Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next season "Simpsons" news

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Next season "Simpsons" news

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...11&u=/eo/14595

By Josh Grossberg

A Simpsons toon is coming out of the closet. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Speaking during a weekend panel at San Diego's Comic-Con convention, show producers dropped a bomb: An upcoming Simpsons story line will focus on what happens when Springfield legalizes gay marriage.

"We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalizes gay marriage," producer Al Jean told comic book fans. "Homer becomes a minister by going on the Internet and filling out a form. A longtime character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who."

And with that, Simpsons aficionados got their gaydar on and began winnowing down the list of potential suspects.

The early favorite appears to be billionaire Monty Burns' ever-devoted sidekick, Waylon Smithers, who--aside from being a yes-man--has been known to collect Malibu Stacy dolls, lives in the gay part of town (where Homer once shacked up with two gay guys), has a Mr. Burns screensaver and dreams of a naked Mr. Burns jumping out of a birthday cake.

But that might be too easy. According to online fan scuttlebutt, there are other characters who might be secretly having a gay old time in Springfield, including Homer's regular-guy cohorts at the nuclear plant, Carl and Lenny, as well as Moe the bartender, the Reverend Lovejoy, Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy. Of course, the producers didn't rule out a lesbian wedding, either.

"It's Homer!" said a joking Simpsons creator Matt Groening to conventiongoers.

The gay marriage-themed episode is scheduled to air in January.

While the coming-out comments generated the most interest, the show's brain trust also outlined some other upcoming plots. For instance, Springfield residents will also have a cow over corrupt Mayor Quimby and seek to recall him from office--a riff on California recall election in which Arnold Schwarzenegger defeated then Governor Gray Davis. No word whether The Simpsons' Ah-nuld look-alike, Rainier Wolfcastle, will be leading the effort to replace Quimby.

Meanwhile, celebs expected to lend their voices to the show next season include Kim Cattrall, Ray Romano, James Caan and rapper 50 Cent.

Groening also addressed the long-talked about Simpsons animated movie. He said that plans are still underway, but work on a big screen version won't begin until the tube series takes its final bow.

That could be awhile.

Now heading into its 16th season, The Simpsons is still posting solid ratings and consistently ranks number one in its Sunday time slot for adults 18-49, the category coveted by advertisers. It has also become the longest running comedy series on the tube and has spawned a billion-dollar franchise for Fox, which after some protracted negotiations, agreed to a new four-year deal with the show's six stars that gave each of them a whopping pay raise to $250,000 per episode.

Plenty of d'oh, indeed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Next season "Simpsons" news

I read that Warren Sapp was going to be doing an episode with Yao Ming after the Super Bowl next year as well. There was a third athlete mentioned but I can't remember who it was.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

My money's on Carl and Lenny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Smithers gets my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Smithers gets my vote.
    Too easy. Besides he'd never give anyone else his devotion but Burns. It'll probably end up being someone like Capt. McAllister or Gil or Moleman.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm surprised that Fox is letting them do this. I'm sure that we can look forward to a couple of Fox affiliates balking at showing this episode. No way this airs in Salt Lake City.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I'm surprised that Fox is letting them do this. I'm sure that we can look forward to a couple of Fox affiliates balking at showing this episode. No way this airs in Salt Lake City.
    I dont know, I had read that the South Park episode calling the Mormons "dum dum dum dum dum" was aired in Utah, and nobody noticed. This might be different though, where Fox is local channels and Comedy Central is cable/satellite.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Ol' Gil? I hope not, he's been going through a rough stretch. I'm going with another fairly obvious one-Patty Bouvier.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Ol' Gil? I hope not, he's been going through a rough stretch. I'm going with another fairly obvious one-Patty Bouvier.
    I doubt it'd be Patty cause what would happen with Selma? Would all 3 live there or would Selma be on her own?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Didnt realize this thread hadnt been addressed yet, but step forward and claim your prize.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Tough call. There's always Jub Jub to keep Selma company
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Tough call. There's always Jub Jub to keep Selma company
    Not to mention McGyver reruns. I think it'll be a minor character cause they did this when they said someone would die and it turned out to be Maude Flanders.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well, Homer is always saying things like

"Stupid sexy Flanders!"

Agree that Smithers is too obvious.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's gonna be...Moe.

I think its gonna be Moe also - but my surprise pick is Principal Skinner.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I think its gonna be Moe also - but my surprise pick is Principal Skinner.
    Nah, not those two. Moe's always on the make - especially when Marge and Homer have falling outs - and Skinner has Edna Crabapple.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?