Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

Re: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

So, who would you deal......Casey or Dunn?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    So, who would you deal......Casey or Dunn?
    Let me see.

1) 30 year old 1B with an expensive contract and a bad injury history having a career season

or

2) 24 year old inexpensive OF whose closest PECOTA comparables are Jim THome and Fred Mcgriff(albeit a low correllation, Dunn is a bit of a historical anomaly).

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Let me see.

1) 30 year old 1B with an expensive contract and a bad injury history having a career season

or

2) 24 year old inexpensive OF whose closest PECOTA comparables are Jim THome and Fred Mcgriff(albeit a low correllation, Dunn is a bit of a historical anomaly).
    Which player will get you more in a trade? Look at things objectively and from the point of view of another team. Casey is no doubt having a great season so far. However, he's being paid almost $15M over the next two seasons and it's fairly likely that his option will be vested by next season. That's another $7-8M he'll be owed. In this day and age of clubs looking to get more value for their dollar, Casey may not be seen as a player that would fit that criteria. If Atlanta were inclined to increase payroll they might want him at 1st for them. But they won the division last year with a combination of Julio Franco and Robert Fick and this season they are in 1st place with Franco and a couple of other players manning 1st. It might be nice to have him but they sure don't need him.

Dunn is going to be cheap for another couple of years and he has great power. As noted he's one of the top 10 offensive players in the NL even though he strikes out a ton. Other GMs - especially the Moneyball boys - are going to salivate at the prospect of getting him.

I don't want to trade either player but if you're talking about maximizing return, Dunn is more valuable than Casey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I don't want to trade either player but if you're talking about maximizing return, Dunn is more valuable than Casey.
    Dunn is more valuable in a trade that Casey. We all agree on that.

However, that is the wrong question. The question is who is it easier to get equal value in return? If we trade Dunn we will aren unlikely to get equal value, it is as simple as that. If we deal Dunn we will most likely get a couple of pitching prospects(who might turn out to be more like suspects) and spend the next 10 years regretting the day we traded the 500 HR guy for a couple of nobodys.

I seriously doubt dealing Casey will come back to bite us in the a$$ but trading Dunn could for the next 10 years. We won't get as much for Casey but that is just the way it is. Casey is a high injury risk like Jr and I would prefer somebody else take the risk.

The days of Dunn being cheap are over as well. I would think he might make ~$3M next year as he is arbitration eligible.

Let someone else pay Sean $15M for the next 2 years and take the injury risk. His value will never be higher than right now and the future seems more likely to hold the 2001-2003 seasons rather than the 2004 season.

In this day and age of clubs looking to get more value for their dollar, Casey may not be seen as a player that would fit that criteria. If Atlanta were inclined to increase payroll they might want him at 1st for them. But they won the division last year with a combination of Julio Franco and Robert Fick and this season they are in 1st place with Franco and a couple of other players manning 1st. It might be nice to have him but they sure don't need him.
    I heard rumors (on BBTN perhaps?) that Atlanta is looking for a 1st baseman, and that they could "get creative" and find a way to take on some payroll. How much payroll, I have no idea, but when I heard the rumor I immediately started thinking "Does Atlanta have anything we'd want?"

Plus, just think: Casey could be reunited with Reitsma!

Can we have Furcal for Casey...please?
    Go Gators!

I have no idea why they would get rid rid of Casey, Casey would probally take a paycut to play here just like Wilson said that he would
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    I heard rumors (on BBTN perhaps?) that Atlanta is looking for a 1st baseman, and that they could "get creative" and find a way to take on some payroll. How much payroll, I have no idea, but when I heard the rumor I immediately started thinking "Does Atlanta have anything we'd want?"
    deR onorK mentioned Furcal for Casey. That could be interesting to me.

Plus, just think: Casey could be reunited with Reitsma!
    Hugs all around!!!
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Here's our vocab. word for the day, inspired by our thread starter, ifreelgood.

OBSCURANTISM: Dictionary Entry and Meaning
    Pronunciation: ub'skyûrun`tizum

Matching Terms: obscurantist

WordNet Dictionary

Definition:

1. [n] a deliberate act intended to make something obscure
    2. [n] a policy of opposition to enlightenment or the spread of knowledge

See Also: deceit, deception, dissembling, dissimulation, policy

How long before Adam Dunn decides to sell the Reds low?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    How long before Adam Dunn decides to sell the Reds low?
    Dunn owns the Reds?
    Go Gators!

ifreelgood

Ummmm....if we are going to put WMP down for dropping a flyball the other night......You must give him props for that catch tonight. Robbing Pujols of a HR. What was even more impressive was his throw into 2b after the catch.

Pucker up, Buttercup

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I agree and disagree. I don't think Adam Dunn will ever hit more than 30 homeruns in a year. This year, he has 26 now and if he gets to the 30 mark, I'll kiss Boss' feet in front of Great American Ball Park.
    Get those feet nice and clean, Boss.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: Pucker up, Buttercup

You beat me to it

Re: Pucker up, Buttercup

Chip, remember the Bret Hart-Jerry Lawler thing like this?

Turn Off Ads?