Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Jones traded

Re: Todd Jones traded

Not sure if they didn't get more back when they dealt the Phils their backup catcher last year, whats-his-name.

Not a bad deal though for a guy picked up off the waiver wire in ST. If Machado can appraoch his 02 season in AA- 750 OPS with 40 steals, he could be a good utility guy.

Hancock is probably no worse than Belisle-spot starter/middle relief.

Tyson was planning on fighting 4-5 fights on pay per view to pay off the IRS and debtors $19 million. That's going to be tough to accomplish now.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-31-2004 at 12:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hancock's minor league K/9 is right at 7.00. And in 10 innings at the major league level, he had 10 K's.

He will suffice as a #4-#5 starter with a bullpen spot in mind.

Machado does appear to be the next Juan Castro.

Considering what we gave up, I'd grade this trade as a B-.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Does anyone have a writeup on either of these guys, like a BA article? Does Machado project to hit for a better average as he ages? Exactly how many walks did he have last year? This information would be helpful.

Unrelated side note: Eric Davis's posts are just like the real Eric Davis's defensive range. . . all over the place :MandJ:

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man
    Does anyone have a writeup on either of these guys, like a BA article? Does Machado project to hit for a better average as he ages? Exactly how many walks did he have last year? This information would be helpful.

Unrelated side note: Eric Davis's posts are just like the real Eric Davis's defensive range. . . all over the place :MandJ:
    Thank you.

I posted above the information I could find on Hancock. There was one Phillies Insider site where that I couldn't get to (for monetary reasons) that talks about him as their #14 prospect with a related article.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

paulrichjr said:
    "Didn't he say that he was looking for a MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHER? Isn't that exactly what he got? How was he lying?"

He was lying (don't get me wrong; it's fine if he was lying to drive up trade value) because O'Brien was implying that trades would only be made to UPGRADE the Reds current roster. This trade obviously was not designed to do that. There is no question that this trade made the Reds current roster worse. Anyone disagree with that?

I just think it would have been more effective for our GM to come out and say; " Given our position in the standings and our long range goals we will do what ever we can to build our minor lesgues and future of our organization by listening to offers for players who are not in our long-range plans." It's insulting to tell the fans that the Reds are looking to make a trade because the think they can win this year. One would have to be naive or stupid (or both) to believe that.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    He's had a lot of injuries (face/pelvis) hopefully he keeps healthy to see and show what he can do. Seems like w/o injuries he has done ok.

Something like a ball hitting your face has go to be like suffering several concussions...no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Has to be devastating to come back from.

I like the comments about how he finished his 2003 season and his efforts in the Arizona Fall League last fall.

He'll be in camp Spring Training fighting for a roster spot. He has enough ability right now. Of course we're talking about the RED's staff, but let's see. I'd stick him in the Arizona Fall League again.
    It must be awful. Just ask Sean Casey.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Thank you.
    Seriously, I'm envious that you are able to do back-to-back-to-back posts. You must have awesome typing skills or an itchy trigger finger (or both)!

Who knows? If the kid really does weigh in the 140 range, maybe a couple of pork chops could improve his offensive outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Hasn't M2 been requesting Machado for a couple of years now? That was M2 wasn't it?

Aren't you going to take credit for it now that it's actually come to life?

Looks like Stewie suggested getting him the other day.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

This trade was horrible, I think Jones was our most reliable bullpen pitcher (though that's not saying much). He also was a great asset to the team as a chemistry builder. He seemed to always have a positive attitude. (Notice all the times he pied the guys when they were on TV and stuff?)

What are they thinking?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Good trade imo...

From BP 2004 Machado

Regarded as teh Phils top SS prospect, he's just spent his second full season at Reading, slugging an awful .296.

He's well regarded defensively, he's fast and he knows how to take a walk; in fact he led the league in walks and steals. the big buts are hitting for average and striking out.

Sounds like Ramon Vazquez to me.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Machado's Stats from the 03-04 Winter League in Venezuela
    (couldn't hit there either).

AVG G AB R H 2b3b hr RBI BB K SB CS
    MACHADO ANDERSON (AGUI) .188 37 85 11 16 3 3 0 2 17 29 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500

What are they thinking?
    That the team ERA is already 5.18, Jones is old and a FA and they have iffy middle infield prospects?
    Last edited by westofyou; 07-31-2004 at 12:40 AM.

Turn Off Ads?