Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

Re: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

Dayn Perry's (TSN) 2009 NL All-Stars:

OF— Adam Dunn, Reds, Age: 29
    Dunn may not be the type of player who ages terribly well, but in 2009 he should still be one of the league's deadliest hitters. Critics of Dunn get overly tangled up in his low batting averages and gaudy strikeout totals. But he's good for 100-plus walks a year (he's on pace for 125 this season), and he hits for tremendous power. Throw in an underrated corner glove, and you've got a heck of a ballplayer. He'll win a couple of home run titles before he's done.
    No, niether Austin Kearns nor WMP made the list.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I can see DO seeing what he can get for him but the return better be much better than what Pirates got for Giles. Which was two ML ready potental stars including maybe the best young starting pitcher in the MLB.

Worth The Wait

Dunn needs to keep working, keep improving his weaknesses, but overall, the guy is a super talent. I am still in the club that believes he strikes out too much-- I'd like to see him cut down his whiffs at least a decent percentage. He's so strong that if he can figure out a way to make contact more often, good things are bound to happen.

But I love the fact that he draws walks and scores runs. I love the fact that pitcher's dance around him in a tight spot. I love the fact that he has the ability to go deep in any at bat.

The stat they showed the other night was alarming: Dunn has failed to score a runner from third w/ less than 2 out 20 of 26 times this year. His RBI totals are still a bit low. I understand the counter arguement to that-- that he isn't getting a ton of chances and/or is still getting on base in those situations. But he may need to swing at a hittable ball even if it's a tad out of the zone on occasion.

Those are fairly mild criticims though. Dunn needs to work hard in the off-season, work on his game, and slowly, he'll get better and better. Cut down his K's by 15%, make contact more consistently, and maybe look to be more agressive w/ RISP. That's where I think Dunn needs to improve. But overall, he has progressed nicely. He's a keeper...............

unless the right pitcher is offered. I'd trade ANYONE for a legit flamethrower. Anyone. This has got to stop. If it means cutting off our nose to spite our face, I'm willing to try it anyway.

I thought that you were suppose to trade them when their value was high, won't Willy Mo make Dunn expendable in another year? Perhaps they could package him with Graves and get something the Reds really need a pitcher.

So what team is Sean going to this week? Dunn,WMP and Kearns may be the next great slugging trio.

Get rid of while the value is high ... I think you meant Sean Casey.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I trade the whole team away before I trade Dunn.

If the future is not now, then if and when the Reds' future comes to fruition, it will have to be today's 20-something year olds that constitute that optimal team we are hoping for.

Therefore, it should be tha elder statesmen -- not Dunn, Kearns, Pena, etc. -- who get traded for prospects or even younger (can we dare hope) impact players.

Theoretically that means Larkin should be the first go, but realistically that's not going to happen, so who's next? Jones, Casey, Graves, etc.

Every trade obviously also entails consideration as to who (from within the organization or without) can replace the exiting player and at what yearly salary price. But, all else being equal, the older guy should go.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Nah..... it a lefty commie rag with destruction of all things on its agenda.
    :GAC:

Oh my goodness.

Is there like an Adam Dunn discussion quota that this board has to hit every day or something?

How about if you consider that Adam Dunn will continue to improve for the next few years?

How about we consider how much better a hitter he is this year than he was last year, and how young he is?

How about we imagine how good he might become if he continues on his current trend?

Man, I'm tired of hearing Dunn get knocked. In spite of the fact that he's one of the most dominating offensive forces in baseball, he's a freakin' baby in terms of experience.

He's already a stud, and he's only going to get better.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Yeah, I'm all for getting rid of Dunn.

The last thing in the world the Reds need is a guy who can hit anywhere from 30-50 bombs a season and gets on base 40% of the time.

This thread simply amazes me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

And the week is complete..a little Dunn bashing on top of it all

I really think some of you will get your wish, Dunn will get a big raise this off season and then a ticket out of town, won't the Reds be SO much better off then... :mad:
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?