Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which teams are most in need of new/revised uniforms?

Which teams are most in need of new/revised uniforms?

Well, since the Reds chances are pretty much down the drain, I think I'd rather talk about something other than the results we're seeing on the field. The Pirates and Reds wearing of throwbacks this weekend got me to thinking about this:

Which MLB teams are most in need of new uniform designs or at least revisions to what they currently wear? Here's my list:

Diamondbacks: Are they purple and teal, like at home, or are they black and gold, like on the road? The best thing this franchise could do is pick a design and cap logo and use them all the time. This mixed identity thing just doesn't get it.

Mets: Get rid of the hideous black caps and take the black out of the uniforms altogether!!! No one further than three feet away can even make out the "NY" logo on those black caps. Whoever decided that navy on black makes a good color combination? They had a classic look in '69 and they went back to it for a time in the 90s, if I'm not mistaken. They need to dust those off...immediately.

Blue Jays: This one is easy. Dump the ugly black and graphite things they started wearing in April and bring back their late 90s look.

Twins: They need to decide if they're the 1987 and later Twins with the "M" logo and matching uniforms, or the pre-1988 Twins with the "TC" caps and corresponding uniforms. Their choice for the past couple of seasons has been to match the old "TC" caps with the "M" uniforms. Am I the only one who thinks that they're mismatched?

Royals: They had a classic, then they ruined it with all the black. All they have to do is bring back the ones they had. It wasn't broke, so why the "fix"?

Five other teams have good designs, but a color shift here and there would help:

Marlins: Nice design, the same one they started with in '93. But must there be SO much black? Black logo on a black cap/helmet? See: Mets. Just add a little color, guys, and you've got the makings of a classic.

Reds (Road): Red caps and red sleeves, home and road. Please and Thank you!

Pirates: A little more yellow/gold wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mind to see the old mustard caps brought back. Hey, it looked good on Clemente.

Astros: The only changes I'd like to see here would be a permanent change to the burnt orange caps that are now used as alternates, with helmets the same color. All the lettering on the uniforms is orange, yet the caps are black. Match 'em up, boys.

Cardinals (Road): Same as the Astros. The lettering on their road grays is red, yet they top it off with navy caps and helmets. Again, match the lettering and the helmets, please.

As you can tell, I absolutely hate MLB teams' obsession with using black. I can live with teams like the Reds and Royals using it, although I strongly disagree with it. But other teams have shoved it into their designs with disastrous results (see: Rangers alternates, Mets). I also hate the solid-color jerseys that so many teams wear as alternates. They're okay for spring training or BP, but when the game starts, put on your white or your gray.

What I'd like to see is more teams with bright colors, just used very sparingly. I don't want to see a return to the eye-numbing styles of the 70s, but rather more teams take advantage of the opportunity to wear bright colors as trim, lettering, and on their caps/helmets. I get tired of looking out on the field and seeing one black or navy team playing another black or navy team.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which teams are most in need of new/revised uniforms?

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I also hate the solid-color jerseys that so many teams wear as alternates. They're okay for spring training or BP, but when the game starts, put on your white or your gray.

What I'd like to see is more teams with bright colors, just used very sparingly. I don't want to see a return to the eye-numbing styles of the 70s, but rather more teams take advantage of the opportunity to wear bright colors as trim, lettering, and on their caps/helmets. I get tired of looking out on the field and seeing one black or navy team playing another black or navy team.
    Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Just get rid of all the black, please. It's starting to get ridiculous. And you know my feelings about the Reds uniform, macro.

Notice that the Reds couldn't even wear the throwback uniform without hints of black all around? (Helmets, sleeves) Kinda ruins it for me, not to mention the shabby looking throwback stuff that Majestic is putting out.(Attention to detail is awful) Not even close to the originals.

Mitchell and Ness. Now there is where MLB should always go for the throwback uniforms.

This one's for you, Randy.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I LUV those unis... not only because they were the first for me as a Reds fan, but they were simple and stylish (not fadish sp?). (Gully looks great - were did you get the pic RFS?
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Now that you got me started, another thing that bothers me is that hardly anyone wears real stirrups anymore. I hate the solid color socks and the socks with the stripe are just hideous. Bring back the stirrups.

I heard Rob Dibble on the Dan Patrick show the other day, and he said that he found an old pair of wool stirrup socks from the 70's in the recesses of Riverfront Stadium and wore them for the majority of his career with the Reds. He said that you could find all kind of old uniforms and such in Riverfront. Said the Reds never got rid of anything, and added his tightwad comment about the organization. Dont care for Dibble, but if the shoe fits.................

Ahhhhhhhhh...............thanks RFS62. That is tops in my book. Have one of those jerseys in my collection, with the #5 on the back.

Like the low stirrups and the pants at mid calf as well.

I'm not sure where I came across that one, Kitty. Found it on the internet a while back. Feel free to download it.

I've got a few others from the 60's and 70's if you're interested I could post.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Here's a different version.

Now that you got me started, another thing that bothers me is that hardly anyone wears real stirrups anymore. I hate the solid color socks and the socks with the stripe are just hideous. Bring back the stirrups.
    I think that the stirrups are long gone - only because you have so many players who never really wore them growing up. Agree with the stripe. The Dragons last Saturday were wearing green socks with an awful horizontal black stripe - YEECH!
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

The Maloney picture is from '67.

And here's a great version with the vests. Today's vests are a joke, they look like they just left off the sleeves.

No I don't like the pinstripe look - even on "blondie"... Too much like the the evil empire.

Gotta show us the road uni from that era, RFS62. It was the real classic of the two, in my book.

Turn Off Ads?