important to me in this life. Even with all our "thorns" and issues (two of my kids are now teenagers )... I wouldn't have it any other way. I couldn't imagine being without them.

MWM mentioned the key word... COMMITMENT. I think many today do not grasp or fully understand what that commitment involves.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-07-2005 at 09:07 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I got married at 36, lived with her for 7 years after going out with her for 5, which means I met her when I was 24, when I was 24 I was never going to get married......never, ever, ever.

Turn Off Ads?