Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

Re: Get rid of Adam Dunn while is value is high

Dunn could finish this season with 45 HR, 110 BI, a .280+ BA and an OPS of 1.000+ and people would still carp and moan about him while tossing bouquets at the Juan Castros of the world (for their hitting no less). Strikeouts freak a lot of people out and they just can't get past it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pucker up, Buttercup

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog

Chip, remember the Bret Hart-Jerry Lawler thing like this?
    Yeah. You going to get your feet all smelly and gross and disgusting too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I was one who was down on Adam Dunn last year, and I have to admit, I was wrong. He has continued to improve over every year. I am very pleased with how much he has improved just this year alone. And I can see that there is a very strong possibility that he will continue to improve over each year.

It sure would be nice to see what kind of numbers he would put up if he had the likes of a healthy Griffey and Kearns, along with the emergence of WMP, hitting around him for any length of time.

Great job Adam!! I'm glad the team didn't listen to me last year and decided to keep you. Go figure?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I agree and disagree. I don't think Adam Dunn will ever hit more than 30 homeruns in a year. How many years has he gotten to 25 or so by the All Star break only to end up with 27? This year, he has 26 now and if he gets to the 30 mark, I'll kiss Boss' feet in front of Great American Ball Park.
    Adam Dunn hit home run numbers 30 and 31 last night. Pucker up. :mhcky21:
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

1)Big and Bulky, too slow in the field.
    When you have had Russell Branyan playing LF, Adam Dunn looks more and more like Willie Mays out there. One of the positives to Dunn is that he has a CANNON in the OF. Name me a lot of players who can throw a ball from the OF to home plate from their knees?

2)Strikes out WAY too much, for someone who is VERY selective at the plate.
    Dunn is also fifth in the majors in walks. If you look at Jim Thome's stats, he has struck out more in a season than Dunn, and still produced.

3)Horrid with runners in scoring position
    I wouldnt say horrid, but he hits .287 with runners on base(not RISP). If you focus on average, yes, but his OPS is 1.007 with runners in scoring position.

Also, kudos to Steel on his OPS post. That is key to understanding Dunns value.

4)Is not a .300 hitter
    Sammy Sosa's stats in select years-
    1993-.261 33 HR 93 RBI
    1995-.268 36 HR 119 RBI
    1996-.273 40 HR 100 RBI
    1997-.251 36 HR 119 RBI

Dunn is only as good as the players you put around him. I believe once the Reds fill a few holes and the key players begin to click, Dunn will hit a lot better than he is now.

5)Not a very good baserunner or fielder.
    See point 1 on fielding. I think Dunn could be a better baserunner, and even be a stolen base threat if Miley would let him.

you all may criticize me if you want.....but i think we should trade him while is value is pretty high, and he is not injured. I think Willy Mo and Austin Kearns have much more upside than Dunn. Just my opinion after watching baseball closely for 25 years.
    Im all for keeping Willy Mo Pena, but Kearns can go if he can get us a return like the Cardinals got for JD Drew. I realize with Kearns the potential is there, but he isnt the worlds greatest at staying healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Dunn is a potential future HOFer. One of the youngest and fastest in history to reach 100 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    When you have had Russell Branyan playing LF, Adam Dunn looks more and more like Willie Mays out there. One of the positives to Dunn is that he has a CANNON in the OF. Name me a lot of players who can throw a ball from the OF to home plate from their knees?
    Unfortunately he has problems throwing the ball from LF to 3rd base. He's got a great arm, no doubt about it. But you wouldn't know it by looking at the majority of his throws. I think I remember him saying recently that he can throw a football great but he's not so good with a baseball. But I do agree that he has improved considerably on his fielding over the past few years.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

BTW, according to espn.com/mlb/bbtn/index?new (or s/t to that effect...) Dunn is major league leader in homers in "late and tight situations"

Quote Originally Posted by ifreelgood
    While he hits some pretty homeruns, he is not very good in other aspects of the game.

1)Big and Bulky, too slow in the field.
    2)Strikes out WAY too much, for someone who is VERY selective at the plate.
    3)Horrid with runners in scoring position
    4)Is not a .300 hitter
    5)Not a very good baserunner or fielder.

you all may criticize me if you want.....but i think we should trade him while is value is pretty high, and he is not injured. I think Willy Mo and Austin Kearns have much more upside than Dunn. Just my opinion after watching baseball closely for 25 years.
    Oh sure, and if the unproven prospects that we get for Dunn pan out, you'll be demanding that they get traded as well. If WMP & Kearns ever demonstrate that "upside," you'll be demanding that they get traded as well.

Why is it that so many Reds fans who post to RedsZone can't stand to watch great players like Adam Dunn?

Quote Originally Posted by crector
    Oh sure, and if the unproven prospects that we get for Dunn pan out, you'll be demanding that they get traded as well. If WMP & Kearns ever demonstrate that "upside," you'll be demanding that they get traded as well.

Why is it that so many Reds fans who post to RedsZone can't stand to watch great players like Adam Dunn?
    I've never understood that either. Some posters here almost seem to believe that the way to build a winning team is by trading away all your good players.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Don't know why this was bumped, but I don't like it.

The GAB was made for Adam Dunn.

To watch Dunn go for 50 homeruns every year for the next 10 years is going to put fans in the stands and fear into opposing pitchers.

He's a 100-RBI machine for the next 10 years.

Untouchable. Completely untouchable. Well, I'd take Prior for him, but other than Prior, .....nahh...not even Prior, as the Cubs rushed him too soon and now there's concerns.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Homer Bailey will be the last piece to a World Championship team in 2008. Dunn will hit 50, Pena will hit 50, and Kearns will hit .350 with 35 HR's.

We'll have the greatest outfield in the history of baseball. 135 HR's
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Don't know why this was bumped, but I don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I don't think Adam Dunn will ever hit more than 30 homeruns in a year. This year, he has 26 now and if he gets to the 30 mark, I'll kiss Boss' feet in front of Great American Ball Park.
    I bumped it up so we can see some feet kissing!
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Oh, OK. I forgot to add that I didn't read what was posted on it today.

Went right to my opinion. Boy, is that haughty or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Oh, OK. I forgot to add that I didn't read what was posted on it today.

Went right to my opinion. Boy, is that haughty or what?
    Look before you leap.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?