Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviews: 'The Village'

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Reviews: 'The Village'

Are there any more 'word of mouth' reviews from RedsZoners?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    Are there any more 'word of mouth' reviews from RedsZoners?
    My wife and I went to see it tonight. It was slighltly better than average movie. I actually mentioned to my wife yesterday what I thought the "twist" of the movie would be and lo and behold it was. I won't give it away but if you pay attention to what is said more than what is happening you can figure it out. Opie's (Ron Howard) daughter(I forgot her name) is very good in it,by far the best acting performance in the movie. I give it a 3 star out of 5 rating.

Easily one of the worst movies I've seen this year so far. And this coming from a big MNS fan.

SPOILER!!!!

I've got to get several things off my chest about this movie...

1) Entering the movie, I had a totally different idea about the movie than I did when I left. From the previews, they made it seem as if the monsters were actual monsters (which is what I wanted to see), but ofcourse you later find out that they are the elders in costumes. Pretty lame if you ask me.

2) How the hell can you think of a plot like this? To quote Ron Burgandy, that's just dumb. Seriously...all throughout the movie, you're picking up this vibe that it's taking place during the 1600's, than when she left Covington Woods, she ends up during the modern times -- so basically a group moved out to the middle of a government park and started their own civilization.

Overall, I left terribly disappointed. I got all hyped up over this, thinking it would be "Signs" or "Sixth Sense" all over again. Instead, I considered leaving early.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon
    Easily one of the worst movies I've seen this year so far. And this coming from a big MNS fan.

SPOILER!!!!

so basically a group moved out to the middle of a government park and started their own civilization.

Just a quick note, it wasn't a govmt park. It was owned (and named after) William Hurt's character.

Walker Wildlife Refuge
    Walker Security
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Oh yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me. But how can you just create your own village, pretty much excluding yourself from today's society, while still living in America without nobody ever knowing about it? Seems kind of farfetched if you ask me.
    -Steve Stone

Oh yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me. But how can you just create your own village, pretty much excluding yourself from today's society, while still living in America without nobody ever knowing about it? Seems kind of farfetched if you ask me.

it's a movie :mhcky21:
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

If I wanted to see a farfetched movie, I would have gone across the hallway and saw "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle."
    -Steve Stone

mmmmm.... white castle...
    Suck it up cupcake.

The reviews of this one are coming in as increasingly poor - I saw The Manchurian Candidate this weekend instead. Unfortunately, it also stank. Anyway. I'll wait for DVD on this one.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    The reviews of this one are coming in as increasingly poor - I saw The Manchurian Candidate this weekend instead. Unfortunately, it also stank. Anyway. I'll wait for DVD on this one.
    I didn't think The Manchurian Candidate was that bad. It certainly had moments of predictability, but overall I thought it was pretty well done.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The direction was technically proficient, but Demme got crap for performances from his actors, I thought. Everyone seemed wooden to me, and the co-called "emotional moments" didn't resonate. My opinion.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I think "wooden" was how Schreiber's character was supposed to be.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If I wanted to see a farfetched movie, I would have gone across the hallway and saw "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle."
    I've seen both and Harold and Kumar is better.

That said Mrs. WOY pulled the surprise out before the end and we laughed...... very film school.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The slightly-addled guy who works as a ticket-taker at my favorite theater asks me every time I go there if I've seen this movie yet. He thinks it's great. I just saw Shymalan's "Unbreakable" on cable over the weekend. It was underwhelming, so based on that and the reviews I'm skipping this one.

OTOH, "The Bourne Identity" is a terrific spy/action flick. Never saw the original, but I've seen it twice.
    /r/reds

Back then, didn't people sneak off into the woods to go to the bathroom?

If I lived in the woods I'd be a little upset at the villagers constantly soiling up my forrest..."Hey! Do I come walking into your village to relieve myself?"

How would you like it if you were one of "Those We Do Not Speak Of", and you were taking a morning stroll throw the woods with your family, and you're constantly having to remind your kids to watch where they walk?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?