Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

Re: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

I think one reason Dunn's name gets brought up so much is that he isn't like other players and that makes people uncomfortable.

We keep wanting to compare him to other players and it keeps coming around that he just doesn't compare all that well. Adam is just... Adam.

From Base Prospectus a week or so back...

"Perhaps most interesting for statheads--if frightening for Cincinnati faithful--is Dunn's low, low similarity index of 18. According to the BP Glossary, "a player with a score of 20 or lower is historically unusual," which, of course, most of us already figured out when the 6'6", 240-lb Dunn stole 19 bases in 2002. In another couple of weeks, Dunn will eclipse the 100-homer mark. At the age of 24."

And

"Similarity Index is a composite of the similarity scores of all of a player's comparables. Similarity index is an gauge of the player's historical uniqueness; a player with a score of 50 or higher has a very common typology, while a player with a score of 20 or lower is historically unusual"
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    "Similarity Index is a composite of the similarity scores of all of a player's comparables. Similarity index is an gauge of the player's historical uniqueness; a player with a score of 50 or higher has a very common typology, while a player with a score of 20 or lower is historically unusual"
    WHen I read that article last week I was amazed. His closest PECOTA comps are Glaus, McGriff and Thome. Pretty good company. However, none of them are that similar. Dunn is an anomaly.

What does that mean for the future? The answer is that nobody really knows, they can only guess. It might be fun to be along for the ride.

Dunn is an anomaly
    He's everything that Dave Nicholson hoped to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    We'll have the greatest outfield in the history of baseball. 135 HR's
    Sounds good to me
    Go Gators!

We'll have the greatest outfield in the history of baseball. 135 HR's
    61 Yankees had 137.

I think one reason Dunn's name gets brought up so much is that he isn't like other players and that makes people uncomfortable.
    Which brings to mind that "True Outcomes" article someone posted a few months back. IIRC, basically, when Adam comes up to bat, the fielders become pretty irrelevant -- his rate of HR, Walks, and Ks (the "true outcomes") are historic.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by nottelling
    BTW, according to espn.com/mlb/bbtn/index?new (or s/t to that effect...) Dunn is major league leader in homers in "late and tight situations"
    I'm just waiting for someone to chime that he leads the majors in meaningless homers too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm just waiting for someone to chime that he leads the majors in meaningless homers too.
    Paging MWM. MWM, you're wanted on the white courtesy phone.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Paging MWM. MWM, you're wanted on the white courtesy phone.
    Except he'd be saying it with the appropriate dosage of sarcasm attached.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    i did that already

i forgot which thread abotu his homers, i said something that i think he probably holds the record for most homers with least Ribbies :MandJ:

i did that already

i forgot which thread abotu his homers, i said something that i think he probably holds the record for most homers with least Ribbies :MandJ:

Bonds hold that record

Barry Bonds 2000 49 106

yeah, but percentage wise. naturally bonds would hold that record since he has about 500 more homers than dunn...

yeah, but percentage wise. naturally bonds would hold that record since he has about 500 more homers than dunn...
    Prior to this year he was at 23.7% of his RBI's were from HR's

Worse I can find was Bo Jackson at 29% then Balboni and then Kittle.

Can we figure out homeruns to RBIs from homeruns? Meaning: Who has the most homeruns with the least amount of ribbies resulting from those homers?

Can we figure out homeruns to RBIs from homeruns? Meaning: Who has the most homeruns with the least amount of ribbies resulting from those homers?
    McGwire 41.2% 0f his RBI's were from HR's the least is Cap Anson with 5% and then Cobb with 6%

Turn Off Ads?